MGB GT V8 build. **SOLD**

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
steve massey

Re: MGB GT V8 build..

#21 Post by steve massey » Fri May 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks for all this matey,really intresting,looking forward to seeing the end result !!!Good luck !!!

3xpendable

#22 Post by 3xpendable » Sat May 19, 2012 5:36 pm

steve massey wrote:Thanks for all this matey,really intresting,looking forward to seeing the end result !!!Good luck !!!
No worries Steve, its nice to hear from followers :)

Not much going on with it at the moment due to other priorities, but when more gets done i'll be updating without fail!
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

3xpendable

#23 Post by 3xpendable » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Final welding is done, but unfortunately this project is being held up by the weather as I need some dry warm days to paint it, so until we get that I can't do much.

As a side note, i'm looking to move nearer home after the summer to get this, and my Anglia rebuilt in the next year
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

3xpendable

#24 Post by 3xpendable » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:05 pm

One of the things holding the project up before the respray has ben the final shaping of the scuttle where it meets the wing tops. The wings from the donor car looked better than the ones that came with the new shell so I wanted to use them, but they were welded to the sill instead of being attached by the usual self tapping screws. Being in a polytunnel meant we couldnt grind them off so we got a chance on the weekend to look at them. The drovers side came off with a few small holes drilled, the passenger side was cut as close to the base as possible

Both wings are pretty tidy amd more importantly, are unrepaired originals. The others are rubber bumper items with bodged repairs so i'm glad I swapped them. They just need some localised repairs.

Upon removing them, it showed just how far gone the donor car was:

Hope to have more progress soon...
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

Richard Moss

#25 Post by Richard Moss » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:41 am

Nice work

75nut

#26 Post by 75nut » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Wow and I thought mine was crusty lol! Nice work!

3xpendable

#27 Post by 3xpendable » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I now have a V8 engine, 3.9 litres :D

Bargain off eBay as it had no picture, but the description was detailed enough I was happy it was good. It had done 90,000 miles in a Range Rover and the guy threw in some extras and delivery too.

I will be using a carburettor so wont be needing the injection system. I want to rebuild it so first job was to strip and check it:

No need for the wiring loom

Looking clean so far

Bores are all good :)

Stripped as much as I could over the weekend

Next job is to find somewhere I can dip the block to clean it as, coming from a 4x4 it was quite dry and dusty/muddy
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

3xpendable

#28 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:39 am

Popped home this weekend and did a bit to the car, but my time was predominantly taken up with stripping the cylinder head off an Aston DB7.

After that though I started with the scuttle shaping for the wings I am going to use. The drivers side wasnt too far off but the passenger side needs some more meat adding on to match the contour of the wing. I will be taking the beading off and replacing it with rupper T beading which will help prevent rust but also give a bit of flexibility of fitment.
I have decided not to incorporate the rubber bumper's GT pillar badges so began shaping over that area to make it standard as per chrome bumper cars, along with sealing the rear wing to valence seams. They look a bit notieceable at the moment but seam sealer has smoothed them out and once the rear valence is stonechipped it should blend in nicely.

Basically is the front scuttle shaping and some tidying up of the rear valence to do before the car can be painted, but I may leave the valence as I have to relocate the exhaust lip/s for the twin pipe layout anyway. I havent stripped the block anymore as I didn't get time, but want to find a way to clean it before I start stripping it more so that it can be cleaned as soon as its stripped.

Finally, I changed one of the flat tyres so that it can be wheeled around by one person.
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

Luxobarge

#29 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:56 am

Good thread this, keep it going. Remember, as per section banner, just because you don't get replies doesn't mean we're not interested, I'm sure lots of us are enthralled, I certainly am!

Good quality work and it'll be an "interesting" drive when it's done eh?

Not sure about the block cleaning thing, when I've done this I've done it the hard/slow way, put it on a large drip tray, clean down with de-greaser (or juest plain paraffin, to avoid the need to spray it with water) then cleaned all the rest of the crud off with a variety of different shaped wire brushes in a drill. I'd be very tempted to blast it too, but I share your concern about grit getting in, it would need to be VERY carefully sealed before I went down that route. Also a blasted surface will tend to be quite rough/matt and will look lovely at first but will quickly pick up oily marks, whereas a brushed surface tends to be much smoother and will wipe clean.

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

tractorman

#30 Post by tractorman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Like Mr o'barge, I am enjoying this project too!

Apparently oven cleaner is good for cleaning engines - and I suspect Fairy Powerspray stuff may work surprisingly well. The link below shows a tractor being cleaned with oven cleaner!

http://www.dbtc.co.uk/index.php?name=PN ... c&start=30

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to the paint job, though you have competition from a certain American pick-up truck!