Zel's Fleet Blog...Rover, Renault, Peugeot, Trabant, Invacar & Sinclair C5

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Zelandeth

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog...Lada, Citroen, Mercedes, Sinclair & AC Model 70

#291 Post by Zelandeth » Fri May 31, 2019 9:38 pm

Hey, look what *finally* turned up in the post this morning...

Was ordered on the third of May, from a seller which made a very loud point all over their webpage about how they were UK based...however failed to make any mention until after you had made the order that parts were shipped from "their partner warehouse" - in China. Go figure. However it was essentially free, and the part itself actually looks reasonable where it counts. The threads are all nice and clean and the bore looks to be nicely machined (yes, first thing I did was take it apart before I considered trusting it to be the source of my stopping power), and there's no swarf in evidence as often seems to be the case with stuff like this. Was quite surprised to be honest...I was honestly expecting a lot worse.

Swapped over the pushrod from the original one from the car and then got it installed.

The dust is from later in the day, obviously kept things as clean as possible while the hydraulic work was underway.

Bleeding the system was simple enough, and immediately after the bleed nipples were closed it was obvious we had pretty much resolved the issue. Full brake travel is now a couple of inches...rather than two to four inches of dead travel before anything starts happening. Much better. A quick test run later on revealed that we indeed now have plenty of brakes. Reckon there is a little adjustment still to be done as if you really stand on the brakes she does pull slightly to the left, not apparent in normal driving though.

Figured it was time to have a quick experiment with my foam based wing corner rebuild.

This was after literally five minutes with the grinder to pull the excess material off.

Yes...this is definitely heading down the right road I think...with a bit of work I reckon I should be able to get this pretty close to an invisible repair.

While I had the car outside I figured it was worth having a proper look at the paintwork on the door I'd done in actual daylight.

Given that's the finish straight out the rattle can I'm pretty happy with that. Bit of action with the cutting paste should get us a nice shine there I think.

Hoping I should have the chance to get a better run out tomorrow. Reckon having brakes where the bite point is actually in the same place every time you go to use them should make the driving experience less stressful!

We should be heading out to a show on Sunday, so will probably try to get a little more tidying done tomorrow.
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Zelandeth

#292 Post by Zelandeth » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:34 am

Had hoped to get a couple of things done this afternoon in preparation for a show over in Stoney Stratford tomorrow. However I wound up not getting five minutes of spare time today...so she'll just have to deal with turning up with mismatched wheels and one corner still being unfinished and in primer... 

My reservation says I should be in the Market Square area, so come say hi if you're there.
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Zelandeth

#293 Post by Zelandeth » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:41 am

Had a nice run out to the Stony Stratford Classic Car Show today. TPA both behaved impeccably to and from the show which is always nice to see. The strange way that three wheelers sort of undulate over some road surfaces really does take some getting used to. It's not uncomfortable in any way, is just utterly unlike anything any four wheeler motor will do.

Well not much for it I reckon other than to dump a load of photos from today on you. Straight from my phone, aside from a bit of cropping in a few cases no real editing done.

Ah, breakfast!

This sounded absolutely awesome...

Why on earth did I sell my one?!?

What on earth? A Civic that's not been modernised beyond all recognition...That's quite something these days!

This Austin Six sounded (and smelled) just as good as it looks.

Figures that I wound up parked with the side I'd been doing paintwork on hidden from view!

Clearcoat peel to rival my Xantia's on this...Nevertheless I imagine that this would still be an absolutely lovely, comfy car to waft around in.

Always used to walk straight past these old Bonds...Yet in recent years I've started to really notice what nice looking cars they actually are.

The interior of this MR2 was equally as blue as the exterior.

Still really, really miss my Cappuccino. M157YBK you are still sorely missed. Even though I had to admit that I was out of my depth when I realised that the fuel lines were the only thing holding the driver's seat in due to rust in the floor pan. I was so out of my depth that I had no real choice but to sell it onto someone else - who did at least restore it. I'd have another one in a heartbeat.

BX Goodness...Seriously is a timeless design I think. Only 81K on the clock this one, so barely run in.

This show really does take over the entire town centre...I could have walked around all day and still be finding cars.

I really need to spend some more time around one of these. Spent plenty of time driving most of their competitors from the time, but have only ever driven a couple of 205s for a few minutes each. They never used to stick around long enough at the garage for me to see much of them.

Never realised until quite recently that the rear quarterlight windows on these are plastic.

Ah...The Marcos Mantula...The automotive equivilant of a bad acid trip...and one of the very few cars which can out-mad a TVR.

I love it and really want one. There's just no angle from which it doesn't look utterly bonkers. Personally not so sure about those wheels though.

Spent quite a while playing the "spot which bits I recognise from the van" when walking around this.

Shame I didn't spot that this was parked next to a newer Cavelier until too late, or I would have made a point of getting a photo of the two together.

This is probably the car I'd have taken home with me if given a choice out of anything there though. It's just gorgeous.

Nice to see a 106 there.

Really am developing a huge amount of want for a Nova these days - especially one that's as stock as this. Surprised to see a four-speed box on a car as late as this though!

Unusually for me, I actually did remember to get a couple of photos of my own car there. Forgetting to do this is something of a tradition on my part!

That's it. Didn't get a photo of everything there by a long shot, but hopefully got most of the major highlights!

Definitely need to get an FAQ board written up for next time I have the Invacar at a show as I defintiely lost track of how many times I'd given the potted history of the Invalid Carriage, and had to explain the differences between the earlier Villiers engined cars to the Model 70 by the end of the day!

Next event on my calendar is the Luton Festival of Transport next weekend - though I'll be taking the van along to that rather than the Invacar.

Zelandeth

#294 Post by Zelandeth » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:59 am

Was out and about today so only had five minutes for car stuff. Also feeling quite frazzled following some issues with my getting an abusive phone call at 2am in the morning from a former school bully I thought I'd seen the back of 15 years ago.

One occasional gremlin I've found in the van is a rattle and whistle from the nearside lower corner of the windscreen. No idea what could be causing th...oh...yeah, that would do it.

Looking closer, the trim strip which covers the join between the cab and the coachbuilt body is also sitting about an inch off the body.

That won't have helped the whistling either.

I had tried to stick the bottom of the rubber windscreen pillar trim down before with sticky pads, however it obviously hasn't worked. The windscreen trims are very important to the look of the T1 van, so it's important they're properly fitted and not all wibbly-wobbly. They take quite an aerodynamic battering too so need to be firmly attached.

No sticky pads this time. Cleaned up the area beneath it and stuck the trim down with a liberal dose of Sikaflex...it ain't coming off again. 

Note to self...replace that broken aerial already!

Also refitted the trim above the door...this is a bit ugly just now, but I've got a cleaner which seems to shift the residue left by this pretty effectively so I'll tidy it up shortly. Was going fine until I got some on one of my hands which I'd not noticed, so wound up with fingerprints all over the shop. This strip is also now firmly screwed to the cab now...it had pulled all the original skinny screws out, so chunkier ones are now in there - though the bond with that sealant should be strong enough that they'll be irrelevant once it's cured fully anyhow.

Having a closer look at the offside one revealed it too coming away at the base, albeit not as badly...so it got the same treatment.

I need to do the same to the trim strip above the door on this side as well, though I'll need to move the van and do that tomorrow as there's currently a hedge in the way.

Be curious to see if it's made a noticeable difference to the wind noise - which isn't actually had for a van to be honest anyhow. 

Question to the greater all-knowing hive mind that is this forum...most of the panel joints have a putty like substance under them. Well, save for those which have been refitted with bathroom sealant anyway. I don't have much of this in stock, and it definitely seems to have a maximum lifespan on the vehicle. Quite a few of these strips need to come off so I can renew it, that's generally how water finds its way into coachbuilt vans. Is there any reasons I shouldn't use (obviously white to reduce the potential for making so much mess) Sikaflex/Tigerseal instead? Yes it's a bit more expensive, but in my experience it's very, very good at what it does and doesn't really "wear out" when exposed to the elements. Sure it could make getting panels apart trickier...but realistically doing everything I can with modern sealants to keep water (and therefore rot) out should make sure I don't need to do that!

So...do I use the "correct" joint mastic or do I go with my instinct and use Sikaflex. Or is that overkill? I usually like overkill, especially where weather proofing is concerned.

I really need to get a good video of the exhaust note on this thing...It is utterly ridiculous and makes me grin like a five year old. Well driving the van (heck...even sitting in it) makes me grin like a five year old too...but now it goes BrrrrrraaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAM every time my foot goes anywhere beyond 10% throttle.

I'm mature and sensible me...No, really! 

Oh...you know me better than that do you...okay fine then! 

Zelandeth

#295 Post by Zelandeth » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:20 pm

Today I went outside planning to do something in the garden...instead got sidetracked fiddling with the van. 

It became apparent that water had been getting in overnight, once again through the hole left by one of the high level tail lights. So basically lost patience with the sticking plasters I'd been using...time to sort it properly. No idea why they were removed in the first place, but step one was to put them back in place and properly seal them to the back of the van.

Oh...then remembered I hadn't finished refitting the trim strip over the cab on the offside so went back and did that. Doesn't look any different really aside from having a new infill strip visible. 

One at the front will be next...that has a rubber seal strip under it which is unevenly sticking out in a few places. That will involve removing (and replacing) about a million screws though, so requires more patience than I could summon today. Will tidy up the face of the van though. 

With the lights in place, time to get wiring. No excuse for wiring these clusters untidily, there's a cable guide and everything. 

Routing the wiring from the tail lights up to these clusters was tedious but not in any way difficult. Worked first time. 

These suckers are really bright actually, thanks to the position the brake and indicators are pretty much focused at any following drivers...so no excuse to say they couldn't see me! Brake lights I may well upgrade with the brightest LED lamps I can find at some point. 

Currently it's running standard 21W lamps in the indicators and brake lights, with 10W ones for the running lights. 

Half an hour or so later... 

There's not actually a brightness difference across the sides, it's just an effect of the viewing angle and the optics in the lenses.

Here's just the running lights on. The wire dangling under the back has since been tidied up.

I have decided to just fit a little bit of conduit in the bathroom to conceal the wiring from view in there for now...I can't face dismantling the wall right now. 

Half pondering fitting a small shelf level with the change between the flat and angled section of the wall too, which could hide the conduit too...dunno. That's something to come back to.

Anyhow...we now have a completely functional lighting system - including all the add on bits AutoTrail put on. This pleases my OCD, which always twitched every time I saw the marks left by the formerly missing tail lights.

Have decided after speaking to a few people that Sikaflex will be the the route for seal-strip sealing. Yes, it will make any future disassembly an absolute pain in the tail - but the main reason to ever take stuff to bits is because of failed mastic joints...water ingress should be far, far less likely to be an issue with that sort of materials. It's good enough for holding windscreens in after all...

Currently undecided if I'm going to the show down in Luton tomorrow. I'd really like to go, and it would be interesting to see how good a conversation starter the van it. On the other hand, I'm definitely coming down with something and feel rotten...so not sure at the moment. 

Zelandeth

#296 Post by Zelandeth » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:22 am

Sunday saw me - despite feeling like death - heading down to the Luton Festival of Transport with the van.

This was definitely the biggest show I've been to so far. Don't reckon I saw a quarter of what was actually there...didn't take a massive number of photos, trying not to spend the whole day looking through a viewfinder.

Here's what I did snap though (in no particular order).

Love this colour.

I spy warning lights from an early 80s DAF coach.

All just straight as they came off the phone, so apologies if the lighting is a bit off... though the camera on this thing still never ceases to astonish me. Never bother with a separate one these days unless I'm specifically going for artsy stuff where I'm deliberately using film.

On the subject of film, was given another SLR by a friend today. My Konica AutoReflex T-3 has now been joined by an Olympus OM10.

Not quite as versatile, but it's a good bit smaller (and about half the weight it feels like!) than the Konica...so reckon it may see a little more use at events like this where the weight of the Konica would have become tiresome after a while. Here they are side by side.

Looking forward to having a proper play around with this and getting some film through it.

I have to admit to finding the way the makers of the flash have used the light from the flash ready indicator to backlight the exposure compensation dial. This just looks fantastic to me.

Have wanted a flash with some degree of control built in for a while now so that was of nearly as much interest as the camera...though they're a thing I'm exceptionally poor at saying no to anyway, never mind a nice one like this.

gazza82

#297 Post by gazza82 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 am

The Cresta is something else .. ex-hearse maybe?

I've got an old Canon AV1 SLR .. used it a couple of years ago on a trip down-under. Worked well although it's a pain when you can only take 20 or 30 shots before having to swap out the film and have no idea how they came out until after a relatively expensive trip to the photo shop! I had mine copied directly to a CD and any prints where taken using snapfish. Pretty sure that there are a couple of very old point-and-click cameras lurking in the loft.

I had a smallish Kodak digital camera, but was starting to out-grow it plus the zoom was poor compared to my old SLR. So invested last year in a Canon 4000D ... I can take over 2000 shots with that one before swapping out the SD card .. and delete the duff ones too ;)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

JPB

#298 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:11 am

I used to have an OM10, two in fact since the first was changed under warranty after two unsuccessful attempts to fix the troublesome sensor board, by the dealer, failed. I still have some box cameras and my late Dad's Halina 35mm device, but like most of us these days, it'll be the blower that does the photo taking 99% of the time. :|

I wondered whether the GS might have been a Bi Rotor Wankel one but a swift check at the DVLO site showed it to be a 1222cc engine, so that would make it a (slightly :lol: ) more conventional flat four engined one, with pistons. I still would though. I love thae things. :drool: :drool: :drool:
And just as I thought that the selection of images from Luton couldn't get any better: FSO Polonez. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Shame that our man in France is no longer with us, he (Rich) would have drooled at the sight of most of the vehicles, not least of all that tidy K10 Micra, so I drooled enough for two. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Zelandeth

#299 Post by Zelandeth » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:03 am

I'm really looking forward to using the Olympus.

One of my favourite cameras here is also the simplest...an old Halina 110...Fixed exposure time, fixed focus, fixed aperture...but I've taken some fantastic shots with it. Spent a long while mothballed until Lomography started producing (albeit expensive) film for it again.

I really should do a photo of all my functional cameras sometime...

The one which gets the most baffled looks from folks though? Which I actually really enjoy using too is an old Sony Mavica FD-85...Yep, floppy disc digital camera. Got a bunch of digital cameras from through the years, but while I keep them for curiousity's same, it's only the Mavica that really gets used - and a ruggedised, waterproof Kodak - though that's mainly because it's waterproof that it was used. Though that's less important now given that this phone - in addition to having a fantastic camera (I shoot in the lowest resolution...10MP, it defaults to 40MP out the box) is also waterproof.

The GS looked fantastic I thought...just a shame it has the conventional dash rather than something that looks like it should have come out of a spaceship...

JPB

#300 Post by JPB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 am

gazza82 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 am
The Cresta is something else .. ex-hearse maybe?
It's one of the ones converted from a saloon into that rather oddly styled estate when new by Friary, though I think that it would have been difficult to create an estate out of such a bubble shaped roof as the Cresta's so well done to Friary for finding a way that wasn't irretrievably ugly :lol: . If you have a spare £16k+, then THIS ONE :drool: :drool: could be yours. I've seen only one of this rare thing in as many years as I've been stalking classic cars, it was a proper badger's backside. :(
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: