Something a little different 'bloggy' & not quite classic!

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Paul240480

Re: Something a little different 'bloggy' & not quite classic!

#11 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:51 pm

rich. wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:37 pm
some tyres?? :lol:
:lol: yep indeedy, two either side rear :scared:

Paul240480

#12 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:44 am

Morning all. I sort of thought the twin rear wheels would narrow it down some, but not to worry.
It is a Laika Ecovip 400i on an Iveco 2.8 Turbo Daily.
Pretty sure the lump is Fiat with Iveco add-ons.
The box is 6-speed and typically Fiat-notchy!
Laika (named after the first dog in space - sent up from Russia I think) are an Italien coach builders. They still have quite a bit of old stock parts available for these beasts. Tho I think they have been taken over by Hymer now.
This a 2002 model, btw.
I'll pop some internal pics up later & then follow on with the 'saga' of getting this thing 'up to speed' :thumbs:

rich.

#13 Post by rich. » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:30 am

i used to run an iveco 3810 daily tipper, it was a real shed but started every time & did everything i needed.. i ran it for 4 years on english plates & only sold it when i was told off by the mot/ct guy. i patched the bed with tape once to stop the sand falling out :oops: :lol:

Paul240480

#14 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:50 pm

^^ :lol: thanks.
Some interior pics, as you'll see it is a little 'dated' when compared to newer vans....

Spec is quite high given its age.
5-berth
Fridge & Freezer
Oven and three burners.
17ltr hot water cylinder.
Blown air heating
Solar Panel
Gas generator
Shower
Marine Toilet. This is a new me thing & has given some 'interest'!

GHT

#15 Post by GHT » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:29 pm

rich. wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:30 am
i used to run an iveco 3810 daily tipper, it was a real shed but started every time & did everything i needed.. i ran it for 4 years on english plates & only sold it when i was told off by the mot/ct guy. i patched the bed with tape once to stop the sand falling out :oops: :lol:
Back in the year 2000, I was fortunate to gain a contract delivering pharmaceuticals to the Lloyds Chemist Group. The previous carrier had gone tits up. The receiver offered me a pair of Iveco vans, all in the correct livery, and the asking price was absolute peanuts.
Those two vans were probably why the previous carrier went bust. They were absolutely appalling, they broke down so regularly that it was about the only thing consistent with them. One of them needed a new engine after just 70K miles. My brother, who was my business partner, said we had to get rid of them. He put them up on E-Bay, cleverly wording the advert to read as one van for sale the other for spares. It got them sold, even the buyer joked that if you run Ivecos, you need two because one will always be in the workshop.

Paul240480

#16 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:36 pm

^^^^EEK! :shock: ^

Mind you it has been sort of on fire a little bit :lol: .........

rich.

#17 Post by rich. » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Paul240480 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:36 pm
^^^^EEK! :shock: ^

Mind you it has been sort of on fire a little bit :lol: .........
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i did nearly over heat mine once, tried tipping some soil from a pond (mud) out & while it took me so long to get it off the truck was getting rather hot.. she did use coolant after that. :oops:

Paul240480

#18 Post by Paul240480 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:57 pm

First outing then.... Decided to go 'wild camping' on a beach just north of les sables d'olonne . I guess about 2hrs south of here.
Trundled down to St Nazaire then picked up the dual carriageway.
Next to this massive beach is a small camp site for caravans & motorhomes, that we name 'Coldizt' :D . It had about 25 pitches all in concrete with a 15 foot concrete wall all round it! All automated, we paid 2 euros to enter and top up water. We found one couple using the site, who proudly exclaimed that they love it & come every year! We thought it awful, but each to their own.
So once topped up we drove up the track onto the parking area in the dunes. Free wild camping except for in July & August when it is banned.
All went well for the stay,come the Monday we began the trip home, planning to stop in the national nature reserve, La Grande Briere for lunch.
This we did, then set off for the final run home...... Literally 5 mins later, Elaine said, "I can smell burning". Me checking the dash..... "No temps fine" :roll: Then, "Paul stop the van its on fire".
Sure enough there was smoke coming in through the heater vent.....; :shock:
So engine off and everyone out...... Phone call to break down. It didn't go fully on fire, thank goodness. But it certainly made a certain part of me wink a tad! :lol:
So the end result of this first outing was being taken to the Iveco garage in St Nazaire & daughter coming down to collect us - luckily it was her day off!
Not the most successful of trips to say the least :lol:

GHT

#19 Post by GHT » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Paul240480 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:57 pm
This we did, then set off for the final run home...... Literally 5 mins later, Elaine said, "I can smell burning". Me checking the dash..... "No temps fine" :roll: Then, "Paul stop the van its on fire".
Sure enough there was smoke coming in through the heater vent.....; :shock:
So engine off and everyone out...... Phone call to break down. It didn't go fully on fire, thank goodness. But it certainly made a certain part of me wink a tad! :lol:
So the end result of this first outing was being taken to the Iveco garage in St Nazaire & daughter coming down to collect us - luckily it was her day off! Not the most successful of trips to say the least :lol:
Here's a suggestion. Buy yourself and A4 ring binder file. Get about a 100 plastic inserts. (You'll probably need 200) Write about your trips out in your Iveco camper. Chances are that if you are determined enough to persevere with the Iveco, you will have written enough about your catastrophes and mishaps, and the fortune that you have shelled out, to be able to write a book in such a comical way, that it will sell so well that you will recover your costs.
Either that or Iveco will offer you a bribe to keep quiet. Whichever way, you will have a result.

Paul240480

#20 Post by Paul240480 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:22 am

3rd reply by you GHT, I can only assume you're secretly enjoying it :lol: Go on admit it......you know you are really :lol: .

Turns out the garage found that it looked like mice had nibbled a few wires causing a short. No doubt whilst the Jalopy was stuck in that old barn.
So 10 or so days later with a new blower motor , wiring from it to the fuse board and a new fuse board it was off again.
Oh, the electric step was 'dead' on purchase. Something I'd not got around to looking at. I mentioned it to the garage and they said they'll have a look. Turned out just a wire had come astray, so that was sorted too.

Next planned trip was across to the UK via the tunnel. Then on up to Derbyshire to see family, and onwards to Cumbria (Silloth) to see more of the family..........