stag

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
grumpy2

Re: stag

#11 Post by grumpy2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:39 pm

where do i find the code? cars locked away in my lockup now, so will have a look in a day or two

G

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:06 pm

It's on the commission plate which I think is found on the bonnet hinge panel, just inboard of the n/s bonnet hinge as in this photo:

I haven't seen one in ages and that was a RHD, so allow for my being wrong, possibly. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

grumpy2

#13 Post by grumpy2 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:05 am

that plate isnt there. the car has had a full respray at some time, not bad either. The colour hasn't changed though the outer surfaces are the same colour as the inner unseen areas. I bought a touch-up from James Paddock in Russett and that matches perfectly so I'm reasonably confident it's russett brown. Pity it's not old english white though, I really like that colour but don't think they made stags in old english white the white looks much brighter like snowberry.

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:10 am

Has the car been given an earlier registration at some time? Russett wasn't around until 1977 at the earliest so unless someone changed the colour during a rebuild at some point - and you've already mentioned that this is unlikely - then either you've been sold Maple as Russett or the car's newer than its plate. :?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

grumpy2

#15 Post by grumpy2 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:02 pm

eek, time to check out some numbers I think.

thanks for the heads up

G

JPB

#16 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 pm

You're welcome.
I eventually found a list that shows not only Triumph colours and codes but which includes the dates of the various colours too. Below are the shades listed under Brown, which takes in beiges too since Sandglow and Honeysuckle are among these:

Name of Colour/ Paint Code/ Year
Honeysuckle/ NAD/39/ 72-77
Maple/ 73/ 73-77
Russet Brown/ AAE/205/93/ 77-81
Sand Glow/ AAJ/63/ 76-77
Sienna/ 23/ 69-73

From those dates, yours should be Maple and that's actually what it looks like to me. Here are three images showing the three browns used on Stags, Sienna (mine) first, then Maple (think "Dairy Milk"), then Russet (much more red than the other two). (Pics show Dolomites since I have several dozen shots of those, but the colours illustrated are the same whatever they're applied to):
J

grumpy2

#17 Post by grumpy2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:10 pm

thanks again for the heads up, I've spent some time today looking at numbers and codes and hidden areas.

The car has it's ID plate on the inside of the near side door opening. The paint code is on the plate as 73 which as you show is maple. digging around further I scraped some of the underseal off and indeed the paint underneath is a different shade of brown.

The history file shows major work being undertaken about 10 years ago including a respray, it must have been very extensive as the boot, under carpets and under bonnet are russett .

the numbers all match so we're OK on that front

cheers for the info

G

JPB

#18 Post by JPB » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Phew! Glad that's all OK then. :D
J