T5 - Another 'not yet a classic' Bloggy.

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Paul240480

T5 - Another 'not yet a classic' Bloggy.

#1 Post by Paul240480 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Hey up. You will have seen from my Tank & Zeb 'Bloggys' that those 2 have gone to pastures a new. Both have been replaced.... This Bloggy covers one of them. You know I'm a Volvonut, so this one will come as no surprise :D .
I was just surfing on carsandclassics ...... as you do, when I fell across this one. I went in totally blind :o me being in South Brittany & the car being 'up norf' in Durham. I sort of made an offer and the chap agreed :o
So next thought was "Oh Feck' how do I get it and whats OH gonna say" :lol:
A call to my Bro' in Derby, " No sweat send me the dosh and I'll jump on a train and get it for yah" . Fab, Mum went to 'for a nice ride out' :lol:
Dave (and Mum) got it for me. After getting it back to Derby and safely snuggled up in Mums garage, Dave messaged me to say......
"Bad news dood, I'm keeping it mesen', go's like stink & I love it". That from a not so Volvo fan.
I was excited 8-) OH went :roll: ...... :lol:

Luxobarge

Re: T5 - Another 'not yet a classic' Bloggy.

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Firstly, good to see you on here again Paul, and secondly - Yay! Another Volvo. However, details of the car? What T5 did you get, what year etc.?

And of course - piccies as soon as you can!

Still got my '97 phase 1 V70 T5, going great, just trundles on, did an 850 mile round trip for a walking holiday "up norf" recently, no hassles no problems and oodles of space in the back for muddy boots, rucksacks, coats etc. - perfect!

Cheers mate :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Paul240480

#3 Post by Paul240480 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi LB, yes been awol for too long....... Thanks for the reply & pleased to hear your T5 is still flying. :thumbs:

A little bit of history on this beastie, which is a 99' T5 SE Auto.

First reg Dec 1999.
Services:

Delivery
6823 miles HR Owen London 08/05/01
10904 miles D Melling - Wescot Garage 25/01/03
35860 miles D K Autos Blackpool 18/07/04
41764 Drayton Motors Clatterbridge Wirral 15/03/05
51746 Drayton Motors Clatterbridge Wirral 15/03/06
75512 Heanor Motor Company 16/03/08
84055 Claytons Mansfield 21/06:09
122309 Fred Henderson (Bosch Service Centre) Durham 10/03/17 - this included Brake discs and pads all round, drop links,fuel filter, alt belt, timing belt kit, oil and filter & for some reason the N/S/F suspension arm. 1150 quids worth too. - It was this service that made my mind up that this one was for me!

Oh, I'm the 10th owner! :roll:

So not full, but quite comprehensive.

It came with the (dreaded) random no start issue, and according to service history its been on and off for some years. One garage replace the starter, another replaced the Air Mass Meter. Sometimes it span fired then died, other times there was simply 'nothing' when you turned the key, no response at all. Other times it fired up 'on the button'. This wasn't someting the the P/O informed me of. It is now sorted & I'll go into that more later.
Time for a few pics. These ones taken by the P/O on his driveway 'up norf'.

More to follow.

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:07 pm

Lovely! Same colour inside and out and same wheels as mine, just 2 years newer - which means you have the ME7 fly-by-wire throttle engine, whereas mine is one of the last of the cable throttle versions. Also I don't have roof bars - I might fit some though if they come along at a decent price. Oh, and mine's a CD version, so comes with all the toys.... :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Paul240480

#5 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Yes tis' indeed fly by wire. Nor sure if that's a good thing or not. I do know that replacing the throttle cables is a doddle, did my old 850's. Bet if 'FBW' plays up its a tad more complicated :roll: .

So had to get the car back to France. We'd planned a trip taking in Devon, Cumbria & Derby. For various reasons. However time in Cumbria got extended whilst trying to sort some residential care for one of the 'crinklies'. My Mum wanted her garage back..... So I ended up jumping on a train at Carlisle and zipping down to Derby to collect and have a few jars with me bro'. 8-)
The next afternoon I went to see the car for the first time. It looked okay, but clearly needed a bit of TLC. Dave had put one of those solar powered battery conditioners on, as it was sat at Mums for about 2 months.
It fired up immediately & first thing to notice was the exhaust blowing :roll:
Anyways an hour or so of going around it, saw me heading back up to Cumbria to rejoin OH and her Mum. That trip up the M6 floated by & I found the T5 was extremely smooth and that it really was a nice place to be.
It sat for a few days, before we needed to head south - back towards Derby again! But when OH went to fire it up.....it didn't :roll: Nothing, zilch, like turning a key on a car with no battery connected. I looked at the service history & read that the car had an intermittent starting fault, which had been there for some years.....deep joy :evil:
After a cuppa I tried it again & it leapt into life as if nothing was a miss.
So of we went in convoy. The M6 was a disaster as per, so 'Satnag' re-directed us over the Peaks into Derbyshire. A very picturesque route it was too. When we arrived OH reported that the T5 ran as sweet as a nut. She just hoped it would start next time.
We planned to be in the area for a few days, so next morning I whizzed into Volsaa in Derby to see if they could read any codes relating to the no start. They were great & took it in straight away after I explained the issue & that I needed to get it back to South Brittany.
They didn't have time to do any work on it. But suspected the antenna ring to be at fault and or the trigger wire on the starter.
Their reader threw up a number of codes, most of which was gobble-de-gook to me, :lol:
I went to my Mums for lunch & afterwards it again refused to start. This time it fired then immediately died. I gave the trigger a poke & off it went again......

Paul240480

#6 Post by Paul240480 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:10 pm

A few days in Derbys catching up, then heading south towards the tunnel. Stop over in Kent following Sainsburys Ashford for Old Speckled Hen & Seriously Strong! :thumbs:

T5 Started after the shops, but in stop over, refused to start once again after being left for 15 mins or so :roll: Next morning 1st time start for the short trip to the tunnel terminal. Blummin :evil: or what.....

We got to the terminal, then as you will know its a lot of stop/start getting onto the train. We made it & once onboard I informed the staff of the 'issue' with T5.... they got a breakdown team 'on standby' at Calais incase of...... Fab service. Arrived and..........T5 leapt into life no worries.... so off we went to Normandy for another over night stop over....
Time for another pic 8-)

Luxobarge

#7 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Paul - regarding your "no start" problem:

Favourite on these is the antenna ring, around the ignition barrel, it picks up the signal from the chip in the key, and if it doesn't find one then the symptom is that the engine will crank fine, it will usually fire for 1-2 seconds and then die. If this lines up with your symptoms then in this order:

1) Clean the antenna ring contacts - do it thoroughly, as they can be tricky. This is a very common problem on these cars.
2) Try a different key, it may be a dodgy chip. If you don't have a second key, GET ONE ASAP as if you lose it, trying to get a replacement key without one to copy is a real PITA.
3) replace the antenna ring - not too expensive and not difficult.

However, you say in an earlier post that it's like trying to start a car with no battery - this must mean that it isn't cranking, which means that it is NOT the fault described above. However, another common fault on these is that the electrical part of the ignition switch goes faulty, and this can often be intermittent. It is again quite easy to replace, it's separate from the ignition barrel, so no problems with key compatibility etc.
Third thing to think about is the PNP switch on the gearbox. As you know, it will only start in N or P, and the thing that tells it which position the lever is in is the PNP switch - again, it's a fairly common fault on these for this switch to go faulty, especially on cars that have been left to stand for a while. The thing to try is that when it's in a "no start" condition, cycle the gearlever back and forth quite a few times - this can have the effect of cleaning up the contacts, and if it starts afterwards that's your culprit. Again, I believe it's not too hard to change, although I've never had to go near mine (yet).

When it's in a "no start" condition, do you get all the dash lights on before trying to start? If you do, then PNP switch is more likely but if you don't (i.e. it's playing completely dead) then ignition switch becomes hot favourite IMHO.

There are loads of other things it could be, but these are the 3 common faults I know about from having spent years on the VOC V70 forum (where I know you are also a member) so just thought I'd let you know - or remind you if you already knew this.

At least these are fairly simple and cheap things to check out, so hope this helps - let us know how you get on eh?

Cheers! :D

Paul240480

#8 Post by Paul240480 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Luxo', you are so on the ball! :thumbs:
However there is a small 'twist' on this that I found.... touching wood T5 fires spot on now every time. The history shows it being an issue for years........
All shall be revealed, hehe :mrgreen:

PS: Roadster? in your profile pic.... is there a thread I missed?

Luxobarge

#9 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Paul240480 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:50 pm
PS: Roadster? in your profile pic.... is there a thread I missed?
Hi Paul - Yeah, the Midget is part of the fleet, I've had it since the mid 90s, restored about 16 years ago and still looks a picture and runs perfectly - I put the kind of blood sweat and tears into that resto that makes me want to never part with it, and I probably won't. Others in the fleet include a 2001 Jag XK8, 1965 Morris Minor, the Ovlov V70 T5 of course, and a 1954 Reliant regal 3-wheeler converted into a garden buggy that I did a couple of years ago. Oh, and I recently acquired a 1973 Ford 3000 tractor, which is currently undergoing a full resto - I'm full of tractor-love at the moment, fantastic thing. If only the greedy so'n'sos at Photobucket hadn't screwed things up I'd show you photos, but mine are all too big to attach directly here. I'll work something out.

Cheers!

GHT

#10 Post by GHT » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:52 am

There's a letter in this week's Classic Car Weekly from a reader, bleating on about the snobbery of some car owners that don't recognise a twenty year old, modern classic. Sorry, but at twenty years old it's a banger.
But if you want to display your twenty year old car, fine by me, I won't be there to see it. Just don't expect to see my missus' 1998 Golf either. In fact I wouldn't even consider it anywhere near a classic if it had a VR6 badge. It's in pristine condition because it lives in a heated garage alongside the MG, but it's still a banger.
The last show I went to, years ago now, there were three Land Rovers parked next to me. One from the late 1940's magnificently restored, the second was also restored to it's former glory as a breakdown truck for Royal Mail. The third was an embarrassment. It was thirty years old, looked like it had lived on a farm all it's life and had never had a wash. That was the first time that I learned about patina. Bullshit!