New Project...

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
rich.

Re: New Project...

#21 Post by rich. » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:01 pm

im in the uk soon so i will pop in & see him.. he's retired now but im sure he would be interested..

RangerNeil

#22 Post by RangerNeil » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am

rich. wrote:im in the uk soon so i will pop in & see him.. he's retired now but im sure he would be interested..
Thanks Rich. In Belgium all next week helping a friend reassemble a Series 2A Landie so I wan;t be around till 1st week in July.

Did a bit more last Saturday - or tried to. Got the genny running at last so I could cut off the rusted padlocks and fitted new ones. Proper Squire 220's as used by the MoD. And I got the vacuum cleaner working in the cab and got rid of most of the cob webs and accumulated crap. However when I tried using a mains powered tyre compressor that over loaded the genny. So I took it as read there was no way it was going to power the pressure washer.
Still can't get the passenger door open in the cab - I've double checked and there is no internal lock any more so I have soaked the hinges in penetrating oil and we'll see what happens next time I am over there Same with the spare wheel steady - I have it freed off now and also soaking in penetrating oil to get it working. So - a little progress. Then rain stopped play again.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

RangerNeil

#23 Post by RangerNeil » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:23 pm

Did a bit more work on the Militant the other weekend. Checked the cab - and yes - the bloody spiders are back!! Got to find a way of banishing them - at least from the cab!!

And it doesn't end there! Next job tackled was the passenger door. Not matter what I had tried it would not open from either inside or out. Last time I was up I soaked the hinges in penetrating oil just in case. but it still would not open on just the handle today. Must admit I was kacking it a bit fearing perhaps the cab was distorted on that side.
I slipped the end of a pry bar under the lower edge of the door lip and, with the handle held down, exerted gentle but increasing pressure using rags between the bar and the body. Slowly the door began to move and then I heard a ripping sound. I wasn't expecting this and wondered if there was any fabric involved in the door shut so stopped and shot round to the drivers door just to confirm. There wasn't so I kept applying the pressure, the door kept moving slowly accompanied by this ripping noise and then the door popped open. The reason for the sticking was plain to see and I admit is stunned me. More bloody spiders webs,. So thing they had gummed the door in place - all along the top ed and down the lock side.
The inner door panel needs replacing as expected - I think I need to do something about water sealing it as I suspect the window regulator is rusted solid. For sure the lower edge screws are looking like removing them will also remove the bottom edge of the door.

Having that sorted next task on the list were the sheeting lockers under the front of the load bed. Two of the three Tee locks were free but one each side wasn't releasing. Again last time out they were pumped full of penetrating oil and today, grudgingly, the keys turned. The pry bar was required again to get the gates to open - this time the problem was corrosion and eventually I had both of them open.

Once these were sorted it was up onto the front bumper with a mallet and persuading the radiator cap to undo.

Looks like one of the next investments is going to be a large bottle of blue antifreeze - before winter gets here.

With that done it was time to get under - the air distribution valve that is leaking needs to come off and be stripped down to stop the constant air leak. Although the system holds air currently that constant leak drains the air tank within a minute of shutting the engine down. I do not feel it would be safe to take on the road with that problem - not for long distances anyway - so I guess W&P will not be seeing the Militant this year. Bummer
Any way - slid underneath with the tools and the penetrating fluid , cleaned off the loose muck then coated all 3 unions with penetrating fluid as also the 3 nuts/bolts that hold it to the chassis member. I did have try at undoing the unions but it was a no-go.

Interestingly - as I was crawling out I noticed this:

Looks like I have a 24v feed to the rear of the vehicle - maybe for a flashing amber beacon?? If so it will make fitting one a lot easier.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

rich.

#24 Post by rich. » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:03 am

while i was back in blighty i went to see my old mate & the bugger has moved house! i have been trying to get in touch. i will keep you informed.. where are you based??

JPB

#25 Post by JPB » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:37 am

rich. wrote:I went to see my old mate & the bugger has moved house!.....
:lol:

Yeah, this happens to me fairly frequently too! :oops: ;)

That truck seems to be pretty fair for its age, I'm enjoying these military vehicle threads. :thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

RangerNeil

#26 Post by RangerNeil » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:33 pm

rich. wrote:while i was back in blighty i went to see my old mate & the bugger has moved house! i have been trying to get in touch. i will keep you informed.. where are you based??
I live in Dagenham, Essex, the Militant is up near Sible Headingham. :)
JPB wrote:
rich. wrote:I went to see my old mate & the bugger has moved house!.....
:lol:

Yeah, this happens to me fairly frequently too! :oops: ;)

That truck seems to be pretty fair for its age, I'm enjoying these military vehicle threads. :thumbs:
Glad you enjoy it. :)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#27 Post by RangerNeil » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Another day working on the Militant....
Although the work content was not quite what I intended - plan was to use a pressure washer to get rid of all the loose crap, muck and algae. Just got the air pressure up to roll forwards when the farmer banned me from doing it as I'd block the yard. Seems I'll have to find a time no one else will be there to be blocked.

Anyways - rather than waste both the day and the 1/4 of a Range Rovers tank of fuel getting there I set to and stripped the drivers door down. That took a lot longer than expected as some screws were VERY reluctant to shift. But in the end the door inner panel was free. Currently the screws and most components are on the drivers seat, the door panel itself was put back on at the end of work with a couple of screws and and the bolts into the lower fixed hinge.

That left trying to release the window winder handle. Took 3 people inc. me to find the pin holding it in. Once it was done off came the panel revealing the winder mechanism and the problem appears to be two fold.
1) the crank teeth are just skipping on the winder quadrant so the glass won't move.
2) the carrier was stuck solid -- likely with rust.

A liberal dose of WD40 finally freed the window which will now go up and down manually. The window winder is FUBAR though and needs replacing - apparently Morris Minor ones will fit.
Bottom 2 securing screws and nuts came out OK but the top two will not budge - think they may need to cut unless I can find a cranked screw driver. Struck me as being an odd choice - countersunk screws rather than bolts.

The drivers inner door panel looks like a new one:

The bottom of the door frame is seriously rusty though and will need repairing whilst the inside face of the outer panel needs a disc over it and then treatment with rust neutraliser as can be seen here:

Next step is to get some replacement regulators to install.

I would have carried on and done the passenger door too - but there is a horse box up against that side of the vehicle so to open the door I'd need to roll the vehicle forwards - and there was that ban in place today.

Today's red face moment - went to stall the old girl out in 5th as the normal cut-off needs looking at, put her in gear and nothing. Was starting to feel annoyed and upset thinking I had a major problem due to not being able to kill the engine suddenly sprung on me when one of the guys suggested the hi/low might have moved into neutral.
Doh!! :oops: :oops: Completely forgot this one was 6x6!! Turned out it wasn't that but the 6x6/6x4 selector lever had lifted and was in a neutral position. Pushed back down into 6x4 and all was OK. I can only assume I must have caught it getting out of the cab last time.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

TerryG

#28 Post by TerryG » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:45 am

It looks like you're having fun working on the big beast.
Just remember: "He who dies with the most biggest toys, wins".
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

RangerNeil

#29 Post by RangerNeil » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:31 pm

A bit more progress - totally unexpected admittedly - but still progress.
One of the other guys with vehicles in the same location messaged me the other day - seems they had been down working on his vehicles and one of his lads got a bit bored - so they pulled the Militant forwards enough to access the cab and let him loose with a pressure washer. Looks like he's done a good job. :D

What - possibly - is not so good is that as he waited for the air pressure to build up after coming forwards the engine cut out! Turned out the fuel tank was now empty so once the job was done she had to be pushed back into her bay by hand. Glad it wasn't me having to do it :D :shock:

So the next job will be taking some jerry cans of diesel down - was planning on that anyway - I think I have a couple of 20 litre and one 10 litre - pouring those in the tank and then bleeding the fuel system.
Should be a case of loosening the nut on the front of filter on the passenger side and turning her over (or there was a hand primer on some models down by the fuel pump- odds are mine won't be that easy). If she won't fire after that then its a case of wait for diesel to reach filter, loosening a injector pipe and trying again. Messy but that should get her kicking over.

Also thinking now the best thing is going to be to give the cab at least a coat of green paint to cover over for the winter and make a start on the metal work next year. This summer weather can't last too much longer and working with bare metal out in the open during the winter surely cannot be a good idea.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#30 Post by RangerNeil » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:32 pm

Popped up to the AEC yesterday - "popped" being a relative term is its a 90 minute drive each way in the RangeRover - and put 50 litres of fuel in the tank. That in itself proved to be a task as the 2 x 20 litre cans could not be emptied in fully without risk of spillage so the remain had to be emptied into the 10 litre can and then poured in from that. Note to self - get a funnel for the tool box before next weekend.
Once the fuel was in I had the engine covers open and tried getting her to start. And failed miserably. The priming lever had over 2,000 pumps and my hand was knackered but not matter what she would fire for a few beats and then die to just spin over.

A friend popped in today to see if he could spot what I was missing and reported half the lift pump appeared not to be working so he used a short sharp application of percussive maintenance (whacked it with a mallet) and now all is well. :D
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469