Zel's Fleet Blog...Rover, Renault, Peugeot, Trabant, Invacar & Sinclair C5

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Zelandeth

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog...Citroen, Mercedes, Sinclair & AC Model 70

#1441 Post by Zelandeth » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:32 pm

Dick wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:41 am
What was the exchange rate for the $... good luck with getting stuff delivered.. most of my suppliers don't ship to Europe and when they do its vat and funding the magic money forest in charges..
Can't remember exactly, but the charges cames to somewhere in the region of £80 from memory.

-- -- --

Today I could have been sensible and taken the Peugeot to get my various bits of running around done, but that's boring, sensible talk.

Plus with how much of a zoo anywhere near to a retail establishment is at this time of year a tiny car is a major bonus. Being relatively immune to door dings in car parks isn't a bad thing either.

With those two cut wires hooked back up the windscreen washers now work correctly from the control again. Not the tidiest job I've ever done but it will do.

Under the dash I had spotted a couple of holes in the bulkhead through which I could see daylight, so found a couple of trim clips to fill those - I put a blob of grease behind them to discourage any water or fumes from using it as a way to enter the cabin.

Sure there are probably plenty more of those, and the grommet the wiring loom goes through there has an opening I can easily fit my thumb through, but I've tried at least!

While I had the trim clip box out I replaced the one broken clip which was holding the dash mat to the top of the dash. Of course it looked daft with one that was slightly different in design to the others, so I went and replaced all of them so they at least match.

Hoping this weekend I will have a chance to do something about the dangling wiring under there, but it's always hard to say how time will work out at weekends.

The interior light was just dangling by it's wires as part of the housing has cracked. I've attacked this with epoxy this evening so hopefully it will stay put in future. Not sure if the contacts will clean up enough for it to actually work - but not falling out as soon as you close a door would be progress.

My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Zelandeth

#1442 Post by Zelandeth » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:36 pm

The repair to the interior light lens appears to have worked.

It hasn't fallen out again so far anyway. Unfortunately it also doesn't seem to work, though I've yet to ascertain if we have power to it yet and couldn't summon the enthusiasm to go all the way back inside and upstairs to retrieve a meter today.

I did have the occasion to actually make use of the headlights after dark today and can confirm that they are marginally less useful than the dash illumination.

Not great.

I have a feeling that they're just aimed really low to compensate for being LHD headlights as they did seem to be doing a halfway decent job of lighting the tarmac about 6' in front of the car, but that was it. I need to take a closer look at them to see if they are the same 7" size that seem to be really common. If so I'll probably look at seeing if we can modify a spare backing plate to use a Mini style headlight unit, allowing us to get proper RHD lights on the car. Helpfully I do have a couple of spare bowls so I can experiment easily enough there.
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Dick

#1443 Post by Dick » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:35 am

Could you fit led headlights on the car :idea:

Zelandeth

#1444 Post by Zelandeth » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:09 pm

Dick wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:35 am
Theoretically yes, though they would look horrible, and it's not something I would ever do out of respect for other drivers, never mind the legal aspect. Last thing they need is me blinding them with optical systems that were never designed to work with the car. Proper LED systems need active beam height control, which you're never going to have with something bolted onto an older car.

A decent set of round H4 headlights in good order should be pretty decent, and it's not like this is going to be used for commuting so usage in the dark is generally going to be pretty minimal.

Dick

#1445 Post by Dick » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:27 pm

Zelandeth wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:09 pm
Dick wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:35 am
Theoretically yes, though they would look horrible, and it's not something I would ever do out of respect for other drivers, never mind the legal aspect. Last thing they need is me blinding them with optical systems that were never designed to work with the car. Proper LED systems need active beam height control, which you're never going to have with something bolted onto an older car.

A decent set of round H4 headlights in good order should be pretty decent, and it's not like this is going to be used for commuting so usage in the dark is generally going to be pretty minimal.
I saw one of the car restoration programmes, they fitted a set and it seemed like a good idea, I'm used to driving cars with 1 burnt out candle for headlights.. I bought some to replace the reversing pitiful light bulbs on the new galaxy, fitted one and the other has vanished into the depths of my shed..

gazza82

#1446 Post by gazza82 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:38 pm

Were they separate bulbs or complete headlamps?

Bulbs rarely work as the light pattern doesn't match the reflector. Complete units are designed properly arond tge LED .. well some are!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Zelandeth

#1447 Post by Zelandeth » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:44 pm

I had a closer look into the lighting situation today. Opinions online seemed to be 50/50 split over whether the "standard" 7" units will fit without modification. Helpfully I have both some spare headlight baskets that came with the car, and still have a cheap pair of 7" headlights that I bought for something goodness only knows when. I think I actually bought them in error, but they've proven handy on a couple of occasions now. They first saw service on TPA for a few months when she was first returned to the road prior to being replaced with something more period appropriate looking.

After a bit of digging in the garage I was able to confirm that they do indeed seem to fit just fine here.

Everything lines up properly, slots into the locating notch in both the housing and the adjuster, and the whole unit is clocked correctly.

It looks like this may not be the case for all variants as there's another basket here in which the locating tabs are in a different location so the light would be clocked wrong if I fitted it to that, not sure if that's something which changed from a particular production date, but it seems likely.

Looks like it should be a pretty simple solution here at least though. Just a set of generic 7" units (with the sidelight included) and a set of Osram Night breakers and we should be all set.

Zelandeth

#1448 Post by Zelandeth » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:44 pm

Had very little time available today but still managed to get something ticked off.

If you look at the front of the Trabant it's obviously taken a minor knock to the front at some point. Nothing major, I'm talking a parking mishap rather than a crash. The visible evidence of that is a crack in the bonnet and a ding in the front panel (aka radiator grill which isn't actually a grill).

I'm guessing the badge pinged off into oblivion at the same time.

Underneath the bonnet there was some further damage in that the catch assembly which is normally bonded to the underneath of the bonnet moulding had come adrift.

That had sort of been "fixed" with a bolt at the leading edge - and a bundle of tiny zip ties through one the badge mounting holes.

I've reverted this to a more similar arrangement to what the factory would have used, "gluing" the latch assembly back to the underside of the bonnet using PU adhesive.

Reckon this should be more than strong enough for the job, I made sure the surfaces were clean beforehand and roughed up so it should have a plenty strong bond. Better than the 1/32" of the edge of the washer on that one bolt that was basically holding it together before that's for sure. That bolt (and a larger washer so it actually does something) has been put back in for now, keeping things squeezed together while the adhesive sets. After that I'll remove it and fill in the holes that shouldn't be there. I do have a replacement badge on the way. I have picked up some paint which may or may not be a vaguely close match, I've not checked yet.

While I had the adhesive out I took the opportunity to fill in the 3/4" gap in the top of the windscreen seal. I know I've got a replacement on the way but I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to actually fit that, and a gap that big definitely wouldn't be doing us any favours.

It was dark by the time it had set up so I could remove the tape, so no photo of that. At least there's not a visible gap to the outside world behind the rear view mirror now.

So nothing ground breaking, but one more thing ticked off hopefully.

Zelandeth

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog...Rover, Renault, Peugeot, Trabant, Invacar & Sinclair C5

#1449 Post by Zelandeth » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:31 pm

This morning I got an email informing me that my parcel from Trabantwelt had arrived at my local Parcel Force depot and would be released for delivery once the customs charge had been paid, which I could do through their online portal. Details on that charge would be sent to me...in a posted letter. All I needed to pay the charge was a reference number...which was not in the email. Why send me an email telling me you're sending a letter?!? Either include the reference number I need in the email, or just send the letter.

I figured I'd nothing to lose so set off to the depot with my ID and reference numbers to see if it could be dealt with in person rather than waiting for the letter, which I doubt I'll be seeing this side of January.

Thankfully the gent there (who also agreed it's a daft way of doing things in this day and age) was able to look everything up so we were able to get it paid up and the parcel could be released. Even better, they were happy to just hand it over to me rather than having to wait for delivery.

So a happy resolution at least. Even if paying £70 in customs charges on top of a £250 order that I'd already paid £35 shipping on did sting a little. That at least I was braced for.

