Ford Anglia 106e (LHD) Estate

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
3xpendable

Re: Ford Anglia 106e (LHD) Estate - Now in the USA!

#101 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:39 pm

Forgot to add I did an oil change on my daily. Not the worst I've ever done but it was considerably messy!

2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

3xpendable

#102 Post by 3xpendable » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:45 pm

Well it's official, I got the new title and number plate today!

I'm not waiting for parts from the UK before I can do much else aside from the light tinkering. I did have an issue a few days ago when we had a nice day and the garage heated up and it started pushing fuel out of the fuel cap (I had it pretty full and it looks like the breather got blocked). Aside from a scare of fuel vapour in the garage all was well. I drained about a gallon to be sure it doesn't happen again.
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

3xpendable

#103 Post by 3xpendable » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:31 pm

Waiting for some parts to come over from the UK, but I did find a company here that supplies SOME parts, so bought some oil filters ready for the new year. I'll be changing the oil again to flush out the last of the crud in the sump, and changing the diff/gearbox oil. After I've changed the crank seal the main tasks will be on the rear end, so I'll be spinning the car around in the garage after that to pull out the rear axle. I need to replace the rear shackle bushes so am taking the opportunity to paint the axle, suspension and underbody.

Started with this:

Finished with this:

Nothing but dirt and dust under there! I'll clean it up and clean the crud that as accumulated in front of the radiator.

I squirted some PB blaster and wire brushed all the bolts the night before and they all cracked off easily. A few got tight when they touched the exposed rusty thread so I had to wind them back up and put more PB on them but they all mostly came out with little more than finger tight effort. Such a joy to work on a clean rust free car. The only ones that snapped were the ones on the end of the grill and are a common weak spot:

I barely put any effort on these, holding as close to the centre as I could on a 1/4 inch ratchet and they snapped instantly. I've rarely seen these come out and they aren't crucial for holding the grill in place, so for now I'll just put it back while investigating a per permanent solution.

Bumper brackets had a lot of original paint on them!

Finally, my attention turned to the number plates. We are not required to display a front number plate where I live so I am going to keep the original french one on display. It's pressed metal so can be painted and was originally white with black digits. It did have some damage in te corner which I have pressed out the best I can.

I'll tidy it up with a grinder before painting it.

The rear number plate is a debate. At present I want to keep it, and will put the US number plate in the rear window. However upon researching I found the correct plate is yellow with black lettering, which to me doesn't look right on a car of this vintage. Especially as a brit. So my plan is to repaint it and fit it. If I dont like it, I will make a bracket with 1/2 inch bar to hold the US plate (which is narrower and taller.

Interestingly, I'm not sure why the black has all washed away on this plate!

2013 Dodge Durango R/T

3xpendable

#104 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:27 pm

Managed to get some dad free time on Sunday morning and got tucked into cleaning up the front end.

Before:

After:

Required nothing more than some hot soapy water, rubbing compound and elbow grease! This car really is super clean and amazes me every time I work on it how rust free and clean it is. It really is just dirty which having watched the new Grand Tour on Friday I can now understand (This was a French car).

Another example of how clean it is, is the chrome.

Before:

After:

Again, nothing more than a toothbrush and hot soapy water. I did replace the indicator lens too.

I was going to try and pull the dent in the front valence out but the tool I want to buy for it (and other dents) is $100 so I'm going to hold off for now. If I need the bumper off again it's only 4 bolts.

I was floored when I wire brushed the bumper arms up that most of what I thought was rust was dirt! They cleaned up nicely and after a coat of POR-15 I was shocked to still see the ENFO logo on the arms!

I also loosened the radiator so i could pull it back a touch and hoover the dust and dirt that was accumulated in front of it:

Finally, I want to take the sidelight and indicator housings out to clean them and the bodywork around them. However, I am anxious of the studs braking given what happened with the grill. So I gave them a good wire brush and soaked them in PB blaster, which I'll keep doing for the next few days.

This shot gives you another idea of how clean this car is, this is the left front (drivers side) wheelarch facing forward.
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

3xpendable

#105 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:49 pm

Had an unusually mild December here so it made working in the garage a lot more tolerable (I do have a heater if needed). Boxing day was 18C here!

So, after a week of PB blaster I still ended up snapping one of the studs on the front sidelight, so didn't try the rest. That's a job for another day. I jacked up the front, put it on axle stands and set about the front crank seal.

It was harder than Rambo but a chisel eventually got it out. When I cleaned some oil off the gearbox housing the original green paint was visible underneath! The same green paint was visible on the front of the crank pulley:

However, the fun ends there.

That definitely wasn't helping the leak! Interestingly I ran some grease on the shaft and put it back in the car to see where the seal face was actually sealing and it was BETWEEN the 2 grooves, so not sure what the story is there.

Ford crossflow pulleys aren't common out here and shipping one from the UK was cost prohibitive. So my solution was to get a sleeve. I measured the pulley in the number of locations and came up with this number:

I went to SKF's website and looked up sizes for a speedi sleeve and came up with one slightly under my nominal diameter, but it was the closest I could get. It comes with an installation tool too:

In preparation for pressing on I left the pulley in the freezer for a few days:

I then lightly heated the sleeve up and it pressed right on, voila!

I'm considering this a temporary solution and will buy a decent replacement pulley when I visit the UK later this yr.

The proper procedure for fitting the crank seal involves removing the radiator which I didn't want to do, so I measured the thickness between the bolt and seal:

I then made up a press sleeve from 1 3/4 inch PVC pipe and used a larger washer to act as a installation tool:

Installed!:

After that I reinstalled the pulley and fan belt. Interestingly the manual I have for the car just says 'tighten' for the crank pulley so I had to dig around to find a torque. After that I replaced the starter which I had to remove to loosen/tighten the crank bolt.

Next was the rocker cover. The cork gasket was shot and leaking badly as noted in earlier posts so I decided to replace it with a rubber gasket from Burton Power. Here is the old and new gasket:

I fitted the gasket to the rocker cover with RTV and left it for a few hours to set before fitting it to the car:

After that I set about digging out all the grease nipples and putting new grease in the joints. The car lived in a dry dusty climate, so anywhere that had fluids is covered in the thick dirt crust. Exhibit A:

Some digging with a screwdriver and a wirebrush made them accessible one by one:

Some didn't take much, others took a lot of grease so I'm glad I did them. Next winter will be the front end rebuild so they only have to last a year. I then changed the oil and filter, my brother had done it prior to shipping and said there was a lot of sludge in the sump so given the car has done about 80 miles since then I decided to change it and see if there were any issues. The filter looked great as did the oil so it was replaced with 20W50. I did make a rookie mistake because I'm so used to thinner oils. That mistake was not leaving enough time to check the dipstick after top up and I ended up overfilling slightly. So I had to drain that to the 'full' level bearing in mind when I run it up next it will drop when it fills the filter. Lesson learned!

I haven't had a chance to check the gearbox oil level yet, but the fact it the tail seal had leaked some oil on the floor when the car was up on stands indicates it was adequate. I will be changing the gearbox and diff oil in due course, and probably next year changing the gearbox for a 1200 version as they are 4 synchro and generally make the car more pleasurable to drive.

After all that, it was time for some cosmetics. As we don't have a front number plate requirement here I want to retain at least the original front plate, and I can hopefully retain the rear and put the USA plate in the rear window.
I cleaned the plates up with paint stripper:

For the front, I coated with white:

Followed by getting a paint pen for the letters. Up close you can see they are hand painted but at any reasonable distance they look fine. I think it looks great!

Same process for the rear number plate:

And that brings it up to date! This week I'm going to rotate the car in the garage so I can get started on removing the rear axle and painting it/the underbody.

Another project I finally started over the Christmas break was on my 1:200 Titanic model. I intend to make this radio controlled so started drilling all the portholes:

2013 Dodge Durango R/T

3xpendable

#106 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:56 pm

Forgot to add, I took a cool photo of the car over the Christmas break:

2013 Dodge Durango R/T

3xpendable

#107 Post by 3xpendable » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:45 pm

I have dollies on loan from a friend to spin the car around in the garage, but as it turns out it was pleasantly warm enough earlier this week to get it out of the garage. I wanted to prime the oil filter anyway and check the rocker cover seal and front crank seal were leak free so fired the car up and left her warm up a bit before spinning it around. No leaks so far!

Time to get onto the back end:

I wirebrushed all the bolts and added PB blaster. Its a bit rusty but not rotten, especially for a 56 yr old car:

I even found the axle identification tag and mostly still readable! (Didnt come out well in the photo but the top says 'RATIO' and below it is '105E')

Another shot of the inner wheelarches and chassis rails. My plan is to touch up the rusty parts with rust sealant and blue paint, then laquer the whole area to keep the original patina.

The rear dent will be fun to pull out, and for the first time I noticed the first 'through-rust' on the whole car!

Got the rear bumper off, all bolts cracked off and were finger tight after that, I love working on dry climate cars!

I got a start on wirebrushing and prepping the underside last night. While the arches and outer frame rails have original paint, the underside of the floor does not so I'll be going over it with POR-15. The area around the fuel tank will have to wait as I filled it up with ethanol free fuel and STABIL prior to the winter layup. I'm going to start by removing the brak drums and dampers and painting them separately. I'm in two minds about painting the axle in situ but will probably take it out. I have to admit the only thing stopping me taking it out is nerves about bleeding the brakes afterwards. I've never done it myself (I was always dads 'pedal pumper') so am worried I'll mess it up. As Vice Grip Garage says, maybe I would not worry about 'doing it right, just get it done'
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

gazza82

#108 Post by gazza82 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:56 pm

If the brake fluid has been in there for a while it should really be flushed through and changed to new. It attracts moisture and over time the cylinders may start to rust internally .. and that cuts up the seals ... and then they leak.

You can get various tools to help that use the spare tyre to pressurise the system, etc. I've always relied on the old basic bleed hose with a slit that acts as a simple one-way valve. You could also replace the bleed screws with speed-bleeds, etc.

What you do want to do is to keep it very clear of the paintwork!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

3xpendable

#109 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:10 pm

gazza82 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:56 pm
If the brake fluid has been in there for a while it should really be flushed through and changed to new. It attracts moisture and over time the cylinders may start to rust internally .. and that cuts up the seals ... and then they leak.
No concern there, the entire brake system save for the hard lines were replaced or rebuilt last summer to ship it. I bit the bullet and started prepping to remove the axle this weekend. All the bolts came off easily. The only ones that protested were the spring u bolts that required a bit of PB blaster, wire brush and working back and forth a bit to persuade off. As soon as I get a brake line plug from a local store, I can disconnect the brake line and roll the axle out.

My friend has a pressure bleeder kit that fits on the master cylinder cap. He has one for his modern Fords so I discounted it. However he said "Have you tried the brake cylinder cap from your wifes modern Ford on there?

So I did:

Voila! It fits. So we can use his pressure bleeder to bleed the rear brakes once I get the axle back in.

After all that was done I tackled the light rust on the chassis rail and wheelarch with a wire brush and some rust converter:

Hoping to tackle the other side in the next few nights then I have to find some paint. I think a 1965 Ford Mustang 'Skylight Blue' will be close enough for under the arches so will have to order some most likely.
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

3xpendable

#110 Post by 3xpendable » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:25 pm

Got the chassis rail and wheelarches painted. I could just paint the whole thing but I dont want to lose the patina. I will try and buff/blend it in to the current paint but will most likely eventually wax/oil spray it like it was before so it should blend in nicely then.

I will be taking the axle out tonight and getting it cleaned painted soon!
2013 Dodge Durango R/T