Something a little different 'bloggy' & not quite classic!

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: Something a little different 'bloggy' & not quite classic!

#21 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:20 am

The way I read this, the van has suffered from the sort of issue that could easily have affected any vehicle that had spent time out of action but that isn't related to any inherent unreliability in the type generally. Good luck with the planned trip through the tunnel, I have a feeling that your van may yet disappoint GHT with a spell of reliable service. Continuing in a positive vein; even if it does fail to proceed, at least you have a comfy place to sit while waiting for the recovery truck to turn out.
:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#22 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:34 pm

i bought a renault..

Stand by for tales of woe. (thanks ght)

bit of bad luck mate, i hope its an easy fix :D
although the last time i was driving something that caught fire it was my bosses lorry.. i had my new girlfriend along for the ride & she said " whats that" pointing at the smoke pouring out of the dash i parked up on the bridge in hereford poured the bottle of water into the dash & got her my dog (betsy) & me out waited 5 minutes & hopped back in & off we went.. dropped girfriend home& i never the her again :?

GHT

#23 Post by GHT » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:59 pm

rich. wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:34 pm
i bought a renault..
Stand by for tales of woe. (thanks ght) bit of bad luck mate, i hope its an easy fix :D although the last time i was driving something that caught fire it was my bosses lorry..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kJ1Z-h4N8

rich.

#24 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rich.

#25 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul240480

#26 Post by Paul240480 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , love it. .

rich.

#27 Post by rich. » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:43 am

i should add, when i got back to the yard the boss almost sort of thanked me for saving his favorite lorry the mechanic cussed me from here till sunday. "next time let the bloody heap burn". he spent about £2000 repairing the damage & then 3 months later the engine blew up & they scrapped the thing & then i was moaned at again.. no pleasing some folks :(

Paul240480

#28 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:56 pm

yeh you can't win sometimes rich :lol:

In 'prep'for the 1st long trip, we did a couple of weekenders away around Brittany, also helped in gaining a little confidence after that 'near fire'. It's never nice driving in something you don't quite feel comfy with :roll:

These trips bought up a few 'issues'. The shower tap blew off! on re-fitting it , it was leaking. Nipped into a dealers near Vannes & they took it round the back (no not for destruction :lol: ). After a while the chap said, "Well I've done the best I can" :shock: . It was still leaking but worse :roll: . He said it is the cartridge that's knackered and he put one in that was the best 'match'. Clearly well out of any form of a 'match'. He said the ones I need are no longer available, so from now on you'll have to turn the pump off after each usage :lol: . Don't you just love 'em..... The salesman overheard and suggested we should change the van for a better model :lol: Yeh, like we can afford that. Can't blame him for trying I guess...

Once home I contacted Southdown Motorhomes in Portmouth. a Laika (amongst other makes) mainstealer. A short while later, Julie there emailed me pictures of cartridges for all three taps. Saying she had direct contact with Laika in Italy & she could get them sent out to me. I took all three so I would have them ready if the kitchen or bathroom sink taps failed. Upon arrival, it took a little over 5 mins to fit & no leaks, perfect. I did contact the dealer who fitted the incorrect cartridge informing them that the cartridges are indeed available, they offered me a 'good deal' on a service. I told them I had no confidence in them and declined....

Another issue was the loo's evacuation flap. That was 'letting by' nasty niffs. Suspected a dodgy seal on the evacuation flap. This has a marine loo' with a 40ltr 'holding tank, not the more standard 17ltr cassette type. More like on a US style RV I guess? Another part unavailable to the French dealers. But a further call to Southdowns secured the part. Planned to collect whilst over in UK.

During one outing, chugging up an incline just north of Redon, the turbo pipe 'blew off'. The huge jubillee clip holding it on had failed. Had to call out brakedown. The chap did a sterling 'get me home' fix using three zip-ties. Get us home it did. Once there I got a new clip & a spare! Fitted one and thats solved that issue.

Finally, I decided a service would be a good idea, before the 'off'. We had new cambelt kit done prior to purchase at a Renault garage paid for by the seller. He himself did an oil and filter change. It was only 2 or so months 'in' but thought an 'early' oil change wouldn't harm with it having been 'sat'
I took it back to the Iveco garage for this & also asked them to drain & refill the gearbox too.
There it is being done.

GHT

#29 Post by GHT » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Glad that you've fixed the nasty niffs from the on board toilet. Have you heard of Sani-flush? It's a disinfectant/deodorising fluid, that keeps a loo smelling clean. You should establish an on board rule for all males. Pee sitting down, seriously, a gush of urine always emits a spray, a seated performance prevents residual spray going anywhere but down the loo.
It's prudent to check the tyres if the camper has been standing idle for a long time. The rubber corrupts when not in use. Shine a light right into the tread depth, if there's rubber corruption it will show up as small splits at the bottom of the tread.
Not joking about Ivecos, but they are notoriously unreliable, but you have, what you have. If you know of anyone who runs one, like a self employed delivery driver, try and find out what the best parts kit would be to carry, that would include tools too. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. Because you do realise that IVECO is an acronym:
It Vibrates Everything Comes Off. On second thoughts and as it's a camper: Itinerant Vanner Enjoys Camping Occupation. Not only are they unreliable but spare parts are as expensive as owning a Bentley and it's only really a heartbeat from replacement: Incontinent Vultures Ever Circling Overhead. However, I get the feeling that you are going to stick with it, come hell or high water, so how about: Insane Van Even Crazier Owner. My missus pointed out that they are built in Spain which is famous for it's inquisition: Iberian Vatican Enforces Catholic Orders. Catholic convert?

Paul240480

#30 Post by Paul240480 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:27 am

^^^^^ :lol: :lol: thanks :thumbs: :thumbs: .
Yep The Jalopy is here to stay, until such time I can afford something better! That would involve a lottery win! :lol: That said the layout in this is perfect for us. The majority of newer vans have a fixed rear bed. This means the lounge area is a cramped upright IMO uncomfortable place to make space for that bed :roll:

Anyways, I decided on one final 'prevention' bit of work before the 'off'. I'd read that one 'killer' on these Itinerant Vanner..... :lol:
Is the rear diff' seizing up. Had no idea when or if the oil had been drained. So I got some oil from the mainstealer....

I'll tell you what, that oil is blummin' thick! Had arms like Popeye after pumping it up into the diff' with my little pump jobby :lol:

So, the planned route:
Southern Brittany to Calais for the tunnel.
Folkstone to Forest Row.
Forest Row to Pompey to collect the loo part, then head north to Derby.
Derby to Silloth.
Silloth to Derby.
Derby to Launceston
Launceston to Folkstone.
Calais to home.
There were, as you can guess plenty of stop-overs + family visits en-route to these destinations. :thumbs: