Zel's Fleet Blog...Rover, Renault, Peugeot, Trabant, Invacar & Sinclair C5

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Zelandeth

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog...Citroen, Mercedes, Sinclair & AC Model 70

#1261 Post by Zelandeth » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:12 am

Finally!

That only took us a month and 12 days if my math is right. To sort a brake imbalance issue due to a sticking caliper.

Of course as this has been a farce from square one (through no real fault of the garage by the way), the job had one last laugh to have...want to guess what the weather looked like here when I got the call to say it was ready?

Thunder storm decided that was the perfect moment to arrive - exactly the sort of conditions I wanted for a five or so mile bike ride...so I took the Caddy and thankfully found somewhere nearby to park up until I could get a lift back later in the day to retrieve that rather than getting drowned or struck by lightning.

The passenger door on the Rover I discovered only had one loose bolt in the lower hinge rather than three.

Having properly secured it down there has definitely helped with the alignment.

Still sitting a bit further out at the top edge than it should be, but a lot better than it was. Wind noise is still far worse than the driver's side, but is less deafening than it used to be. So progress in the right direction at least.
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Zelandeth

#1262 Post by Zelandeth » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:30 pm

Had TPA out again today. Took the opportunity to investigate why the handbrake was being a bit sticky. As the pull cable had been well greased and the cable at the drum end was moving perfectly freely my suspicions were pointed at the cantilever mechanism under the floor being sticky or the return spring having failed.

Sure enough, it was quite stiff to move, especially towards the end of its travel.

After dousing the whole contraption in penetrating oil and working it a whole bunch it freed off. I'll need to get the car jacked up so I can give it a proper clean up and lubricate it with something better than WD40, but it has at least proven I was on the right track. I do think the return spring might be a bit tired as well which wouldn't help.

I've also got one of the shock absorbers on the Rover swapped out.

Pretty simple thanks to Rover having actually provided proper access to the top mounting nut.

Basically a ten minute job.

Only slight headache has been the whole upper housing spinning on the nearside one, but I've found the vice grips now at least so can deal with that next time.

The one which came off is utterly knackered. Providing absolutely no damping whatsoever in one direction, but is virtually impossible to move in the other - if I stand on it, it will compress over the course of about a minute. So that won't have been doing anything any favours. It feels based on the old fashioned "bounce test" that there's a lot more movement on this side than the other.

Will hopefully get the other one done tomorrow and will see if that's helped the ride at all.
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Zelandeth

#1263 Post by Zelandeth » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:09 pm

Other damper now done.

How did I get anything done before I bought an impact gun?

Impact spun the nut straight off without having to bother clamping the top part of the shock in place or anything like that.

Again it was a ten minute job.

Just like the other side this one was providing absolutely no damping in one direction but far too much in the other.

This hasn't fixed the issues with the ride being horribly bouncy, but has definitely helped. So the springs are definitely binding up I reckon - really isn't anything else involved which can affect things. The feeling is that things are over-damped, it's like driving a HGV without any cargo on board. The springs themselves could well just be tired as well. I haven't *seen* any cracked leaves, but I've never had the rear jacked up with the wheels off yet. That might be a job for the weekend if time permits. Will get them given a proper painting with some lubrication at least as best I can without taking everything to bits anyway.

Zelandeth

#1264 Post by Zelandeth » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:40 pm

Nothing like being inconspicuous while out and about.

Yesterday evening before the rain arrived I decided to take a look at the springs. Well, one of them, I ran out of dry weather before getting to the second one.

These are some chunky brake drums.

At one point in time these wraps around the springs would have been useful. Sadly that time is long past and they were simply holding in a considerable amount of mud, grit and rust.

So I've scraped all the crud off and given everything a good slathering with engine oil and have left it to soak.

Nothing broken I can see at least. It really does need to come apart to be properly cleaned and greased long term though. If we could get it to something resembling an acceptable state in the meantime though that would be nice!

By the way, yes there is an axle stand just out of shot under the frame.

-- -- --

Ran into an old Toshiba computer gremlin yesterday afternoon that I'd not seen before.

I was typing away when Word Perfect seemingly lost its marbles. A little further investigation showed a keyboard issue. For instance, pressing H results in this.

Which is ctrl+Z followed by H. Turned out to be a few keys affected. Booting up from a floppy disk showed no change so it must be a hardware issue. In we go.

Swapping out the keyboard for a spare didn't change anything sadly. These systems like most of the Toshiba machines don't have a controller on the keyboard itself, the matrix connections are fed straight into the motherboard and decoded on there - on the T1200 this IC here.

I could change that IC alone, but given it only takes about 15 minutes to swap out the logic board and I'd need to take it out to work on it anyway I'm inclined to just swap it for a spare. Not as though I'm short of them. This is a worrying sort of failure though as it's not as far as I can tell due to any external factors, it's just decided that it's lived long enough. Not a huge issue when it's stuff that's fairly readily obtainable like 4116 memory chips in the Apple II, but when custom chips start just randomly dying that's more of a problem. See also the PLA in the C64 for a commonly documented example...

Hopefully this is just a genuinely random failure not the start of a bell curve...I've had very little trouble with these machines up till now beyond the power supply issues and some LCD panels decaying, plus the occasional hard drive that's grumpy as you'd expect about having been forgotten for 20 years.

I was working on the text for the webpage for the T3200 when this started playing up. Probably the second most time consuming part of that was putting this together for the page (which is otherwise mostly done).

I may well go back and tweak it a bit before it appears on the page - the dark blue lines for one I'd like to make brighter as that's a ten second tweak. There's a lot less integration on this than on the last board I did one of these for so there was a lot more shuffling of labels involved.

Zelandeth

#1265 Post by Zelandeth » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:10 pm

Two for the price of one, as I forgot to post yesterday's one.

This gizmo finally turned up a couple of days ago.

Which helpfully enabled me to identify some of the completely unlabelled devices on the T1600 power supply boards.

Helpfully it also allowed me to weed out a few dud components.

So I was able to continue rebuilding this board with known good components on the topside.

You'll never guess the plot twist which came up next...

It still didn't work. So something is still amiss with the board, but on this side.

That's basically where I'm drawing the line on this one for the moment I think. I simply am not set up for surface mount rework, and am not in the mood to drop probably another £2-300 on the necessary equipment to deal with it. Especially as it's mostly equipment I'd only use once in a blue moon. So the next step for this is just going to be reverse engineering things to track down the power pins on the connector to allow us to slot in an alternative power source. Yes we'll lose the advanced power management features, but at this point I just want a working machine.

If someone else out there is properly set up to do troubleshooting at the component level on a board this densely packed, you're more than welcome to have a bash at it. However I'm calling time for my part.

Speaking of technology...eBay and insomnia are a dangerous mix. As we've seen plenty of times over in this thread I think.

Completely forgot I'd ordered this until it turned up today. Oops.

This is a HP 620LX, or what $899 would have bought you in late 1997.

Big brother to the Psion Series 5?

Or what essentially evolved into the netbook, but ten years early?

Bit of both I think. The comparison to the role netbooks filled before they got killed off by tablets definitely feels relevant though. Basic functionality designed to compliment rather than replace a desktop machine, and optimisation really pushed towards the portability side of things.

I've only used Windows CE once before, and I remember it being painfully and very clunky... though with 16Mb of memory and a 75MHz processor it seems snappy enough. Having a decent resolution colour screen helps too.

Should be interesting to have a play around with anyway. Useful in 2023? Not so much I imagine, but interesting nevertheless. Plus it was cheap!

What the heck else have I bought lately and forgotten about...?

-- -- --

With regards to the cars, the Rover is currently in the bad books. Unsurprisingly, the subject of our ire is the carburettor.

The cold start device decided to stick a couple of days ago. And in the mile it took me to notice it managed to drain the remaining 1/8 tank of fuel - at which point I discovered that 1/8 a tank on the gauge equates to "empty."

Thankfully this didn't leave me stranded in a £2/hour parking space as there's a separate reserve fuel pump which got me to the nearest fuel station.

Having poked the sticky linkage and coerced the cold start linkage back into the correct position, we had an idle back at the correct side of 2000rpm. However the car was also idling absolutely pig rich.

I was disinclined to go twiddling adjustments given the car had been running fine up till that point, and I was generally suspicious that we had flushed some gunk into the carb. Especially given there was a *little* crud in the sediment bowl.

However it quickly became evident that something was awry anyway, the slow running control being held in by approximately half a thread, to the point that it pinged out and disappeared over my right shoulder when I touched it. I rather suspect that under normal circumstances the adjustments shouldn't need to be at that extremes for normal running.

Helpfully you can get the lid off the float bowl on these carbs without dismantling too much, so I figured it would be worth taking a look at that to get some idea of how clean (or not) the carb was likely to be.

Hmm...

I get the impression this won't likely be helping anything.

So yes...next step here will be pulling the carb and giving it a thorough clean I think.

Which means I get to undo that cursed carb to manifold nut again. That was *so* much fun last time I had to touch it.

While digging around in that vicinity I did spot one obvious vacuum leak on the brake servo line.

That won't be helping anything.

That's probably disintegrated recently following the failure of the original brake servo a month or so before I got the car, which had resulted in a bunch of brake fluid being drawn into the intake. Easily replaced though - albeit having no impact on our current issue.

So onwards towards a carb strip down, clean and rebuild. I did notice some evidence of a vacuum leak from somewhere in the vicinity of the throttle spindle, so not the worst time to be throwing a new throttle spindle and bushes in anyway. Hopefully should be some insurance against future issues. I wish parts for the carb on the Invacar were half as easy to get hold of...

-- -- --

Hopefully will have the last couple of bits I'd been waiting on for the Renault's head work arriving in the next couple of days (the head bolts for some reason have been stuck in customs for ages). Had a bit of a nose around the engine bay looking for any potential headaches I need to be aware of when I start work on it. Also started to douse the exhaust manifold and downpipe nuts in PlusGas.

Something I'd apparently managed to miss when I'd previously been looking around was a missing hose clamp on the vacuum line running off for the brake servo. The end of the hose was also slightly perished right at the end, so that was trimmed and the hose refitted with a suitable clamp.

You know what? The idle is now smoother. Can only have had a tiny leak there, but I know it really doesn't take much at all to upset things on MAP based systems like these.

Since I got the car the driver's side interior light has been out. I'd put off dealing with that as I was loathe to touch it. The lenses looked suspiciously similar to the plastic used on the interior lights on the early BX and CXs which I know have a tendency to turn to powder if you so much as touch them.

Thankfully the similarity was purely cosmetic and the lens turned out to still be nicely compliant so came off without too much protest and in one piece.

It cleaned up nicely too.

Then back in place.

Looks much better now the lens is actually shiny. Working now too.

I will probably swap these out the lamps in these for (warm white) LEDs just to ensure that the housings don't get any more cooked than they need to. Also helps reduce the odds of flattening the battery if the doors are left open, as from memory there's no way to turn the interior lights off in this car.

A tiny, low priority job but they all add up and I'd not really done anything on it for a good while so wanted to tick something off even if it's really small.

Zelandeth

#1266 Post by Zelandeth » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:23 pm

All righty. Here's a bundle of updates as I fell behind.

A couple of packages arrived at the end of last week.

Carb rebuild kit for the Rover.

Also the last couple of bits I'd been waiting on for the head gasket job on the Renault are now here. The timing belt kit is already in the boot. So I *think* I now have everything I need for that.

It meant this was time to get stuck into cleaning up the Rover's carb. Ten minutes later...

One extracted carb.

My suspicion that the innards were likely to be as grubby as the float bowl was pretty quickly proven to be correct.

That's about a third of what I dug out of there before it was dumped into the ultrasonic cleaner then left it to stew for half an hour.

I also discovered that the diaphragm was shot. I couldn't see any actual cracks all the way through, but it was definitely perished and had basically turned to plastic. Hard to see the perishing in the photo, but it was definitely there.

Beyond this point I was covered in carb cleaner etc so no further photos. However it basically consisted of removing all of the major parts of the carb and then putting it together again. I decided not to disturb the throttle shaft at this point, nor replace the needle/seat. My logic here was simple: That until the cold start control physically stuck and resulted in me likely pulling a load of crud out the bottom of the tank, it was running the engine absolutely fine. Visual examination of the needle showed no visible wear or damage at all. There is a tiny bit of play in the throttle shaft, so long term I will probably change it. Right now however I'm not throwing more variables into the mix. I know with the carb clean, it should go back to being fine. I might go back in and finish the rebuild at a later date - when I'm not in a situation where I have only 2/5 cars working!

A little disappointingly the carb to manifold gasket supplied with the kit from SU isn't correct as it lacks the cutout for the slow running air passage. Luckily I still had one in stock from when I bought the head gasket kit.

With everything back together I set about trying to dial things in. For what felt like forever. I just couldn't get the engine to idle smoothly no matter what I did with the mixture adjustment. It would clear up around 1000rpm or so, but below that would just get really stumbly. Until I took about 10 degrees of timing out. At which point she immediately returned to a more or less smooth idle. Not quite as smooth as it used to be, but I was clearly in the right ball park.

I'm not sure if the distributor had crept out of adjustment (the clamp wasn't massively tight) or what had happened there, as I'd not touched the timing in a long while.

Anyhow, with that set more sensibly I set about trying to find tune things a bit. While working largely by ear, I figured I may as well use the equipment I had to help see what I was doing.

That seemed to be where she was happiest. Not entirely sure that gauge reads accurately with modern fuels, but it was at least a help in terms of making sure I was adjusting things in the direction I thought I was.

Still waiting for the point where connecting things up this way around stops feeling really odd.

I had a helper for a good portion of the tuning process.

Must have been a good 15 or 20 minutes they stuck around.

The wiring on the nearside of the engine bay had shed a fair chunk of the outer cloth loom covering at one point and it was blowing around ridiculously in the airflow from the fan. So I set about tidying that up a bit.

Bit tidier at least.

On a similar note I noticed that the wiring loom down to the generator was rubbing against the brake servo at higher revs due to the airflow from the fan making it flap around at one spot so secured that in place so it no longer moves around.

A test run revealed things to be pretty close to back to normal. The throttle linkage needed a slight tweak as it was hanging up a little. I didn't realise you needed to preload it slightly because of how several springs act against each other.

The only thing I hadn't refitted prior to the test run was the intake silencer. Now I can fully appreciate why Rover fitted it, but equally I kind of wish they hadn't. Without it the car is plenty quiet and refined under most circumstances, but there is a truly gorgeous howl anywhere above about 3/4 throttle at any real revs.

I would like to get a paper element fuel filter installed between the sediment bowl and the carb, just to capture the smaller particles which can (evidently) get through the strainer. Though I'll need to acquire some fittings to do that as it's an armoured nylon line with crimped on fittings, so not just a matter of splicing in a bit of hose as on many cars.

Over the last few days I've been using the car quite a bit and am pleased to report that it seems to be back to its usual self. Don't think the idle is *quite* as smooth as it was, but it's close. I'll read the plugs again once we've got a couple of hundred miles covered.

TPA was out and about for yesterday's errands.

A decision I was quite thankful for given that I got stuck in an absolute stinker of a traffic jam on the way home. Which would have been way more tiresome in any of my other cars.

The only thing I did today was to tame my inner hooligan and refit the intake silencer on the Rover.

Which is of course absolute concrete insurance that I'm going to want to get to something that it's in the way of within the next 48 hours.

