New Project...

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
GHT

Re: New Project...

#11 Post by GHT » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:28 am

There was a time when I wouldn't miss War & Peace. I haven't been since the relocation from the former site. July is always so busy on the social calendar, but my wife and I must make the effort, especially as we are now longer dependent on the site conveniences, the latrines were always stomach churning, but we now have our own wash and loo facilities. So we might get there for the weekend finale this year.

RangerNeil

#12 Post by RangerNeil » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:04 pm

GHT wrote:There was a time when I wouldn't miss War & Peace. I haven't been since the relocation from the former site. July is always so busy on the social calendar, but my wife and I must make the effort, especially as we are now longer dependent on the site conveniences, the latrines were always stomach churning, but we now have our own wash and loo facilities. So we might get there for the weekend finale this year.
It is the last year at the new site. Contract is up (5 years) and apparently Kent County Council have earmarked the site for housing so the 5 year extension to the contract is out the window. The local residents aren't too happy as they believe it will be immigrant housing - but that is not our issue.
No one knows where the new owners will move to - but there is a fairly strong rumour doing the rounds that it will be up north to Stoneleigh. It's only a rumour but it is causing a lot of upset, especially to the European attenders.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

GHT

#13 Post by GHT » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Stoneleigh, very good for motorway links, but as you pointed out, a long way for the European contingent. Wherever they go, it will be down to cost, and if that means upsetting some, well that's how it is, offsetting the price of admission to the many with a cheaper venue but increasing the time and running cost to those furthest afield.

RangerNeil

#14 Post by RangerNeil » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:44 pm

GHT wrote:Stoneleigh, very good for motorway links, but as you pointed out, a long way for the European contingent. Wherever they go, it will be down to cost, and if that means upsetting some, well that's how it is, offsetting the price of admission to the many with a cheaper venue but increasing the time and running cost to those furthest afield.
Indeed so. However the Stoneleigh destination is currently only rumour so best to wait and see how things go. This year will be the first totally under the control of the new owners and it will be interesting to see how things go. :D

I don't think this old girl will be ready to attend by then though. It depends on how much work there is to be done and how many dry weekends I get to do it in :-)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#15 Post by RangerNeil » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:01 am

Collection has had to be deferred to May 7th now due to me mixing up the dates the current owner will be free for handover. :(
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#16 Post by RangerNeil » Thu May 05, 2016 10:33 pm

Got final confirmation both both thes eller and the haulage form that we are go for collection on Saturday. So I picked up the new batteries today - two type 663's @ £70 each.

Meeting the seller and the transport at about 12:30 Saturday and then the fun really starts :-)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#17 Post by RangerNeil » Mon May 09, 2016 9:43 pm

Good news is the move went ahead and the old girl is now safe in her new home. Traffic issues amongst other things meant the planned timings slipped drastically and I finally got home at about 21:30 and too knackered to post anything.
One of the "hiccups" in timings involved me getting caught in the middle of an armed police raid on a local house. - not a good sign for the start of the new London mayor... Road go closed for a short while as two van loads of armed plod leapt out, removed a front door with one of their opening devices and swarmed inside. Took about 30 minutes before the road was reopened to traffic. But I got there in the end, the two new batteries were fitted and the old girl burst into life.

http://youtu.be/0hPJS771kA4

A while later and the low-loader arrived - she went straight on and once the neck was reattached we were ready to go - albeit apprehensively as the height was looking a bit worrysome. The old girl stands at 13' 1" on her wheels so on the trailer considerable higher - 16' 2" at the highest point if I recall correctly. But it was agreed the route to Sible would be OK as the Dartford crossing has sufficient clearance on one of the bores - only concern - and it turned out justifiably - was the road down to the farm which has lots of overhanging trees. More later.
Once Andy was loaded and rolling I headed off to Sible to find out exactly where Stuart the owner of the farm wanted it put. Did manage to catch one snap of the loaded trailer:

Once at Sible it was a case of wait until the low loader arrived. Which it did at about 19:30 Once Andy had dropped the trailer and cleared the cab out of the away the fun started!! I reversed the old girl off the trailer and back between two buildings Both of which might best be described as fragile.Then proceeded to try and turn left at 90 deg. Cue 10 very nervous shunts in decreasing amounts of room before we got the old girl around and pointed in the right direction. From there it was plain sailing down to where Stuart wanted her parked. Sadly everyone else had had to head home for dinner so there was no one there to record the momentous occasion - or the fact I never demolished either building!!
Whilst driving home I could not fail to notice the carnage wrought on the overhanging trees with twigs and leaves everywhere - I ohpe that won;t happen every time we go out!!!

For those interested the Mil Reg was 16 CL 49 and she entered service in 1959 - supplied under contract 6/V/27070, chassis number 0860-504

The "to do" list has already begun - but I think I have gotten off incredibly light given she has sat outside so long. Currently it comprises (in no particular order) and not including the bodywork I was already aware of:

Air leak from somewhere around the rearmost axle - maybe a sticking valve?
The engine stop by lifting the throttle pedal does not work - have to stall her out in a high gear currently.
Door window winders do not work - and it gets VERY hot hauling that steering wheel around.
Passenger door handle does not work - externally at least.
Now needs a new silencer - the old one blew apart when the engine was started!! Possibly a down pipe too
Needs a handle for the indicator switch - should be easy enough to source.

First job though next weekend (today I am in dads taxi mode) is to wash all the algae and crap off - so a pressure washer will be put to good use. and then I can take stock of how bad the tin worm is and what needs to be done.. maybe find a couple of more items for the "to do" list. Good news is a stack of manuals came with her!!
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#18 Post by RangerNeil » Fri May 20, 2016 10:56 pm

At the end of the first day last Saturday an important lesson was leanrt. If using a step ladder to un-lash the tail sheet and flip it onto the roof - make sure it is actually on the ground and not on top of two ruts. Otherwise - as happened today the ladder will shoot sideways when a rut collapses and whilst you are at the top of it leaving you hanging from the rearmost sticks before you drop, gouging the leg on the hinges and then falling the remaining 8 or so feet to land flat on your back. Which f&%k$£g HURTS!!!!

Now to business, First thing noticed was a soft front tyre Drivers side. Now I have no idea if it was soft on collection or whether I've picked up something manoeuvring to get into where it is parked at the farm. I believe there is a tyre inflator in the tool locker to be used with the inflation system on the vehicle - but the lock is rusted solid and needs to be cut off tomorrow. As do the ones on the oil can and jerry can carriers. The front lockers each have one of the T-key locks frozen - and on both it is the rear most one so they will need a good soaking in penetrating oil. And I need to invest in a set of T keys. Luckily I managed to borrow one today.

Both the T-key locks on the rear panel worked easily though - I guess because they were in regular use.

The rear body is not too bad - exposed rust was coated in Kurust today to arrest any further corrosion For sure the front drop side on the drivers side is pretty far bone albeit salvageable. Working around the vehicle outside from the passenger side front:

Passenger door will not open on external handle.
Silencer has blown apart (already knew that!)
Rearmost t-key lock on the front locker is frozen and needs soaking.
Padlock on the Jerry can holder rusted solid and needs cutting off
padlock on the oil can locker rusted solid and needs cutting off.
Bump stop on tail gate, drivers side, bracket is corroded to nothing.
Padlock on the took locker is rusted solid and needs cutting off
Rearmost t-key lock on the front locker is frozen and needs soaking
Air leak from chassis mounted valve - compressor holds its own though.
There are two holes in the roof - one at front on centre line and one to the rear of the drivers door that were originally taped over. Managed to tape over one again but the front centre was out of reach.
There are bumps under the tape running around the edge of the roof section. Ominous!!

Up in the cab:

Passenger door will not open from the inside either.
Window regulator does not work at all. Glass tries to move when lowering but other than that - nothing.
Passenger side front screen cracked - suspect because of heavy corrosion in vehicle from ( screen does not close fully.
Wipers do not work. Turn on air top, turn on wipers and they make one sweep and stop.
Temp gauge was all over the place. At 500 rpm its steady on approx 16. At 1000 RPM it was flicking from 16 to 20. At 1500 rpm it was flicking from 16 to 24. After leaving it a while turned off then restarting the gauge seemed to hold steady on about 12 (120 deg C) So I think the sender has cleared what ever was acting up.
Cab interior light not working
Horn not working No idea about dip switch - need to get some one to watch as it is operated.

The good news is all the lights are working - head side and tail as is the hazard warning light switch. Can't check the indicators as the lever is in half a dozen bits and needs replacing.The corrosion is a bit more extensive than I first thought - but its all doable. I think, though, that its going to take a bit longer than expected. I will be extremely lucky if she is anywhere near finished by the end of next year. I do not think - given the skills, facilities and financial resources available to me - that she will be at any shows next year.

During the week I got the insurance cover sorted with Footman James - good news is swapping the Militant for the OT-90 has cut my insurance cost almost in half - £320 last year, £180 this year!! And the V5 arrived this morning so I had a try at taxing on-line despite being told by many that MOT Exempt vehicles cannot be done on line - and it work. So the Militant is taxed and insured and can be used for rumbles now!
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

rich.

#19 Post by rich. » Sat May 21, 2016 7:05 am

i love your new toy!! have you considered fitting power steering? i know a man who can.... :D
seems you had an interesting trip home though :lol: post lots of pics please :drool:

RangerNeil

#20 Post by RangerNeil » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:59 am

PAS sounds interesting :-) I was told, though, that due it is being a 6x6 rather than a 6x4 there was no room for it? I'd certainly be interested in the details though!!

Not had a chance to do much more - following week I was up a ladder at the back and it decided to slip leaving me temporarily suspended 13 feet up. Then gravity exerted it's claim and I was on the ground by way of anything that protruded from the tailgate.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469