Zel's Fleet Blog...Rover, Renault, Peugeot, Trabant, Invacar & Sinclair C5

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Zelandeth

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog...Citroen, Mercedes, Sinclair & AC Model 70

#1211 Post by Zelandeth » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:29 pm

Dick wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:41 pm
I've a couple of suggestions
Lancia or alfa romeo maybe a vw k70?
I'd love many things made by Lancia...living with them I'm not so sure though. I have very much a love-hate relationship with a Trevi owned by a friend. It's a glorious thing to drive when it's working, but is an absolute pig of a thing to work on and parts availability is basically nill.

Alfa...I actually have near zero experience with other than knowing the 156 we had in at the garage back around 2003 was a lovely drive. VW K70 I had to look up!

There's an indication of how sad it looked when I got it there too...
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

gazza82

#1212 Post by gazza82 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:39 pm

Dick wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:41 pm
I've a couple of suggestions
Lancia or alfa romeo maybe a vw k70?
I must admit I've had a sneak preview so not here to spoil the fun too much .. but you may need to travel a bit more north west out of Italy.

I'm not sure Alfa ever had a fwd without a transverse engine. My 156 TSpark certainly didn't but the real loon I had was the 75 Twinspark with the trans-axle gearbox .. until you realise that the propshaft just under your left elbow could be rotating at over 7000rpm!! But with an LSD it could literally walk in ice and once it did. All the rep-mobiles couldn't get up the hill from the M3 J3 towards Bagshot/Bracknell and then I just drifted past them .. even the boys in blue were impressed! One gave me the :thumbs:

EDIT: Just had a thought .. AlfaSud/Alfa 33 had a boxer engine and FWD ... but not many of them survived the tin-rot!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Dick

#1213 Post by Dick » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:36 pm

Toyota tercel? Renault 12... headache and not thinking straight...

Zelandeth

#1214 Post by Zelandeth » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:32 am

To be honest if I was after an oddball Alfa it would probably be a 75. Friend of ours used to have one. Wasn't the fastest thing ever in a straight line, but oh the noise it made. Made up for any straight line grunt by the ability to go round corners far quicker than it seemed like it should be able to.

The soundtrack though is my main memory of that car. That and that everything aside from the engine always felt like it was imminently about to fly apart at any moment.

Let's get caught up on the fleet movements then. The rest of the fleet update can come next as it's comparatively easy to follow. You were very much heading in the right direction.

I can't remember exactly where we were, but the first main order of business which happened was the BX moving on to new pastures.

This had always kind of been my plan from the beginning. My main plan with that car had been to save it from a potential trip to the crusher, get it properly appraised, improve what I could and then move it on to a long term custodian. If it had been a relatively easy route to get it MOT worthy I'd have happily done that, but I wasn't getting involved in major projects like large scale hydraulic line replacements involving dropping subframes and the like.

It has gone to a good home however. You may recall a lovely beige Talbot Alpine visited a while ago - yes, the owner of that car is the new keeper of the BX. It's been a dream car of theirs for many years, one I was happy to be able to help happen. I believe by this point she's actually very close to being roadworthy again. One of the conditions of sale was that they come back over with the car once she's on the road so I can have a proper shot.

The reason I needed to shuffle the BX on was to make way for what I had planned to be 2023's main project. Shown here after I'd done some fettling and cleaning up.

Which mechanically didn't need a huge amount doing...basically just recommissioning and a clutch release bearing as far as I could tell. With a couple of fuel lines replaced and the points cleaned she was up and running really nicely. The only thing she wasn't doing was stopping. I was literally a few days away from sending the brake calipers off for refurbishment (as new ones are really quite hard to find), and starting to cut out the couple of bits of rust that needed sorting (of which there was *astonishingly* little for a non restored mark I Cavalier.

It was a really solid basis for a nice rolling restoration, and shouldn't be at all hard to get into a roadworthy state. A very sensible classic too. About as sophisticated as a brick, generally okay for parts support aside from a few bits and pieces, tax and MOT exempt, and with every facet of ownership well documented so there should be zero surprises to worry about. It's an absolutely ideal practical classic.

This is the point at which you need to cut to the sound of the stylus violently sliding off a playing record, as I did something very, very silly.

Um...yeah.

This moment of madness requires a little bit of explanation though and to rewind to 2001-5 when I had a Saturday job at a tiny little used car dealer in rural Aberdeenshire. This was mainly centred around keeping their rolling stock cleaned, but did extend into more general dog's body duties as time went on. One of the highlights of this though was having the opportunity to pursue their stock deemed to be too old for them to bother with before they got punted on to the auctions.

I got a good few bargains out of that arrangement I reckon. Including my first brush with the French way of motoring, with this little 11TC.

Which cost me a whole £120, and I really rather liked. Even in what I now know to be basically base spec, it was really comfortable and went incredibly well for a 1.2. Its biggest vice I found was that it was an absolute devil to get parts for. Made right on the changeover between the phase 1 and 2, this car seemed to have been made using whatever parts they found rolling around on the factory floor, none of which matched the parts specified for either Phase 1 or 2 cars. Bearing in mind this was before the internet had become quite as useful source of information it has today. I'm sure the owners clubs etc would have been able to help out there these days - but back then it was an absolute nightmare. I have a distinct memory of it taking me weeks to find a CV boot.

There was also the first Saab, which was a bit of a wreck - but cost me £60 and was always planned to be run until either the MOT ran out or something broke, whichever happened first.

While it wasn't a pocket money car, they did me an absolute cracking deal on my Lada Niva as well.

The car which always stood out as my favourite though was this one.

Which cost me I think £60. Sadly I only ever got to drive it once, for a couple of miles before I bought it. I was at college at the time, which resulted in me leaving the house at something like 4:30 in the morning and getting back somewhere around 19:00 so having zero time available. So it was sent down to our local "car guy" under my father's care to see what it would take to get it an MOT. Sadly it was condemned due to rust in the rear suspension arms, and I never saw it again. Of course these days we'd be shipping a good set of arms over from France in a heartbeat - but this was 2003 or so when these cars were worth...well...what I'd just paid for it. I never quite forgave my father though for not consulting me before binning it, as I'd have kept it around for a while on the drive just as a very comfy lounge to listen to my music on the absolutely epic stereo system.

It was a car I vowed point blank that I would own again one day.

Fast forward to 2010 or so when I was more a master of my own fate and had some disposable income I started to look around a bit for one...and discovered they were all but extinct, and basically stopped looking after a year or so.

Until just before Christmas 2022, when the following ad popped up in a Telegram chat that I don't even check all that regularly right as I opened it up.

My immediate expectation was that this was most likely going to be a rust bucket that was going to be far beyond what I was willing to get involved in. However it was local so I knew I needed to actually take a look at it otherwise I'd forever wonder if I made the right decision. Not as though I was going to get another chance.

However when I got there I was pleasantly surprised. The description was pretty accurate, and while there were a few bits of rust needing attention, I'd definitely not have called it a rot box.

I'd made a very specific point of examining the exterior before touching the interior as I knew the moment I sat in it I'd be sold if my memory of how comfortable the interior was even vaguely accurate.

I had kind of expected a 20 year old memory to have exaggerated the luxury...it hadn't.

Suffice to say the 50 mile drive home was slightly nervous. The car while technically roadworthy had only covered a couple of hundred miles since it was resurrected from a 11 year slumber...in 2017. And we were driving straight off into Oxfordshire last minute Christmas shopping traffic. Great!

Thankfully the drive home was entirely without incident. Though unsurprisingly I had come up with quite a to do list.

[] The tyres were utterly ancient. The newest one on the car I think was from 2006, oldest dating to the mid 90s.
[] Something sounded absolutely horrific in the front suspension - likely drop links, but having had a lower ball joint fail on me without warning in the past that sort of noise always makes me nervous.
[] Steering wheel was way off centre and rotated distinctly not around where the centre should be.
[] Temperature gauge reads what looks to be very high (I've since been told by several people they do just read like that).
[] Speedometer works when it feels like it.
[] The exhaust rattles.
[] The driver's power window switch falls out every time you close the door.
[] Driver's door required usually 5-10 attempts to get it to latch.
[] Passenger's front door speaker grill ejects itself every time the door is closed.
[] Windscreen wiper blades were noticeably lacking in any actual blade.
[] Multifunction display on the dash was showing nonsense and the stereo didn't work.
[] Biblical levels of clear coat peel on the offside.

Probably a bunch of other things I've forgotten...it was several months ago now.

In all...she was in need of a bit of love. However she was fundamentally solid, and I had been reminded immediately of quite how well I felt that car fitted me back then. I felt it was a bit of a huge car at the time, but being a bit more a confident driver now it doesn't feel nearly so overwhelmingly vast...just substantial.

Oh, and oh, oh so comfy. Have some more up to date photographs, starting with the interior, which was always the 25's party piece, especially in the Monaco.

She looks a bit less sorry for herself after a good clean at least.

I will update further on exactly what's been done so far, what's still to be done and the overall plan. However one thing that needs to be kept in mind, and that's this car is a keeper. It's taken me a very, very, very long time to find this car, and given the Monaco is basically gone I'm not going to have a shot at another one. The odds of me ever finding this car were nigh on non existent too between me having not been looking for it, not regularly checking the chat the link turned up in, and me very nearly deciding not to look at it...it's near miraculous we actually ended up crossing paths.

More details will follow - along with the news on the rest of the fleet, but that will probably be slightly less involved than this was/will be, as you can imagine there's been a fair amount of fettling going on since the Bronze Barge arrived on my driveway.
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Dick

#1215 Post by Dick » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:12 pm

I've driven quite a few Renaults and sadly own a couple. both "en panne".. . they are so comfortable to drive but in my experience so unreliable.. I do like the espace 4, we had one as a taxi and I loved it until the turbo emptied the sump and the engine went pop.. I hope you have better luck :thumbs:

Dick

#1216 Post by Dick » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:34 am

Just had a look at the photos again, you have made a great job of tidying it up.. ive still got my clio in the shed, I'm using it to teach the kids to drive..

Zelandeth

#1217 Post by Zelandeth » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:20 pm

Here was this afternoon's task.

Every electrolytic cap on there changed.

...Then I had to change the mains filter caps back again. The new ones it turns out were too tall. Though those I was least worried about, they're Elna branded caps which I've never had an issue with. There was no evidence of leakage, and they test fine.

Despite the rear of the board looking horrendous at first glance, aside from a bit of surface tarnishing, everything looks fine.

So if everything works I'll re-paint the rear of the board where I've removed the solder mask. Knowing whether it works or not remains to be seen. It was going on 2200 by the time I got it fully reassembled, and I couldn't face the idea of having to traipse outside in the pouring rain to the garage to reset the RCD/Circuit breaker if there's an issue with ground leakage or something in the primary side goes pop. So testing that is a job for tomorrow. I still have my doubts, as I have a feeling that the electrolyte may have soaked into the board itself. We'll see.

A package did arrive in the late afternoon for the T5200 that I had forgotten was on the way.

Which contained a nice new old stock 80387DX-20. So no empty sockets here any more.

Which seems to work just fine.

I've never actually done a direct comparison with the same machine with and without a math co-processor before (as I've never actually fitted one before) so was curious to see what impact it has on the benchmark results.

So, NPU benchmark results...

Before: 100.6K Whetstones.
After: 1660.8K.

Yeah, that's quite a difference. Exactly what difference that would make in the real world I'm not sure. Just nice to know that the machine has pretty much all of the main factory options fitted now.

Webpage for the T1200 is about 95% done, I just need to finish the final summary and check I've got all the images properly linked etc. Wonder what the odds of me finding a math co processor for that are...

Dick

#1218 Post by Dick » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:07 pm

the circuit board looked pretty much forked, and you manage to get it working properly. I'm impressed! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Zelandeth

#1219 Post by Zelandeth » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:23 am

It turned out that on testing the T3200SXC power supply had survived its brush with death. Powering it on resulted in a machine which was powering up and clearly POSTing just fine. Sadly it hasn't (as I expected) sorted the display issue. The panel drive levels were clearly all way out of spec. You could just about make out the display inverted if you viewed it from just the right angle.

While I had it in bits I grabbed a photo of the innards while everything was out of the way.

I'll be annotating that somewhere down the line for use on the webpage for this system when I write it. Huge amount of the motherboard is usually buried with everything installed.

I did have a go at repairing the display, replacing every electrolytic capacitor in there. Which was precisely as much of a pain of a job as I expected it to be. I'm really not set up for dealing with tiny components like these.

Especially as this is one of those things that was never designed to be serviced. Several things (like that small PCB) were pressed together on assembly (AND soldered!) making it basically impossible to disassemble non destructively. I did what I could though.

Sadly it didn't work. We went from an unusably washed out display to no display. Can't say I was massively surprised. It was a bit of a long shot trying to repair this display, but it was worth a try. Especially with it being a very early TFT panel rather than a DSTN panel which would have been expected back then.

I'm not sure what signals are carried to the display panel, if it was actually just VGA analogue data it *might* be possible to retrofit another panel to get the machine back to fully functional, but with there being 27 conductors rather than the 15 on a normal VGA cable, even allowing for several power rails in there that seems a lot of extra conductors. That's a job for another day though.

Otherwise though the system seems to be back up and running, albeit on an external display.

A little while ago I mentioned the fact that the 80386SX CPU on this board comes with a fairly hefty performance penalty over the DX variant because it only has a 16-bit rather than 32-bit data bus. So a lot of clock cycles are essentially "lost" because it has to do bank switching to handle the full memory address range.

Now conveniently I benchmarked an 80386DX machine yesterday.

This also runs at 20MHz, so all things being equal you would expect the numbers to be identical.

Ouch...so yeah, you're taking roughly a 30% performance penalty with the SX rather than DX version of the CPU. I imagine that would be particularly apparent if you're doing memory intensive work.

Bit of a shame I couldn't get the display going, especially as this computer is incredibly clean - even more so than my modern laptop. However those are the breaks in this hobby sometimes. In fairness it's probably one of the lower value machines to me so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it.

The condition of the power supply though has been a bit of a wake up call, and I will now be fully re-capping the PSUs in the rest of the mains powered Toshibas I think, irrespective of if I've had any prior issues with them (or whether I spotted anything during a recent visual inspection). That's something I'd only ever really had major issues with on the battery powered machines before - I'd rather spend a few hours for the peace of mind now than having to mop up the mess in the future.

Zelandeth

#1220 Post by Zelandeth » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:23 am

Had a couple of hours today where I was actually feeling vaguely human and the weather was looking decent. So I said screw it to the stuff around the house that needed doing and instead pulled TPA out of winter hibernation.

Started first try, didn't even smoke today. Think she was out briefly once in February, but certainly hasn't had a decent run since November or December. It was February when I fitted the new voltage regulator, and I've never done a test run since then.

Until today anyway.

Charging system looks to be behaving so much better now. Jumps up to 13-14V pretty much as soon as you're above 1500rpm or thereabouts, and stays there rock steady. To get really meaningful charging before I basically had to be going fast enough to have the CVT maxed out. Now if I'm moving I have good system voltage.

Hard to say as I wasn't out for a massively long run and it's been a while since I had the car out, but it honestly felt like she was pulling better at high revs, just felt as though she was holding 60 easier than usual. I guess it's possible that the generator was bleeding off some power at the top end (I was seeing nearly 16V on the voltmeter at that sort of speed), which isn't now happening as it's being properly regulated.

Only thing I noted that wasn't too happy after the hibernation was the handbrake felt really gummy. It's definitely at the front end of things rather than rear of the cantilever mechanism under the floor. I can't quite tell if it's the cable itself that's sticking or the lever itself. I've lubed both up and it seems better, hoping it will free off fully with a bit more use. While I had the grease out I also gave the door runners a thorough greasing...I hadn't realised how bad it had got. First time I opened it afterwards I just about threw the door off the front of the car! You can slide it with one finger now. I really do need to properly sort the rollers on the door at some point...that's not massively high on the priority list though to be honest. Priority one right now of course is getting the lovely newly repaired hub fitted.

We've got a guest staying for the new couple of weeks though, so not expecting to get a chance to do much of anything for a while. I know they're going to want to see TPA though, so seemed all the more reason to pull her out of hibernation.

I always forget how much this little car makes me smile. I'd had a pretty rough morning and in the last hour before I wandered into the garage was quite shaken up by a run in with a very aggressive driver in a BMW threatening me at knife point for having the audacity to be surprised to find them charging at 40mph the wrong way through a one way system. Felt a lot better after getting TPA out for a run on a nice sunny afternoon when the roads were actually pretty quiet though.

I had the van out for an hour or so a couple of days back, which I think was the first time she's been more than a mile from base this year. Do want to give her a really good run though - takes quite a while to get that old lump fully up to temperature! Need to consult my records but I'm pretty sure she's due a service too.