Zel's Fleet Blog...Rover, Renault, Peugeot, Trabant, Invacar & Sinclair C5

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog...Lada, Citroen, Mercedes, Sinclair & AC Model 70

#261 Post by JPB » Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 am

The issues you've had with that garage are truly appalling. I'd be writing a stiff missive to DVSA by now and letting them know just what can go on in the place. :evil:
The AC sounds fantastic in the clip, the CVT is clearly working well. Even though the current crop of CVTs are ever more durable than the earliest of the "CVT in a box" types such as that brave attempt found in the Panda Selecta and Fiesta MK2, the fact remains that the expanding & contracting pulleys with belts, as found in so many Dafs, small Volvos, Microcar, Ligier and Aixam products and of course your AC, is one of the most efficient types of CVT out there. My old Volvo 345 was capable of out accelerating a great many performance oriented cars down motorway slip roads and up to the point where the more powerful machinery simply left it standing, as the pulleys required to allow it any further increase in gearing to keep the engine in the power band would have had to be the size of bin lids, but the idea was, like all of the finest inventions, so simple and suffered none of the faults that were known to affect the ferrofluid clutch types of CVT from the earliest of the more modern units. My 345 was noisy, since its belts were aftermarket heavy duty, steel reinforced ones and not the very much quieter Kevlar, but that whining was reassuring in its way! The steel reinforced belts did a great job of keeping the pulleys' contact faces smooth and clean and with a good mate who knows these older, Van Doorne style CVTs inside and out, I'd have another in a heartbeat, preferably a DAF 44 whose twin belts meant that the only gears in the whole transmission were those that made reverse work, no differential was required since the pulleys did their thing in corners and as neither side could be completely static when the car was moving, these not only had a clever CVT, but also the world's most durable limited slip diff.

I wonder whether any parts from a MIcro car's CVT could be adapted to keep an Invacar on the road? MIcros of the various brands were horribly unreliable in many fundamental ways, yet that CVT seems to survive in most cases.

I'm having another look at the video clip, that engine has a great sound, it clearly has plenty of grunt left to give as you're being very kind to it in your driving style yet the car gets along just fine. Darn it, you're making me want one even more.. Again!
:drool:

Hoping that your trip in the van goes well, it's looking lovely inside now, the shower room being especially pleasant as a result of the hard work you did in there. I could give up bricks & mortar for a van of that quality, but then I have spent time living in an old Thames Trader horsebox in the past :oops: and survived that so anything as plush as that Benz cannot fail to look like home to me.
Take it easy and above all else; enjoy the experience.

:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Zelandeth

#262 Post by Zelandeth » Fri May 03, 2019 7:23 pm

We have made it here in one piece.

Can categorically say having now had 150 miles to test the theory that the new exhaust has vastly improved the ability to make progress on the motorway. Even if it does leave us with a soundtrack which isn't dissimilar to a WWI era aircraft at times... Mercifully it's actually not that loud once you're up to speed or that could have become wearing rapidly. At 60 though it's totally drowned out by the rest of the mechanical racket and wind noise.

Given we're at a camping event I'm not hugely surprised that I don't have the oldest vehicle here. What did surprise me though is that it's not a VW that is (no classic ones here at all actually).

When did you last see one of those?!?

On the same topic...bonus classic Toyota spotted when we stopped for lunch too.

To say it will be a quiet weekend will be overstating the fact given we're sharing the camp site with something like 200 huskies...there is much howling going on outside!
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Zelandeth

#263 Post by Zelandeth » Sat May 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Have a snap of two from earlier today when we've had (sporadic) actual sunshine.

This however is a devious trick...yes it's sunny but that image does nothing to convey the bitterly cold 40mph wind, and it keeps dumping short but heavy rain showers on us. So a not insignificant amount of hiding inside is going on. 

Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

JPB

#264 Post by JPB » Sun May 05, 2019 2:03 am

I can think of worse places in which to shelter than that comfy interior. I do like the look of the canine member of the van's crew, a most handsome looking beast you have there.
:thumbs:

Is "Sofawolf" the brand name of the harness, or is that an amusingly appropriate name for the lovely dog? :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Zelandeth

#265 Post by Zelandeth » Sun May 05, 2019 11:01 am

Bit of both. Julius K9 is the brand, but they have a whole load of stickers with things like that available as accessories with various amusing nicknames etc that you can attach to your dog's harness.

He handles being in the van surprisingly well - though the first hour or so of the trip is always...rather loud. He's 50% husky - and that 50% feels the need to shout loudly about how excited he is. This excitement usually reappears every time we stop moving too...but he was a lot better this time than last time we were away.

Zelandeth

#266 Post by Zelandeth » Sun May 05, 2019 8:36 pm

We decided to head back home today as the event just wasn't really panning out how we had hoped.  Nothing dire, but they just really hadn't done a good job of making it possible for folks who didn't already know someone there actually get involved. It wasn't *bad* just could have been better - likewise the general information provision was just lacking. We only found the skip for general rubbish after twenty minutes of blindly wandering the site and the fresh water tap by asking a fellow camper. Never did find where to dump the contents of the grey water tank so that was just left in there to be dealt with at home. Also totally forgot to dump the contents of the fresh water tank purely because I'm stupid, so that was an additional 40kgs of ballast dragged home unnecessarily!

I fuelled up just a couple of miles into the return trip, showing a 26.9mpg figure for the outward leg. Not bad for a van this size, especially as I've not been actively doing anything to try to improve economy while driving. 

Arrived home 117 miles later with this much left. 

Reckon that's probably sticking around the expected MPG. Will probably fill up tomorrow so I can track performance over the trip. Glad to report that the van has not missed a beat the whole time. 

Given all of our stuff was still in there and we've been enjoying making use of it we've decided to throw the dog back at the rest of the household, have rearranged cars, levelled the van off so the fridge works, and will complete our weekend's camping - in our own driveway.

Think we can consider this a successful field test overall.

Zelandeth

#267 Post by Zelandeth » Tue May 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Couldn't resist getting the Invacar out for another run today. Previous to this the furthest I got in one day was 9 miles (having aimed for ten but miscounted).

That's 17 miles today in one afternoon. Doesn't sound like much, but it's progress and is a step towards actually going somewhere beyond this corner of Milton Keynes. Most importantly today that was seventeen miles WITHOUT anything misbehaving or falling off. That is why it's progress. 

Because it seems to have become a thing now what I take photos everywhere she goes, did the same today.

B&Q was the first stop (looking for some sticky back plastic to tidy up some of the cabinet facing in the van).

This was the first time that I had a proper crowd of people turn up while I was in the store who wanted to know what it was and the story behind it was. One of the folks there did remember them who was very surprised at the complexity of the car beneath the very 50s looking bodywork. 

As they didn't have what I needed, wound up at Homebase (who did have it once I'd walked round the whole store five times looking for it). Bonus Lotus in the car park. 

Next stop was Morrison's - though the photo from there for reasons best known to the gods of tech has vanished into the void. So you will just have to trust me.

The difference in the drive system is night and day compared to before I started cleaning the pulleys up, she is now quite happy to cruise at 50mph. 60 is definitely on the cards but she's obviously more comfortable at 50. I do have a video of this (with a better camera than the last one), however so far it's being stubborn - once I kick YouTube into behaving I'll get it added here. 

It is noticeable that the judder when pulling off has become more noticeable today, though it wouldn't surprise me if the belt tension needed a tweak now she's done a few miles.

I may well get the secondary pulley back off tomorrow and finish cleaning it - I'm hoping the drill will be able to spin it fast enough to get the pulley sheaves to open up as that will make it a lot easier. We'll see I guess...

One thing which is really obvious now looking far better is the state of the PCV system. There was a lot of mayo in the oil filler originally, but after the run out today that's looking *far* better. 

That's more like it.

Edit: After a brief argument with both Google Photos *and* YouTube I finally managed to get today's video online. YouTube Link

Zelandeth

#268 Post by Zelandeth » Wed May 08, 2019 9:25 pm

Apparently teaching the dog the command "through" to walk through a tunnel was a bad idea. He has now realised that he can squeeze under things we he previously saw as impenetrable barriers.

Hence this greeting me when I got home from taking him out for a run round our local dog park earlier.

Apparently I'm going to need to add some additional bars...

The question of "which sticks better?" between duct tape and self adhesive aluminium foil tape has been answered. The original patch I stuck on the air intake resonator on the van was duct tape, it was blown off in a matter of minutes. The ally foil tape repair is still there and still quiet 240 miles later. It's hard to believe how much quieter fixing this 1/2" or so diameter hole makes life in the cab! 

It will do for now, at least until I find a replacement air box.

Speaking of tidying stuff up...anyone got one of these light switches (or even just the knob) floating around? While this one works fine it looks like somebody has used the knob as a chew toy and it really bugs me. 

So far the dealer and eBay have turned up blank. The latter though doesn't mean much given that pretty much the entire search result list is "promoted" content which appear to have absolutely nothing to do with my search string... 

Have pulled the secondary pulley back off TPA ready for proper cleaning before being met with a slight impass because I'm stupid.

It's clear from the deposition of belt material on the service hatch that it's the secondary pulley that is responsible for shredding it exactly as I expected.

What I had failed to take into account is that the bolt screws into a shaft which passes most of the way through the pulley...not straight into something level with the back. So I need to get some threaded rod to make what will essentially be a really long bolt to attach the pulley to my drill which will be essentially taking the place of a lathe. Will get that done tomorrow and hopefully get everything back together for another test.

Felt like a right idiot when I realised the bolt was a good couple of inches too short to just bolt it onto the drill!

JPB

#269 Post by JPB » Thu May 09, 2019 1:49 am

Hmm, I'd be buying a dog resistant seat cover and one of those doggy seat belts that are available these days.. :mrgreen:

And on the subject these switches, could this slightly more modern one, intended for a 2012 van, perhaps be used as a suitable alternative to the original: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-MERCEDE ... Sw7ttc0hcD

OK, so it isn't identical and you've probably already dismissed it as not quite right for the job, but I'm just writing what I'm thinking, on the off chance that it may do the job.
:)
J

Zelandeth

#270 Post by Zelandeth » Thu May 09, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm pretty sure the modern ones have a different fitting and are smaller. I'm absolutely sure there will be zillions of them sitting in a stockroom somewhere and I've just got to figure out how to track them down. Being honest it will probably be next time I have the dash top off so I can pull the switch out and find the part number. The issue we had at the dealer was that they simply couldn't find the switch on the system. Not that it was shown as unavailable, but that we couldn't find it at all...and we checked every category there is in there in case it was hidden somewhere odd.

As for doggy seatbelts, we have tried on of the harness types and he *really* hated it. The result of that of course being us blinking for three milliseconds and him shredding it. Few things are actually durable enough to stand up to a determined husky. So we usually go with barriering off the back of the van, he usually stays laying down after the first few minutes anyway. Obviously it's difficult to cover the whole opening at the back of the cab given the size of it. If in the car the dog guard is just used normally.

We may try a harness again sometime now he's calmed down a bit from how hyper he was a couple of years back, but I don't have high hopes of him standing for it.