MGB GT V8 build. **SOLD**

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: MGB GT V8 build..

#101 Post by JPB » Thu May 29, 2014 8:26 am

rich. wrote:name & shame them mate :evil:
Depends on why the bits aren't fitting. I agree that some suppliers are rubbish these days but.....
welshie wrote:converted to chrome bumper
welshie wrote:1971 MGB GT V8 (conversion in progress)
:?

So which is it? The difference in chassis legs and engine mounts between the two would confuse some folk.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

3xpendable

#102 Post by 3xpendable » Thu May 29, 2014 10:13 am

JPB wrote:
rich. wrote:name & shame them mate :evil:
Depends on why the bits aren't fitting. I agree that some suppliers are rubbish these days but.....
My thoughts exactly, they aren't made by them, and if I don't hear anything back in the next week then I'll name.

Chassis legs are the same, its just the engine mounts and bulkhead thats different ;)
Last edited by 3xpendable on Thu May 29, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

JPB

#103 Post by JPB » Thu May 29, 2014 11:01 am

Ah, so my failure to comprehend the nature of the beast then. ;)

I'm tempted to post these words: "If we're talking about R***** B******* then how about just saying so, because their ability to supply correctly fitting and otherwise fit for purpose exhaust components has been drawn into question on a couple of occasions by my own experience of trading with them, to say nothing of their way of addressing issues raised by buyers who would quite gladly have accepted any reasonable explanation but didn't appreciate being called an idiot over the phone by someone whose own grasp of basic literacy and numeracy may well have been quite poor," but then you'd probably - and quite justifiably - question the sanity of someone who'd go back for more rubbish service and verbal abuse, so I'll not say a word except that the situation is getting worse (generally, no further reference to any single rogue supplier) and we have a situation where those who started comparatively recently as quality alternatives to the slack and overly complacent existing outlets are now going the same way. Especially in the areas of ignition system parts and brake cylinders at sensible cost.

So who's up for forming a classic vehicle spares cooperative on a national basis with different members electing to take care of a particular area; electrics including ignition, trim, brake system, fuelling, glazing, panels, engine and gearbox, etc. and a basic selection of the most commonly and/or urgently required items being held at a dozen or so locations to cover the UK, RoI and maybe a chunk of Europe if an initial trial run in the UK were successful?
How hard could it be?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#104 Post by tractorman » Thu May 29, 2014 11:10 am

I have to agree about pattern parts though; it's much the same in the tractor world - where suppliers or retailers seem to think that something that was painted red for a Massey Ferguson can be painted blue and is then suitable for a Fordson (or white and will fit a David Brown) - and it is such poor quality that it isn't suitable for the MF anyway!

TerryG

#105 Post by TerryG » Thu May 29, 2014 10:36 pm

To avoid filling this thread with various rants about pattern parts, I have split those posts off and put them here:
http://practicallyclassics.phpbbhosts.c ... f=4&t=5283

Please treat the new thread as a place to vent your frustration about the quality of components (but try to keep the language clean) :)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

3xpendable

#106 Post by 3xpendable » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:05 am

I debated adding this update as it isn't much, but here goes:

Haven't been home in over a month till this weekend gone, The exhaust manifolds are modified now to fit properly but we didn't get time to atached them, I'm going home this coming weekend so intend to jack the engine to fit them, fingers crossed there isn't too much work involved in getting some engine bay clearance. I did however get to fit my shiny new inlet manifold :)

Due to being occupied with other things we didn't get a chance to get tucked into much else, finishing the electronics is the priority at the moment and dad is modifying the gear lever to fit. I'm still waiting for him to finish painting the rear wing as I really can't do any paint cutting or assembly until thats done, but something else always seems to come up. Instead, I started dismanting whats left of the donor car yesterday: Got most of the ancilliaries off ready to take the engine out, then we'll roll it outside and take the axles off ready for it to be scrapped. When I removed the windscreen the amount of rot around the whole screen, not just the bottom, was shocking.

So, in summary, its going, but still painfully slow. I intended to have it done by September, then I changed to just wanting the engine running by September, I think even thats going to be a stretch now. However I'm not stressing, I'm resigned to the fact that it will be done when its done!
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

Luxobarge

#107 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:30 am

Welshie wrote: However I'm not stressing, I'm resigned to the fact that it will be done when its done!
That's exactly the right approach, in my experience, a feeling I very much identify with.

Cor - that's looking good, keep the updates coming!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

tractorman

#108 Post by tractorman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:40 am

You can't hurry a good thing - as we all know to our cost! If you did get stuck into the job, I suspect you'd make mistakes and have more fettling to do when the car is "finished". By taking longer to do the job, you have time to think and plan and should end up with a well-sorted machine.

As Luxo says, keep the updates coming!

Fatbloke

#109 Post by Fatbloke » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 am

Absolutely agree, you can't hurry a good thing.

When I used to work on my daily cars all those years ago, I always had the deadline of getting it back on the road on "Monday" as I had to drive it to work. I really didn't enjoy those experiences at all.

However, I love tinkering with the Herald as although I would much rather be driving it, there is no absolute urgency for any work to be done. I can take my time and hopefully avoid mistakes and the bodges that were sometimes necessary to meet the "monday deadline"

I've even gained the confidence to undertake work on the more "modern" cars in the Fatbloke household fleet. (by "modern" I mean a 2004 VW touran that we've had since new and a 2003 Daewoo that we inherited from my Mum for the Girls) And as we are a 4 car household with only 3 drivers there is usually a spare to use while I tinker, so again, no desperate urgency! Apart from wife and daughter nagging me to get their car done! :roll:

Any way. I'm enjoying the tales of the MG. keep up the good work and good luck.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

Fatbloke

#110 Post by Fatbloke » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:26 am

PS. Although I am beginning to get fed up with the ignition problem that's grounded the Herald for over a week now! :( :evil:
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald