I doubt this is a classic ... yet ..

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
gazza82

I doubt this is a classic ... yet ..

#1 Post by gazza82 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 am

but maybe one day.

Our Pug 206 1.4 hdi developed a coolant leak a while back and with everything else going on I just parked it up, sorn'd it and left it to gather dust .. but with the end of the world cup and nothing to do in the evenings I decided it was time to have a look. I was fearing the worst as the coolant was a disgusting colour and it drained the header tank really quickly when I refilled it .. the kitchen bowl is now the garage bowl too as that is unlikely to clean up!

The water was obviously coming from the head area behind the exhaust manifold and over towards the right .. so check the thermostat and hoses and they are all ok .. looking more like the HG ..

The area I wanted to get too is behind the manifold, a small turbo, and large catalytic converted and downpipe and lots of headshield ... so slowly it came off (still working on manifold and turbo! Two inaccessible nuts left and possibly the need to loosen the power steering pump to get the manifold off!!! Why? :roll: )

Once I could get a better look a carefully placed mobile and a usb endoscope on my laptop may have found the issue .. and it could be good news ..

Up behind the manifold and in the cylinder head are two 20mm welch plugs and one was wet. When I dried it off it soon became wet again .. that leak was running down and along the edge of the head gasket and making it look like there was a long leak ... a bit like the one I saw on my old Alfa 156!
20180717_202341.jpg
20180717_202341.jpg (94.35 KiB) Viewed 22927 times
This is the offending article .. and a couple of quid from Peugeot by the look of things (ServiceBox) .. although add in 10 new manifold nuts, a manifold gasket, and a couple of new exhaust clamps and the bill soon gets to £30!). Why the new nuts .. most were a bit chewed up before I got to it and this was a replacement engine fitted a couple of months after the original owner bought it new in 2002 .. why? Head gasket went!! :shock:
Welch-plug-leak_Jul2018.jpg
Welch-plug-leak_Jul2018.jpg (15.71 KiB) Viewed 22927 times
If it is that welch plug then I'm a very happy bunny as the time to change a head gasket on this PSA/Ford collaboration is 9 1/2 hours! And that's for a garage .. that for me was probably 9 1/2 weeks working in the evenings .. however if you see black smoke drifting over South Bucks in the next few days it won't be another field on fire .. :evil:
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

JPB

Re: I doubt this is a classic ... yet ..

#2 Post by JPB » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Modern cars eh, great when they're working, harder to fix with gaffer tape and epoxy resin when they're not!
Is that a crack under the manifold stud in the image or a change in level around the area where the stud hole is?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:46 am

have you fixed it mate?

gazza82

#4 Post by gazza82 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:27 am

JPB wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:44 pm
Modern cars eh, great when they're working, harder to fix with gaffer tape and epoxy resin when they're not!
Is that a crack under the manifold stud in the image or a change in level around the area where the stud hole is?
Not a crack .. a casting/machining mark. Flat area for bolt spacer to sit.
have you fixed it mate?
Not yet .. the clever people at peugeot make it almost impossible to get the manifold off with the steering/alternator support bracket on the engine. So (a) remove loosen that bracket (which involves steering pipes and aux belts) or (b) try and remove the studs from the head to allow the manifold to move sideways .. I now what I'm considering.

Cost of the plug ... 61p plus VAT!!
Last edited by gazza82 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

gazza82

#5 Post by gazza82 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 am

Sorry, forget there's an option c .. grind way the alloy mounting bracket to make space! :shock: