Ford Sierra Sapphire Restoration

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
BMrider

Ford Sierra Sapphire Restoration

#1 Post by BMrider » Wed May 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi All,

Just Joined this Forum and want to detail a restoration project of mine

Restoration started back in September 2016 on my Ford Sierra Saphire 2.0 Ghia manual.

The posts below are a thread detailing progress from September 2016 till now (03/05/2017)

I have had the car from new (In Nov 1989) it had 72K on it when it was placed down the bottom of my garden 12 years ago covered for most of the time.

It has a 2.0 DOHC engine manual box and air con

It was dragged out of its resting place to assess it's condition, with a view to get on the road in September last year

Engine spun , oil pressure up, electrics, many things not working, fuel pump, blower fan, radio, horn rear lights intermittent, central locking. most other electrics function

Rear wheels seized

Drivers and passenger doors need replacing as do nearside inner and outer sill and offside outer sill,

Initial assessment is it has survived quite well apart from the mentioned rust problems the body is in fair condition, interior good but a bit mouldy (Cleans up well) it had a new clutch just before storing and was driven to its final resting place and coolant drained.

I'm planning to restore to get MOT then a rolling restoration to original condition, Lots of work to do though!

Photo from Sept 2016 once undergrowth cleared!

BMrider

Re: Ford Sierra Sapphire Restoration

#2 Post by BMrider » Wed May 03, 2017 12:27 pm

From Sept last year;

So far, need to get engine going, but silence from fuel pump! engine spins over, spark at plugs just no fuel, so tank out to check the pump,

Had to remove the towbar to get at tank, cutting a few bolts as I went, also the tank was a bit of a struggle with seized captive fixings, more cutting!

Going to fit new tank if the engine runs ok.

Once I have the engine running and freed the wheels I can drive round to the garage for better working conditions

Found some new rust areas, but still very much restorable.

Some more pics;

BMrider

#3 Post by BMrider » Wed May 03, 2017 12:30 pm

October 2016

So the bills start to rise, Fuel pump was no good, and needed to replace the Fuel Filter also so Burton Motorsport http://www.burtonpower.com/ (Who I used to work for in the 70's) sent me some parts :grin:

Tanks out and in workshop insides good, outside surface rust so going to clean up, treat rust and paint (black) need to make a new strap, and sort out captive fixings.

BMrider

#4 Post by BMrider » Wed May 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Update; Oct 2016

I cleaned the tank inside of 12 years of jellied stale fuel. fitted new pump and new fuel filter, removed surface rust and painted outside of tank, had tank strap fixed where I had to cut it off (Spot welded new piece in) sorted all rusted captive nuts and made new ones and re hung tank under car.

Currently waiting for new fuel injectors as old ones beyond saving.

I am hearing pump prime but no fuel at fuel rail, I have checked everything and think I may have pushed the pump to high on the pipe in the tank and its inlet is sitting above the current fuel level, will add more fuel later.

Got the engine to run on all 4 briefly by introducing raw fuel into inlet manifold, run for about 20 seconds but encouraging to hear.

Don't plan to drop the tank again till next spring when will start underbody repaint so will have to run around with plenty of fuel.

Had the twin rad fans in workshop, sorted rusted fan carrier and freed up sluggish fans and tested.

Working my way round numerous electrical connection problems.

Radiators got a small leak the system was drained whilst stored so not frost damage.

Brought rust free drivers and passenger doors from Cos Elle on here, Thanks

Will update again shortly with pics.

BMrider

#5 Post by BMrider » Wed May 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Update 25/11

I brought a bigger jack! 3 ton from http://www.sgs-engineering.com/?gcli...FVG6GwodUSwCIQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nice bit of kit and good service from SGS.

Today It runs! Original new fuel pump faulty and fitted a 2nd new one, new fuel injectors, cleaned out fuel rail, ICValve and with a bit of start yer bas****! burst into rattley life, the rattles settled down quickly (Hyd Lifters) it ran well up to temperature, moved backwards / forwards in the gears everything good after 12 years of storage in the garden, got it insured and making space in garage ready to move it up to there, next some welding! and MOT, Happy Days!

BMrider

#6 Post by BMrider » Wed May 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Got the engine going at last and brakes freed off so was able to drive it at last out of the field its sat in for last 12 years up to my garage, not without more fuel drama, (fuel leaks) got new HP fuel pipe from Burtons and will be fixing.
Garage jobs now complete, Got all rear lights functioning by making up supplementary earths and cleaning bulb holders and contacts, changed engine oil / filter/ air filter/ cleaned icv, new gearbox earth on order, need to get exhaust downpipe off for welding small holes, prepared rot around front screen for paint caused by clumsy screen replacement in past.

Work is so much easier in the garage!

ImageCar SOS "Saving my Sierra Sapphire" by Mark Handley, on Flickr

BMrider

#7 Post by BMrider » Wed May 03, 2017 12:36 pm

So an update, lots done, decided the down pipe to far gone so have a new one waiting to go on, brought a new radiator, stripped out lights for a clean and refresh, new discs / pads & front springs, TCA & steering joints good, dealt with minor surface rust in offside wheel arch and suspension tower and repaint, slam panel was a mess cosmetically so repainted that as well, lots of other jobs under way around the car, booked in for welding and new front doors fitting on the 30th Jan followed by MOT.

BMrider

#8 Post by BMrider » Wed May 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Jan 2017 Update;

Car went for its MOT today, I expected a fail and it did! but the point was to know what's needed.

Fail points;

Cracked screen in wiper area
Rust on sills, & nearside front chassis leg
New front doors needed (I have them already)
Brake pipe corrosion
Front hoses need replacing

The sills need more work than I thought, outer and inner sills and about an inch of floor pan need attention.

Awaiting Welding; (click the broken link)

ImageSierra Sapphire by Mark Handley, on Flickr

rough list of replaced parts so far

Battery, Radiator, TCA's, Front Springs, Discs/pads, Exhaust Downpipe, New Tyres all round, various bulbs, Fuel pump, Fuel Filter, Fuel injectors, Prop shaft front section and doughnut, Centre bearing and bush, Fuel pipes, driver passenger doors, boot lock,

Image above is missing fog lights and headlamp wipers (I have Saab 9-3 ones) as still restoring.

Long term plans to upgrade audio, replace headlining and fix jammed sunroof, finally respray same stratos silver colour.

BMrider

#9 Post by BMrider » Wed May 03, 2017 12:39 pm

The other sides not so bad, :shocked:

ImageSierra rust by Mark Handley, on Flickr

BMrider

#10 Post by BMrider » Wed May 03, 2017 12:40 pm

ImageUntitled by Mark Handley, on Flickr

ImageSierra by Mark Handley, on Flickr

ImageSierra a frame work by Mark Handley, on Flickr