Bnicho's 87 Mini Mayfair - Was DVLA UK Rego Details

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
bnicho

Bnicho's 87 Mini Mayfair - Was DVLA UK Rego Details

#1 Post by bnicho » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:14 am

Hi,

I know this has been posted before, but I can't find it. :(

Can someone please post up the link where you can put in a registration number and it shows the details of the vehicle (make, model, tax status etc).

Thanks,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Willy Eckerslyke

Re: DVLA UK Registration Details search

#2 Post by Willy Eckerslyke » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:13 am

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/
Click on Vehicle Enquiry. But you have to know the make - and promise that the vehicle belongs to you as it's naughty to go looking up details of other people's cars.

bnicho

#3 Post by bnicho » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Now that it's home I can reveal the eBay link. I didn't want any lurking locals cutting my lunch. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... AQ:AU:1123

The bad news it that it's very rusty. Both screen surrounds, rear side pockets, boot floor, roof gutters. It's had new front panels in the past and one sill. The other sill has been cut out and a fabricated inner sill fitted. There is no outer sill or door step on that side whatsoever. The roof and floor is all that is holding it together. There is also rust right through the passenger rear quarter. Arches roughly hacked and sportspack flares fitted. Yes, it could be fixed but it would be a lot of work.

Inside it's a but ratty, standard Mayfair grey velour seats that are a bit knocked about. Usual three clock dash and Rover heater.

On the mechanical side all is good.
- What appears to be an MG Metro engine! HIF44, water heated manifold, alloy rocker cover and the block is red. Engine number plate is missing. :(
- K&N cone filter.
- A+ electronic ignition.
- Dual circuit master, no booster.
- LCB and a DTM exhaust system with twin rear pipes. This puppy is loud!
- Loads of new bushes and bearings, new discs, reco calipers.
- Spax shocks and maybe some hi-lo's
- Minifin drums on the back.
- 13" minilite style alloys with new Pirelli tyres. One tyre flat, 12" Superlite spare fitted.

Of course I took it for a clandestine fang around the block!

It's got a bit of hesitation but it goes hard once you get past that. Gearbox appears to be good, no crunches. Stops really well.

Water is leaking from somewhere, I suspect a bad water pump seal.

The guy was just fed up and wanted it gone. Asked if he could keep one numberplate as a memento.

Where to from here? I dunno yet. I will assess it on the weekend in daylight. But it seems like an ideal candidate for reshelling.

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 pm

[quote="bnicho ....it seems like an ideal candidate for reshelling.
quote]

Definately! Don't just break it and use the bits, it would be great to see another proper Mini emerge from all this, and a re-shell would be good fun I reckon, and done properly would provide you with a Mini that could last for decades.

Go for it!

Any pics?

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

bnicho

#5 Post by bnicho » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:47 pm

I took a couple of pics when I got home, but they are lousy because it was so dark. I'll take some better ones tomorrow.

Reshelling is a tricky business here. In Australia, the identity is the shell. Basically I'd have to find another Mini of similar year with import paperwork or Australian registration history (not easy) and transfer everything over. It would then be the "other" Mini's identity.

We can't buy new shells here, they are illegal. Can't even import them legally. Even the local manufacurer's are prohibited from supplying new shells for current models.

If reshelling isn't an option, then I will part it out and keep the engine, box, suspension and brake goodies.
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by admin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:05 pm

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Tim

#7 Post by Tim » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:04 am

Are you home yet Brett?

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1977 Leyland Moke Californian
1969 Triumph TR6R

bnicho

#8 Post by bnicho » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 am

Hi Tim and Welcome!

I took some snaps this morning and I have them on my computer. Damn Photobucket fails every time I try to upload them. I think it's BP's crap network causing problems.

Cheers,
Brett.
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Tim

#9 Post by Tim » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:20 am

It does sound pretty rusty, maybe use it as a donor for an older Aussie Mini. It would be a good way to upgrade a '70s Clubman.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1977 Leyland Moke Californian
1969 Triumph TR6R

bnicho

#10 Post by bnicho » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 am

I found the URL for the car's advert in the paperwork file:

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... arno/93340

Advert reads:

* 1987 (E reg)
* 92,000 miles
* Manual
* 1.3L
* Petrol

92,000 miles, Beautifully built & restored high performance Classic Mini.

Base model is 1987 Mini Mayfair however most parts were replaced with much better standard. The built/restoration was aimed at making it an excellent drive in a pretty Cooper-ish body (however no monstrous over-tuning, just keeping it high performance and classy looking).

Fully refurbished 1275 metro engine, sports pack carb. DTM stainless steel exhaust, SPAX gas adjustable shock absorbers all round, mint 13 inch custom powder coated mini lite alloys, performance Pirelli Drago / Yokohama tyres with plenty of tread, full re spray last year (all prep. + body work to highest standard inc. new rear valance, sills, door, front pannel, left wing, sports pack wheel arches), blue tinted windows, halogen head lights, new upholstery and carpets, refurb. rear radius arms, new fuel pump,new brake master cylinder, new stainless still bumpers, sports leather coated steering wheel, all sorts of classic cooper-ish features fitted: mirrors, badges, new head light trims,new handles, new door pads, etc. immaculate white roof and 2x stripes on the bonnet (painted, not stickers).

Selling due to all popular reason for parting with a beloved Mini: now 18 months old (I was resisting) bundle of joy that keeps saying daddy from time to time.

MOT till Apr 2011.

Interesting that it needed at least one sill and a whole bunch of suspension bits not long after they were supposedly replaced. I can see why the buyer I bouht it from was unhappy. From that advert I would have expected a very nice car too.

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder