Zel's Fleet Blog...Rover, Renault, Peugeot, Trabant, Invacar & Sinclair C5

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Zelandeth

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog...Lada, Citroen, Mercedes, Sinclair & AC Model 70

#211 Post by Zelandeth » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:40 pm

One of the things I always tended to do my best to avoid when helping out with preserved buses was the fiddly bits of bodywork...oily bits I'm good with, but the bodywork is something which I always find it takes a massive amount of time for little visible gain.

However with it being my own vehicle that's less of an option as I can't delegate it to the new guy!

So it is a day of "annoying fiddly bits."

First up, the last two bits of infill that were missing.

Offside...

That whole lower panel skin is in pretty poor state with quite a few tiny holes in, so I may need to think about changing it at some point. For now I've just touched them in with seam sealer to keep the elements out.

Nearside...

That was the nice easy bit done. Just wanted those done first as it meant that I could get rid of another bag from the box of bits of van as all the trim is now actually attached to it again.

Next up was replacing the missing upright infill from the nearside rear corner. As this runs all the way to the front of the van, I'm not doing it all right now. Just the last couple of feet. However before I could do that I first needed to dig the silicone sealant out of the channel. This must have taken me the best part of an hour. Turns out that it sticks really quite well to tarnished old aluminium.

Eventually though I managed to clear enough of it out of the channel that it was possible to get the strip in.

The strip directly above the passenger door on the cab I noticed a couple of days ago had come away from the cab and was just barely hanging on by a couple of threads on two screws. Was a quick matter to pull that off, clean it up, stick a new mastic strip to the back of it and slap it back in place. I used slightly larger screws to help take up the slack and then put a new infill in there.

Getting the infill in was a bit of a chore purely because it was done teetering on the door step. Funny how jobs like this make you appreciate how much bigger the thing is than a car.

This had been on my radar since the day I bought the van.

In fact I bought a new hookup unit about a week into owning it... replacement of this definitely needed to happen, as aside from just looking awful it also insistently would flap around going click-click-click-click-click-click anywhere north of 40mph.

Ten minutes later...

Much better. It actually latches closed as well so hopefully won't drive me demented next time I'm on the open road.

This was the point at which I spotted two (blindingly obvious afterwards!) bits of infill I had missed. These were on the surround of the gas locker and luggage compartment doors.

You can see how it just fits into a groove around the edge here.

Now this was a task which I went into thinking it would be a ten minute thing to finish the day off with. Yeeeeaahh...About an hour later I had both doors done.

One of those jobs that is just incredibly fiddly and time consuming. Does help make the van tidier though as a whole bunch less screws heads are on show how.

Getting there bit by bit.

Really do need to get some decent wheel trims though and bin the bargain bin specials currently on there as it drags the whole thing down.
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Zelandeth

#212 Post by Zelandeth » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:15 pm

All right. Having ignored the Invacar for the last couple of weeks while I distracted myself playing with the van, it's time I got back on track.

Off with the carb!

...Which is actually quite a faff due to access, requiring both a very skinny spanner and partial removal of the Dynastart

While a bit fiddly not a difficult job by any measure and we soon had the tiny carb off. A Weber 32ICS10 for those of you paying attention.

Yep... that's a bit manky. What was in the float bowl was even worse, there's a distinct layer of sludge at the bottom and what poured out had the colour and consistency of a cup of black coffee that's been forgotten about at the back of the garage for a week. It was also discovered quite quickly that the accelerator jet was barely finger tight.

I really need a bigger ultrasonic cleaner.

I'll finish giving it a scrub up tomorrow and get it back on the car and see if it's helped anything.

To be honest given the amount of crud in it I'm astonished the car was running at all.
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

gazza82

#213 Post by gazza82 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:02 pm

I really need a bigger ultrasonic cleaner.

For a minute there I though you were christening the mobile home's loo!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Zelandeth

#214 Post by Zelandeth » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 pm

gazza82 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:02 pm
For a minute there I though you were christening the mobile home's loo!
Don't be silly, it's nowhere near beige enough to be from the van!

Not much to report today as I've been busily trying to clear our huge mountain of garden waste.

The Xantia and my ancient trailer are helping there.

For all the trailer looks rather scruffy it tows really well, yet is light enough that it's (just about!) possible to wrangle it through the gate on its side single handedly. Didn't realise quite how well mannered it was until borrowing a similarly sized modern one from a friend, that thing bounced and skipped all over the shop compared to this.

Poor thing really does need a bit of cosmetic work though. Obviously varnish on the woodwork...what do you reckon for the frame? Red, black, Invacar blue or dark grey? I'll be completely redoing the wiring as well as there are so many patches on there it's hard to tell what's part of the system and what's ancient repair work.

The carb for the Invacar is back together and back in place.

Didn't get time to do a test run today, but she's been started up and ran for a half hour or so. Had some misbehaviour for the first few minutes, but I know full well there will have been a bit of water and stuff still in there most likely so not reading too much into that. Hopefully get her out for a proper test run tomorrow.

Zelandeth

#215 Post by Zelandeth » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:59 pm

When collecting some tools from the van I managed to get utterly sidetracked and wound up finishing off the tiling in the kitchen.

Required a little bit of dismantling to be undertaken so I could get properly into the corners around stuff.

Having had it all apart before I knew where all the screws were and such so only took a few minutes and isn't anywhere near as drastic as it looks.

Back together in no time.

Really need to change the worktops. Ideal solution would be to find someone breaking a caravan. Would be the correct lightweight material and should already have spaces for things like the hob and sink already cut out.

Nice to be starting to put stuff back together at least. Speaking of putting stuff back together though, anyone got a clue what size these fittings are?

The smaller one in the background (the feed for the fridge) is a normal 8mm compression fitting, the rest are slightly larger, and thus far I've not been able to find a match anywhere locally. Unfortunately while I got several boxes of assorted bits and pieces with the van, the rest of these fittings are not present.

If they turn out to be something odd and obsolete I'll just get a new manifold, as I'm quite aware that hardware which was considered fine in 1990 is probably deemed horrifically unsafe now...

As far as exterior of the van goes, the one thing I'm missing is a decent set of wheel trims.

What I'm ideally after is a set of these, in 14" form.

They were an option on the commercial range, though usually unpainted rather than colour coded as on the cars. I'll likely be looking to get them repainted in the same metallic blue as the rest of the detailing on the van exterior.

Just need to find a set I don't need a second mortgage to afford now...

Zelandeth

#216 Post by Zelandeth » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:44 am

Currently working on sorting the kitchen plumbing out in the van.

It's worth remembering that when we got and took this thing to Scarborough that I was up pretty much into the wee hours of the morning we set out to get the services working well enough for a couple of days. So the pipework connected all the relevant points to each other - but the routing was basically just where stuff landed and nothing was trimmed to size. Just to make my life easier I had managed to end up with no less than three pipes wanting to occupy exactly the same space as the gas cylinder too.

Now it's time to sort things out properly. The hot water line here has been trimmed and loosely routed where it's meant to go. The cold shows how randomly they were just thrown in before!

The pipe clips I've picked up today can clip onto each other, so it will be possible to get them routed nice and neatly alongside each other.

I'm going to totally pull apart the sink and draining board waste line and remake it - want the Y piece right on the wall to keep it out the way. That's a bit of the original pipework that was reused, but I've got a load of convolute in stock so can make it fit properly...

Once that's done I can get the gas lines routed too. Wanted to do the water first as those pipes are more bulky and awkward so were obviously going to set the route.

The gas locker is going to have a lot of connections in - so I'm going to run all the lines to it, leak test everything *then* build the sealed box round it...as doing the fiddly bits will be far easier when I've got good access from three sides rather than trying to work in a tiny dark box.

Zelandeth

#217 Post by Zelandeth » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:27 am

Had been hoping to get most of a day to mess around with car stuff today...however it was gone six in the evening before that actually happened.

So not a massive amount done, but the pipework tidying from yesterday has continued.

I did quite early on do my first idiotic thing of the day when an went to remove the first bit of piping to trim it. I made absolutely sure that the water pump was switched off...I didn't however turn a tap on to depressurise the system, did I? So the moment I pulled the pipe off, I promptly got a rather cold shower.

This unsurprisingly made me jump and smack my head on the underneath of the worktop that was folded under at the time. In the process finding another couple of old panel pins still poking out and tearing a hole in one of my favourite T-shirts (and my shoulder).

We're getting there though. This is actually starting to look like it's being put together by someone who is vaguely competent now...doesn't it?

The pipes heading up through to the worktop will be trimmed above the worktop tomorrow as it's way easier to do from that side than trying to get it millimetre perfect while standing on your head in the puddle of water you just spilled.

The copper pipe you can see there is the gas supply for the water heater, it will be getting run along there just below the water pipes - once I track down some 8mm pipe clips (or I make up some rubber spacers and just clip an additional 15mm one on to the ones already there) I'll get that done. I'll probably pull that pipe out and fit a new one as I'd rather have a single piece all the way from the appliance all the way to the distribution manifold rather than having any unnecessary joints which could be potential leak sources in the future.

This is where we stopped tonight thanks to another idiotic blunder on my part. The clips are quite a tight fit (unsurprising given the hoses are thicker walled than the equivalent copper pipe), so you either need to give them a good old shove to click them closed. Or you can thump them with a hammer (especially for the awkward ones in the corner that are harder to get at) and they click straight in usually. Right up to the point you totally miss and instead of the clip you thump your thumb.

Ouch.

At the time I swore then went about continuing what I was doing - until thirty seconds later until I realised that the *drip...drip...drip...drip...* I could hear wasn't in fact water, it was blood. Maybe I should actually pay attention to what I just did to myself after all!

Given I was thoroughly out of daylight by this point I decided to just call it a day.

Not sure if tomorrow will see me get some more stuff done here or if I will put a bit of proper time in on the Invacar instead. Readjusting the CVT belt tension (reckon it's currently a bit tight based on the snatching I've been seeing when moving off) and taking the fuel gauge sender out and flipping it through 180 degrees because some idiot (that would be me) put it in upside down.

Zelandeth

#218 Post by Zelandeth » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 pm

Finally having time to actually sit down let's get the summary for today down.

Initially I went to go and finish off what I was three quarters of the way through doing on the van yesterday evening. Within 30 seconds I managed to stab myself under a fingernail with a rough edge of some plywood. I decided that his was a sign from the gods that I should leave the van alone today.

No issue there, given I've a list as long as my arm of things that need done on the Invacar. Oh...and Lada...and Xantia. Need to see if my desktop workstation can be revived too...Let's just concentrate on the Invacar.

Given that the fuel level had dropped below a third of a tank I reckoned that I should have plenty of clearance to pull the fuel gauge sender and flip it around so it was fitted the right way up. For future reference - the cutout in the case that the wiring comes out of should be pointing directly up.

Flipped round and resecured to the tank let's see if the gauge is reading sensibly now...

Much better. I did a dip test, and that's actually reasonably accurate, only reads slightly low - which is exactly what I want, following the gauge I shouldn't get caught short.

Finally got around to re-fitting the number plate light. I've turned the entire garage upside down several times looking for the little metal trim...No idea what I've done with it.

Current plan is to stop looking for it - as soon as I do that I'm sure it will turn up, that's how things usually work here.

Having paid careful attention to both the behaviour I had seen on the last few test runs I'd done and watching a couple of videos on YouTube that another owner has just produced where they have fitted a brand new set of pulleys and a new belt, I had decided that my CVT belt needed to be slackened back off a bit. It seems that if the belt is too tight it tends to make the behaviour when taking up drive very snatchy, and as it pulls the belt too far down into the grooves it also messes up the gearing. This was quite obvious in that the belt was sitting a good inch down from the outer edge of the secondary pulley at rest, rather than level with the outer edge as it should be.

A quick fiddle around with the tension soon had things sitting more sensibly.

The drive system here seems to be very noisy at speed - My best guess is that this is due to the fact that the secondary pulley is really badly pitted due to rust. The primary looks bad in the photos, but feels smooth save for the last 1/2" or so to touch with just some light pitting at the very outer edge. The secondary (to the right in this photo) is in quite a state though.

Time to take to the road for a test run. Once TP got done reminding me that it's far too long since she was last out by blanketing half our neighourhood in smoke when she was first started anyway.

There's no emission test as such required at all for a vehicle of this type and age beyond a visual "doesn't emit huge plumes of smoke at idle" check. TP isn't bad at all on that front, just tends to smoke for a few second or two on startup after sitting for a few days. There's no smoke visible on the overrun when driving so I'm not worried about this being symptomatic of worn valve stem oil seals - think it's more a case of "a really basic engine from the early 1970s" than anything else. I'm just going to keep an eye on it, I've a sneaking feeling that it's something that may well get better with use anyway.

We spent a good half hour or so trundling around our local area, the drive system seeming *far* happier today than on any previous outing, and so far the newly dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt carb has been behaving itself. No bouts of "sneezing" or any carrying on like that were seen other than one or two when she was still cold - and it seems that this happening occasionally is just "something they do" on occasion and shouldn't be worried about so long as it's not excessive. My gut feeling is that it's thanks to the inlet tract being quite long - I think under certain circumstances it takes longer for a richer mixture to arrive actually at the cylinder than it ideally needs to to keep things running exactly right. That's my theory anyway.

I was just thinking about going for an experimental high speed run when I noticed something at the side of the road stacked up next to a skip. I wasn't initially sure what it was - but it was clearly some form of tech from the 60s or 70s - something that my eye is pretty well attuned to spotting. Turned out that there were actually quite a few things there which were of interest. Of course I was in the ideal car for dragging ancient tat back home wasn't I...oh...wait...no, I was in a tiny three wheeler with no luggage compartment of any kind. Well, one of the main things I want to prove is that these little cars can actually manage just fine in day to day life...so she was loaded up!

Think we can officially say she's earning her keep by doing actual work now can't we?

Turns out that you can actually fit quite a decent amount of stuff in there on account of there being no foot controls.

I wasn't actually sure what I had grabbed to be honest...Was vary much a case of purely grabbing what really looked of interest. I may make another run by tomorrow to see if there's anything else worth grabbing hidden a bit deeper. I did speak to the owner of the house and they were fine with me helping myself. The way stuff was stacked neatly next to rather than in the skip very much suggests to me they were hoping someone would adopt some of the now homeless stuff which really was too good to be scrapped.

So what did I grab? Figure some of you might be interested at least given you put up with my ramblings most of the time...

A pair of these old Menvier emergency flood light units for a start.

Doesn't feel like they're fitted with any batteries currently, but with a new set sourced that should be emergency lighting for my garage sorted. That's something I've been meaning to look into for a while - our fuse box is in there so it's kinda sensible to make sure there is some provision in there.

Next thing looks to be one of the oldest 12V DC to 250V AC inverters I've come across so far.

Curious to have a closer look at this, suspect that one this old probably runs at a low enough frequency to ensure it whistles in just the correct way to ensure you want to you've your own eardrums out in ten minutes flat. Curious to take a look at how it's put together and what components have been used. Even if it's not actually used often, could be a nice upgrade to fit to the van too.

Not sure what the next one is yet beyond "DC - probably low voltage - power supply of some sort - possibly battery charger."

I'm guessing the 500uA range on the meter is misleading and it's likely been scavenged from another bit of gear at some point. No makers mark anywhere on it, so this might be a home brew job. Given the age this quite likely involves a selenium rectifier, so testing will definitely be done outdoors! You don't make that mistake twice...

Nearly dismissed this motor under the "don't know what I'd do with it" heading before telling myself to stop being silly, we that it was far too good quality kit to be seeing get binned.

Here's the rating plate for those who know their motors...

For all it looks rough, if you give it a spin by hand it takes a good thirty seconds to stop, so the bearings seem fine.

This is what I initially spotted poking out beside the skip which made me look closer and saw the rest of the stuff.

It's a teeny tiny compressor...Beyond that I've nothing. As with anything from this era though it's just a really nice...thing. I'll have a run by there again tomorrow and see if there's a receiver to go with this, though I doubt it. Will be curious to see whether it works. The plastic fitting on the outlet suggests it has been in relatively recent use though, and turning it over by had seems to suggest it is pumping.

A couple of reels of proper old school solder were grabbed as it's always useful to have around.

Last thing I spotted though - literally as I was initially pulling off - was something I've been keeping an eye out for for a while. Nice proper old-school pump action oil can.

That will look right at home in the Invacar regular maintenance tool kit.

Having obviously put my actual plans momentarily on hold when spotting all this stuff and dragging it back to my garage, my schedule was a little behind. I decided that I'd get one more thing ticked off before calling it a day - the high speed test run I had been about to do before I distracted myself by spotting interesting tat at the side of the road. Given the drive belt had been adjusted and the carb was a lot happier I wanted to see if she was capable of handling main road speeds now without excessive drama or any bits falling off.

An ideal day for that, as unsurprisingly the grid roads in MK are pretty quiet on a Sunday after the shops have all closed. First three attempts to get up to any real speed were thwarted by almost immediately catching up with and getting stuck behind modern traffic trundling around the 60mph roads at well below 40. Eventually though I did get a clear run on the stretch alongside our area - and decided to see if 60 was something that could actually happen.

Yes, yes it is! She will definitely do 60 (well, indicated anyway!), even within the relatively short run between our side road and the next roundabout, and on a slight uphill gradient. Time was against me today though given the amount of it I had wasted earlier, so I had to wrap it up there. Sixty isn't nearly as terrifying as some would have you believe - incredibly noisy, but didn't feel as though I was staring death in the eye. Only thing which makes it feel a bit strained at the moment is the low frequency vibration from the drive system, which I think is largely down to the rust on the secondary CVT pulley.

Had to do a bit of Automotive Tetris to get her back in the garage, so here's a photo of TP looking triumphant before retiring for the day having both hauled a load of stuff home and then managed to safely reach the posted speed limit.

Nicely showing off the hubcaps donated by a friend recently too.

Have to wonder, is that the first time that she has ever actually travelled at that sort of velocity under her own power? You do have to wonder with a vehicle like this!

Did get a fantastic double-take from the driver of the first Prius taxi I got stuck behind though when he saw me in his rear view mirror...

I'd say that's quite a decent day really. Will get the Megger out tomorrow and if they pass the initial tests, maybe see if any of this stuff works...Then inevitably make another run past to see if there's anything else worth nabbing that I can justify given the limitations on space I have to play with. Today's lot seemed far too good to just leave sitting there though.

JPB

#219 Post by JPB » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 am

I'm loving the positive reviews of the AC at every stage as you and the car bond with each other. Why are skips around my way full with Vestel-built, generic flat screen TVs that had expired the day after their warranties ended? :( The last time I found anything even vaguely interesting in a skip locally, that something was a human skull whose unearthing caused the local coppers some consternation until they realised that the skull was in fact a ghoulish display piece from a collection previously owned by someone who drove a 1950s BMC hearse as daily transport and kept venomous spiders as pets..
On selenium rectifiers; anyone who doesn't know that smell should try being around a tom cat in a confined space, the stench of the nervous animal's stream of territorial pee bears a striking resemblance to that of a selenium device failing, but without the sparks and the risk of nasty illness or death. I had one let go in a fifties Bush VHF90 (a selenium rectifier, not a cat thank goodness), the model with the fully illuminated, round red dial and FM only coverage, and am still around to laugh about the incident but these days, I replace selenium with modern diode-based alternatives. The purists won't be opening up the set to check for the period authenticity of my work and, along with capacitive droppers to keep the heat down, I'm quite happy to lose some aspects of "Old School" detail.

Keep it coming please, this thread is a great read. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Zelandeth

#220 Post by Zelandeth » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:20 am

You don't even usually see modern generic TVs here these days. This is only the second time I've spotted something worth stopping for in the five years that I've been here. First was only a few weeks after we moved in when I bagged a petrol lawn mower - that at least did need repairing, even if it was trivial for someone who knows one end of a spanner from the other.

It's a bit sad that given the sheer volume and variety of stuff there that I have to assume that the clearout is due to someone having passed away (I didn't ask). However I'd like to think that someone who must have been something of a tinkerer to have a garage full of kit like this would rather see his (or her) equipment being given a second chance rather than being binned.

The AC is just a universally interesting little car, which I really am hoping to get some proper use out of, even if I have already had several people telling me that my taking it north of 40mph was "suicidal" apparently...