Volvo 265GLE

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: Volvo 265GLE

#11 Post by JPB » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:45 pm

EOO wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:34 pm
So where do you think the best place to sell a classic car, any advice where to sell or what it may be worth, and should I sell its number plate separate.
Zelandeth wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:24 pm
Realistically, the enthusiast forums for the marque would be my first port of call I guess for getting realistic valuation, and probably the place you'll be likely get a low hassle sale. Probably carandclassic would be the next spot I'd try. At least last time I was looking at selling stuff it seemed to be the more serious buyers on there rather than the time wasters elsewhere...no idea if that's still true.

The places I'd avoid based on the total and utter pain selling anything there has been anywhere vaguely recently would be Gumtree or eBay. Even trying to give stuff away on Gumtree for free was a royal pain...
Zelandeth's comments make lots of sense. Regarding the plate, if it wasn't a select issue from new, then reuniting the car with its original issue would be better, IMHO, since the current plate would be unlikely to be of any interest other than to a registration dealer, in which case the car would end up on an age-related plate that wouldn't be as appropriate (again IMHO) as the original.
Car & Classic is probably the best venue online for selling old motors these days, but be aware that it's better to post a real phone number (buy a burner SIM and pop it into a spare handset) than to use the site's "privacy" service, calls to whose 07 numbers cost £14 (per call! :shock: ) to the potential buyer and many folk will ignore listings containing these numbers.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Zelandeth

#12 Post by Zelandeth » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:12 pm

I'd probably look into whether the plate has any real value. If so, you're free to do what you wish with it. Otherwise just sell it as it is. I don't think as it stands it really adds any value to the car though as it is though. If it was something like 265GLT (or XAN71A as I have on my Xantia) it would be another matter.

If I bought this I would probably just revert it to the original reg (or an appropriate age related plate) as the one on there means nothing to me.

I really, really wish I had the space and funds available for this. I've wanted an old Volvo for years and the more I look at this the more gorgeous a motor I realise it is. Were there any options not ticked when that car was ordered?

If my numbers come up at the weekend I'll definitely be making you a generous offer!

Can I be really cheeky and ask if you could snap a few photos of the centre console and dash? Last time I was in a Volvo of this era (T plate 244GL) was in 1995, and they are some very fond memories...never have managed to find good photos though, which as someone who has found vehicle Interior design a great long running interest bugs me.
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Paul240480

#13 Post by Paul240480 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:31 pm

I missed this post :oops:

Stick it on this forum; https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/
It's a lovely beast and I'm sure (if not already sold) that it'll generate a bit of a stir on there :thumbs: