Zel's Fleet Blog...Rover, Renault, Peugeot, Trabant, Invacar & Sinclair C5

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Dick

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog...Jag, Citroen, Mercedes, Sinclair & AC Model 70

#821 Post by Dick » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:34 pm

Maestro?

Zelandeth

#822 Post by Zelandeth » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:57 pm

Dick wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:34 pm
Maestro?
Nope...Wrong country! Need to look a bit further south.

-- -- --

Before I could conduct a test drive of the Invacar (which involved a run out to get essential supplies) I had a couple of minor jobs to finish. Reattaching the front mud guard and draining off a bit of brake fluid as the pressure bleeder as usual left the reservoir too full.

Job done.

Mud guard is still a bit scruffy but given the location I think it's absolutely fine.

Also found an ideal stowage location for my cover prop (which is actually one of the old floor mat retaining strips).

So on to the test drive. Well, after ten minutes of car Tetris anyway. Slightly concerned by whatever on earth this is under the Jag that it left behind when moved.

Nothing has visibly dropped, though given the capacity of most of the fluids on this thing that doesn't mean much!

Answers on a post card? Wondering if there's just enough oil leakage that it's emulsified with the recent rain?

I have proven that there's ample room to park the inbound motor behind the Xantia.

If the Jag and Xantia can fit there, Xantia and a slightly smaller motor should have room to spare.

In the Invacar we got almost exactly 20 miles covered today.

Which I think gives the game away that the test was successful as otherwise I'd have turned around pretty much immediately and headed back to base.

Instead we got all the errands run without incident. Yes I diverted by 1/4 a mile to take a couple of photos to prove she's actually moved.

Observations:

Really wish I'd done this sooner. The difference in braking performance really is night and day. Previously you had a degree of free travel followed by an inch or so of very firm travel where all braking effort took place.

Now there's more travel - but delivering progressive braking throughout. It used to be just about possible to lock a wheel if you absolutely threw your weight on the bars, but it took a lot of effort. Now I'd say the effort required to deliver that amount of braking force is on par with any other car that doesn't have ABS. The overall feel of the brakes is *massively* more confidence inspiring.

Regarding locking up the wheels that was something I was most concerned about, so one of the first things I did was find a deserted bit of industrial estate and do a bunch of 30mph emergency stop tests. She isn't any more prone to locking up than anything else without ABS, and there doesn't seem to be any tendency for the front to lock up overly easily. I think the forward weight shift under heavy braking helps there. I wasn't able to detect any tendency for control to be compromised at all.

Limited to 50mph at the moment while the new belt is run in, but braking down from that sort of speed for a roundabout/junction is no more effort than in the Jag or van. The brakes honestly feel pretty decent now.

Handbrake is fully applied seven clicks out it seems, and is quite capable of stopping the car, no slower than in any other car really.

Obviously she's not been worked particularly hard given I've got to obey a 50mph speed limit for the first 50 miles of the life of the new belt, but I was pleased at the cylinder head temperatures we were seeing. Bumbling around at low speeds it sits pretty solidly at about 125C.

Highest I saw on a long uphill stretch was 165C. Perfectly reasonable numbers, and it seems to be pretty stable.

Interesting to see that - I'm assuming because it's bristling with cooling fins - that this engine doesn't seem to suffer the sort of heat soak issues I'm used to seeing with water cooled engines. The Xantia is particularly bad for that, the temperature on that if you come back to start it up after a brief stop can be quite alarming. This just seems to immediately start dropping in temperature from the moment the engine stops. Which being a thermocouple gauge you can actually see as it's self-powered, so doesn't shut off with the ignition.

Speaking of confidence inspiring...I honestly had no idea how much the seat was moving around before! That actually staying put really does make the handling feel far less wayward, as I'm not subjected to an inch or two of what feels like oversteer every time I change direction. It was also apparently a source of several rattles.

I can't say I noticed a huge difference in the steering, though it *might* be slightly more stable in a straight line. Hard to say how much of that is just placebo effect though.

Brake fluid level reassuringly hasn't moved at all during the journey.

Glad that fluid is staying where it belongs!

On the subject of fluids, it looks like I might have also been successful in sorting the gearbox oil leak. Bit hard to tell because of historic deposits, but this area would normally be visibly wet after a run, rather than just "a bit oily." The upper part in particular you could usually see where it was running down from the top cover plate join.