Oooh, goodies.

The vast bulk of what's in here is door and window seals. I'll maybe get a chance to go after the door seals at the weekend, but the window ones will need to wait a while. There were some smaller bits and pieces though which I could put into play in a matter of a few minutes.

First up being dealing with this aftermarket switch on the dash.

This was for a fog light which looks to have long since vanished, so it's basically just acting as a safe termination block for the wiring at present. It was previously prevented from disappearing into the dash with a very liberal application of electrical tape.

It's now been replaced with something which actually fits in the dash properly.

That is a switch for a later model hence the symbol being in the wrong place and the switch being black rather than yellow or green, but I think you'll agree it's an improvement. Hoping down the line I'll be able to get hold of one that's actually the exact correct type for the car.

I'm unlikely to ever really have a use for a stereo in this car as it's just too noisy. So I had ordered up the factory blanking plate which fills the gap it otherwise leaves in the dash. I think this really is more in keeping with the somewhat minimalist ethos of the car too.

Feels like we're starting to get somewhere now tidying up the interior, if we compare to the day the car was collected.

A brand correct keyring is always a must, where I can find one anyway. When you have too many cars like I do it's also actually helpful in identifying them at a glance from the far side of the table or when fishing them out of a pocket.

Also on the subject of branding, the missing badge on the bonnet has now been reinstated.

Which tidies things up from the front far more than you'd expect. Though I still need to remove and fill the hole left by that one bolt. Now the adhesive holding the bonnet latch assembly to the panel has fully cured it's redundant.

The car was out and about quite a bit today (prior to getting any of the new bits fitted).

Have to say that for such a small and light car she seems far less phased by the wind than I expected, It's been quite breezy here today.

You definitely know it's a breezy day, but I was expecting such a small car to get blown around on the road far more than this one seems to.

Yesterday afternoon another pair of parts I'd recently ordered turned up.

A little modification will needed to fit these as the original lights have the sidelight lamp holder attached to the bracket which holds the main lamp in rather than being separate like on these, so I'll need to snip that wire and add a terminal. Not exactly difficult.

Once these are fitted there will be no further need for ugly stick on beam deflectors or shenanigans with the lights being aimed stupidly low to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. We'll see what the voltages actually delivered at the headlights looks like, if it's a bit feeble I'll look at installing some local relays to take the load off the switches etc. Though the wiring all seems reasonably substantial looking so hopefully it will be fine.

Zelandeth

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog...Rover, Renault, Peugeot, Trabant, Invacar & Sinclair C5

#1450 Post by Zelandeth » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:13 pm

Can't really think of a better car for doing battle with the pre Xmas madness if unlike me you were unfortunate enough to have to go out into it today than the Trabant.

Usually I'd have avoided going anywhere, but the delivery order we had yesterday evening was missing about 30% of what we'd asked for, and I needed to get to a pharmacy anyway.

In fairness, things were busier than usual but nowhere near as bad as I've seen it. Imagine tomorrow will be utter carnage though. I will emphatically NOT be leaving the house tomorrow! Not voluntarily anyway...

Things in favour of this car today:

[] Tiny footprint. Even the smallest parking bays look huge.

[] Unreasonably tiny turning circle which makes getting into said spaces easy. Invacar actually loses points there as the steering lock actually isn't great.

[] Good sized boot for such a small car. Again big bonus over the Invacar which has to make do with a shelf behind the seat.

[] Excellent all round visibility.

[] Finger light driver controls.

[] Plastic body panels shrug off the usual car park dings from errant car doors or stray shopping trolleys with almost complete impunity.

[] It's noisy enough that there's at least a 50% lower chance of people just walking out in front of you than anything else I own.

Was far less stressful a trip out than I'd expected it to be. Aside from it taking me a trip to four pharmacies before I found anywhere that had my meds in stock anyway, that always gets the nerves going a bit!

Oh, also fixed this, which had been bugging my OCD something rotten.

I didn't realise the little fuel/mileage tracker gizmo was just sitting on a magnet, so nothing to stop me moving it to sit centrally in the car rather than randomly off towards the passenger side where it was before.