stag

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
grumpy2

stag

#1 Post by grumpy2 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:09 am

I'm going to pick my first stag this weekend. It's cheap and cheerful, wont win any prizes but is as strong as an ox, so I'm happy.

A few jobs are on my to-do list and a spot of guidance would be useful.

there's a slight blow on the earside exhaust that I can hear from under the bonnet, I'm thinking gasket or exhaust downpipe, which is more likely?

the fuel gauge is all over the place PO says it never reads full, sender or gauge?

and the drivers seat needs some attention, the edging has worn through and the seat base has ripped. repair, replace with SH seat and recover with new (ouch-expensive)

thanks in advance

G

MG Mal

Re: stag

#2 Post by MG Mal » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:00 am

there's a slight blow on the earside exhaust that I can hear from under the bonnet, I'm thinking gasket or exhaust downpipe, which is more likely?
I usually find its the join to the down pipe that tends to blow, but be prepared for a manifold gasket job.

the fuel gauge is all over the place PO says it never reads full, sender or gauge?
If it's the original tank and sender, I would say change it, but ensure all connections to the gauge are good

and the drivers seat needs some attention, the edging has worn through and the seat base has ripped. repair, replace with SH seat and recover with new (ouch-expensive)

Good used in need of a little TLC can often be found through the club or on auction sites, repairs can sometimes cost as much as a recover for an individual seat

thanks in advance

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:41 am

Manifold gasket? These weren't fitted so, unless the exhaust manifold(s) have been removed and refitted before, the manifolds simply fit directly to the heads. Maybe one of them is distorted very slightly at that face, in which case refitting with fire paste or using Dolomite aftermarket gaskets between manifolds and heads would help.

J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

MG Mal

#4 Post by MG Mal » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:13 am

Dolomite aftermarket gaskets between manifolds and heads would help.
Thanks, Those are to which I refered, as My old stag had them fitted by the PO due to a slightly warped manifold.

grumpy2

#5 Post by grumpy2 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:00 pm

i think there are gaskets between the head and manifold already. I also think the blow is lower either between the manifold and header pipe or the pipe itself is holded

thanks

G

grumpy2

#6 Post by grumpy2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:55 pm

here it is

G

Aar0sc

#7 Post by Aar0sc » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Mmmmm browness :D

That's why they'll be nowt rust - the brown paint stops it :)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Mmm. Very nice! That'll be Maple, slightly less taupe-ish than Sienna but not as reddish as Russet.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

grumpy2

#9 Post by grumpy2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:48 pm

supposed to be Russett Brown??

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Russet's later than the car, and it looks more like Maple but it could have been painted and this monitor's not the best in the world. Actually, it's not the best in the room....

What's the paint code? That'll tell you/me/us what it is.
Maple is 73 or 83, Russet is 93 or 203 and Sienna is 23.
J