I will obviously monitor that to make sure the oil continues to stay where it belongs.

While I'm still treating it gently at the moment I can't say I can tell any difference so far between the HP2020 belt and the NOS actual Invacar one which came off. Will keep you up to date on that.

Here's a brief snippet from the first few minutes of the run out. This was done by attaching the phone to the rear view mirror with rubber bands...better than the actual proper phone mount, but still horribly shaky. Plus it meant the mirror wouldn't stay put. That was the main reason I called time on video and pulled over to stop it, I wanted my mirror to behave given I was going to be doing a lot of stops/starts for a few minutes.

YouTube Link

It's early days but the initial impressions are that these improvements have been precisely that. The braking performance improvement in particular and having a seat that stays put both make a *huge* difference in the overall driving experience.

Can't say I notice any real difference in the noise levels having pulled the flashband off the service hatch. Definitely not worth the few kilograms of extra weight for all the difference it was making.

Today also gave me the opportunity to do something I'd meant to for ages... actually get a photo of all of the cars together in one shot.

They're all filthy...but better than nothing!

Of course in two days this group will be out of date and I'll need to get an updated one!

Given there's been quite a bit of work done there it feels quite good to actually have tangible improvements coming out of it.
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Dick

#823 Post by Dick » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:35 am

Further south... french?

Zelandeth

#824 Post by Zelandeth » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:30 am

Dick wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:35 am
Further south... french?
Yes indeed...With an engine seemingly purposefully designed to be as awkward to work on as possible...
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Dick

#825 Post by Dick » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:28 am

Zelandeth wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:30 am
Dick wrote:
Further south... french?
Yes indeed...With an engine seemingly purposefully designed to be as awkward to work on as possible...
I would say a phase 2 clio 1.5 dci, as they are bloody awful to fix, but that's too young. From my experience bx 2cv gs are fairly easy... i need a clue...

Zelandeth

#826 Post by Zelandeth » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:46 pm

Dick wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:28 am
Zelandeth wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:30 am
Dick wrote:
Further south... french?
I would say a phase 2 clio 1.5 dci, as they are bloody awful to fix, but that's too young. From my experience bx 2cv gs are fairly easy... i need a clue...
Well it would be dead easy to work on the engine if the manufacturer hadn't decided to virtually turn it the wrong way up...Has one certain mechanical oddity shared with an A-Series engine too.

Dick

#827 Post by Dick » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 pm

Renault 5?

Zelandeth

#828 Post by Zelandeth » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:02 pm

Dick wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 pm
Renault 5?
Oh, an early 5 would be a lot of fun. Don't think I've ever driven one actually!

You actually already suggested and discounted it - Suitcase engined BX. To be fair I'm guessing a bit about awkward access, I've only worked on one car with that engine and I have distinct memories of spending far longer than seemed reasonably changing a set of plugs!

As for the exact details, you'll find out soon...It's been picked up and is due to arrive here between 0900 and 1000 tomorrow. Quite excited to see what I've wound up with myself...Only actually saw the nearside of it for the first time in the photo I was sent of it being loaded!

-- -- --

Back on the subject of the Invacar, the final two instruments are now on the way for the dash pod. I wasn't going to bother about this until next month, but the voltmeter ended up going for the grand sum of £3.20 so I was able to get both of them for less than £25 - which is less than most of the older clocks I'd been seen were selling for alone. At least once they're all fitted they will all match reasonably well with the pointers being the same colour, and nothing will look stupid and modern like the plastic tat which I'd previously had in place. That will be really nice to have finished as it's the last really obvious thing which makes the interior look unfinished at the moment.

Voltmeter on two cars recently has saved me from getting into bother when I had issues with the charging system (which didn't bring on the light on the dash!), so I've come to consider it an essential instrument nowadays! Clock is just something which the absence of really irritates me, even though I know it's far from mission critical. One day I might consider swapping it out for oil pressure...but plumbing that in will be a pain so that's a possibility for somewhere down the line. Not worrying about it for now.

Zelandeth

#829 Post by Zelandeth » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:50 am

Well would you look what just turned up...

Will have a closer look and try to get some better photos later on when it's not tipping it down with rain!

Aaron

#830 Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:24 pm

That is very cool.