I did pick up a distraction a couple of days ago from a neighbour.

This is a 1942 era short wave radio receiver made by National, including the power supply and a full set of tuning coils.

This was otherwise going to be destined for the recycling bin...so suffice to say I wasn't going to turn it down. It looks to be in decent shape at least at first glance

Will obviously need all the wax paper caps like this one replaced though.

I'm expecting this to be relatively simple though, these were pretty well made units so new set of caps and it will likely wake back up as though it was put away yesterday. Should be interesting anyway.

-- -- --

There are three things which need doing (that I know of!) in the immediate future for the Renault. The head gasket is an obvious enough one and assuming that no absolute horrors are found when the head is removed should be relatively straightforward. Just keeping my fingers crossed the head hasn't gone porous or anything maddening like that. Second is a bit of welding in two spots. One is to repair some rust around an area that was damaged clearly some time ago by improper jacking, and some more on the inner wings where the seam sealer has clearly failed and trapped water. I think I've managed to find someone to do that now. Third is something which has been on the to do list since day one, and that's that it still needs a set of drop links. I'm still as unable to track down a set as I have been since day one. The issue here is that there are three different types which were used on the 25. One on the V6 (which is readily available) and some sources say the automatic, one for the lower power version of the 2.0 engine (which I have found one or two of in Germany), and one for this variant. Which appears to be completely extinct. The part I need is 7700766869. Which most websites tell you is compatible with 7700781498 - the V6 version. They're not...they're completely different. The latter part is a good 20mm longer and has the two ends pointing in totally different directions to the correct part. It doesn't help that when you try to search for part numbers for anything on Google etc now about the first 300 results are just repeats of Autodoc trading under about a thousand different names - which gets really old after about the first ten times you've clicked on results to find the same page saying no stock with a slightly different header at the top of the page. Alternatives are RTS 97-90477 or Imperium 31561. Searching for the latter of those is further frustrated as that's a valid Febi part number for something completely different so that saturates the search results. I'm sure there were probably a dozen other smaller companies who made third party parts that were compatible back in the 90s, and equally I'm sure someone somewhere still has a bunch of them sitting on a shelf somewhere. I've been digging on and off since December last year for them though without any luck. It's such a stupid, simple consumable to have turned into such a long term headache.

This is the thing I'm after.
screenshot.jpg
So the solution is most likely going to involve having to try to extract the existing bushes sufficiently intact to ascertain their correct dimensions and then obtaining new ones from here and re-stuffing the existing links. I'm just extremely thankful that they're bushed on both ends rather than having a ball joint on one or both ends as with a lot of cars as if that were the case I'd probably be well out of luck short of trying to put something together using rose joints and adjustable linkages from a racing supplier most likely.

-- -- --

Back to the technolgical necromancy.

After having rebuilt yet another iteration of the T1600 power supply only to have it explode more violently than any I've come across before, I've run out of patience with that approach. Without a schematic, even a block diagram or a working example to compare to I've not a hope in hell of getting one of these things working.

So this happened to one of the parts boards.

This has now been relegated to a cable termination platform and something to which I will secure the replacement power supply to (assuming it will fit, otherwise it will go in the expansion slot). Helpfully it also has most of the doubled up pins tied together right at the connector which saves me some hassle. With all of the components removed (I suspect I'll be finding SMD resistors around my desk for months) it's basically just an inert slab of board now.

A not insignificant amount of peering at the manual and very awkward pin tracing occupied a fair chunk of my afternoon.

I've said it before and I will again. The whole flex-PCB backplane the T1600 is built around is really good for keeping to overall volume of the system down, but it really does make working on the thing awkward.

The manual helpfully gives a nice detailed pinout of every connector in the system. Except for the one on the power supply board! Thanks guys.

We need the following.

+5V. Which basically the whole actual computer runs on, unsurprisingly given the era it's from.

+12V. Used for the display backlight and hard drive motor.

Ground. Obviously.

+9V. Only used by the modem, which isn't fitted. So we're ignoring that.

-22V. Bias voltage for the display panel.

That one has proven slightly tricky to trace. The manual clearly shows it as being on pin 14 of the display connector.

However there's no continuity from there through to any of the pins on the power supply. I suspect this may well end up needing some more time spent on it and possibly a dedicated line routed for it.

The absence of that rail though shouldn't stop the rest of the system from working...so time for some really messy prototyping to happen.

This mess is obviously only for testing to see if the idea works. The end result will be rather less messy and more robust.

Given the history with this machine I was kind of expecting smoke despite having been careful to ensure things were going where they should be.

No smoke. No fireworks. No actual display as expected, but the backlight is working and responding correctly to the brightness control. Even better, we get a POST beep, and the system is responding to the keyboard. However I obviously can't see what I'm doing.

Next step will obviously be to try to figure out something for the -22V rail or to have a dig around to see if I can find a CGA to VGA adapter in the giant box of cables.

I'm curious to see if hooking up -12V to the -22V rail would get us any sort of display at least for testing.

Longer term, I do have one of those little Pico ATX supplies floating around somewhere, which may well actually work well for most of what we need.

Still work to be done, but it feels like we're a lot closer to a working system than we were yesterday.

-- -- --

Toshiba are now on My List for crimes against service technicians.

Those tables of connector pinouts, the sneaky sods haven't used consistent labelling! On the display I/O connector the -22V pin is labelled "M22V(-22V)."

That label however it turns out is suspiciously absent from anywhere else. Hence my wondering for a while if the voltage might actually be generated on the motherboard somewhere - with it being such a low power (0.22W) rail that wouldn't necessarily have been unreasonable - but I couldn't see anything which looked like a likely candidate, and the display obviously wasn't working.

It turns out that on the 100-pin connector to the "backplane" there is one pin however which is labelled "LCDV" which piqued my curiosity. Helpfully again, no further mention of that anywhere else in the manual.

Time to add another wire to my prototype. Which I also added a bit of hot glue to stabilise things having already pulled one wire off already.

Then followed a bit of experimentation. I don't have an easy way to generate -22V right now, but I did have a -12V rail from the ATX supply I'm currently hooked up to on hand. Figured it would maybe do something different (with a resistor in series initially to hopefully reduce the odds of me potentially blowing anything up) to give us some idea of whether I was on the right track.

It looks like we are! See that white border around the display? That's a clear sign of the panel is actually starting to try to work now. Essentially it's still an overloaded "white" screen as we've only got half the intended bias voltage, but it's a pretty clear sign I'm on the right track I think.

This is the power supply connector pin out as far as I'm currently aware. Which is the one table missing in the manual.

Key to acronyms:

ELV - Display EL Backlight supply.
RAMV - Memory board power supply.
LCDV - LCD Panel bias voltage.
VCC - Main motherboard 5V supply.
HDLV - Hard drive low voltage supply.
HDHV - Hard drive high voltage supply.
HDMV - Hard drive spindle motor supply.
GND - Ground, as I'm sure you figured out.
P12V - Expansion card slot 12V supply.

The currently greyed out pins are what appear to be data lines. Reverse engineering what those are up to is way, way, way, waaaaaay beyond my ken. As such they are essentially being ignored for now. There is a definite element of crossing my fingers that those lines are only used for communication regarding power management and then potentially being floating (I've no idea if the termination would be at the motherboard or PSU end) isn't potentially going to cause other issues - but at this stage I'm crossing my fingers. If we wind up having to add a bunch of pull up/down resistors later so be it.

-- -- --

Had a dig around this afternoon and found the little Pico ATX supply I was thinking of.

If it works as hoped I'll figure out a way to directly secure this to the underside of the original supply PCB. The idea here is to keep everything I'm modifying attached to that PCB, so if I ever come across a proper original board again it can just be plugged in.

Having a bit of a ponder about the -22V rail, I was thinking about buying in a little DC-DC converter for the job, but given it's such a low current application I might actually see if I can cobble together a simple voltage doubler circuit to do the job. Seems worth a try. All I need is a 555, handful of caps and a few diodes if I remember the designs I learned back at college right...big if!

The Rover got a small tweak made to the windscreen wipers yesterday to address the issue with the driver's side wiper hitting the top of the screen surround. This was a very high tech solution.

Yes, I just attacked the end of the blade with a pair of scissors. Problem solved.

This has improved the performance of the wipers from "it's actually worse with them turned on than off" to "pretty poor."

Turns out that the spring in the arm isn't applying enough pressure to keep the whole blade in contact with the screen. However I've noted that there's a lot of play in the bush where the spindle comes through the scuttle, so that needs to be investigated - when it's not actively raining.

I noted today that there is one visible point of water ingress while driving in the rain.

Not really surprising given that you can see daylight through gaps in the seal between the centre and left hand glass panel up towards the top. Sure a couple of blobs of sealant can sort that.

-- -- --

Finally got around to actually extracting these today.

Fun fact: Things held in place by snap rings come apart a lot easier once you've found and removed said snap ring.

I definitely didn't spend about half an hour staring at this thing and trying to figure out how on earth it came apart.

Also don't punch anti-roll bars. They're harder than your knuckles.

I've been given a tip off that the links used on VW T4 Transporters are very similar. They're a centimetre or two shorter, but I don't think that's likely to be a huge issue - provided they match both sides I don't imagine a little extra pre-load on the ARB being a huge issue.

More importantly the diameters of the bushed parts look to be right - top one accepts an M10 bolt (identical), and the lower bush inner diameter is 23mm.

Hard to see in the photo, but that looks like it's a match.

The inner portion of that bush is actually fine - however it's a very loose fit in the body of the link, which ties in with where I was seeing movement with it on the car. The rubber of the lower bush looks distinctly newer than the top one, so I do wonder if someone in the past has attempted to replace the bush but picked one with slightly too small an outer diameter.

They're really cheap so I'll grab a pair and see if they fit. Watch this space.

Edit:

Also ticked off a to do list item on TPA which has been pending for uuh...about four years today.

Replaced the missing valve cap on the front wheel. Riveting stuff, I know!

-- -- --

Which I believe brings us up to date.

arceye

#1267 Post by arceye » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:24 am

Well you are keeping busy and having fun for sure :D I'm liking these updates.

Dick

#1268 Post by Dick » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:26 pm

Me too :thumbs:

Zelandeth

#1269 Post by Zelandeth » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:44 pm

I need to take some actual temperature readings on the Rover I think following a high speed run. Yes it's been moderately warm here this afternoon, but it's not exactly roasting. However the car felt it necessary to do this about 30 seconds after the engine was switched off after a run out today.

Yes, I always let it idle for a bit first rather than just pulling into the drive an immediately turning it off.

The odd little dribble from the overflow I can deal with, but this was a bit ridiculous. I've also now added a small hose to the end of the overflow as the water from it before was running down the inside of the front valance and making a bloody mess.

Temperature was sitting where it normally does around town, about a needle's width above the bottom of the white section on the gauge - this is as far as it crept up to after stopping the engine. So hardly roasty toasty according to the gauge.

I think I'd like to confirm that the gauge is reading accurately.

I'll need to wait for the engine to have cooled further before I can really check the coolant level, but I've not topped it up since last time it decided to burp coolant out (checking after that showed the level to be about an inch or so above the top of the core). This was rather more than a burp though so I imagine it must have impacted the level a bit. I have never seen it vent when the engine is running though, it's always after stopping when there's the inevitable temperature spike then due to the circulation stopping plus heat soak etc.

Oh...Apparently I'm working towards buying something else again too. Oops. This is a bit more sensible than my usual nonsense though!

Dick

#1270 Post by Dick » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:00 pm

Sensible... you've bought a breakdown truck? :?: :lol: