New Project...

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
RangerNeil

Re: New Project...

#41 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:40 am

Long time - no update so here goes :)
For starters I managed to secure a replacement silencer. It was- I think for a Mk 3 Militant so the inlet and outlets were in the wrong place and the wrong size bore however a quick trip to the local engineering shop got that modified and that was then fitted together with freshly painted hangers.

Unfortunately I cannot post photos at the moment due to Photobuckets sudden attack of corporate greed in banning all 3rd party hosting and linking unless you pay them $400 a year. Currently looking for an viable alternative so I can start reposting and maybe replacing images

Anyways... The steering wheel is back from being refurbished and they have done an excellent job. Refitted that OK The blacks surround for the instrument panel had been flatted and repainted satin black and is now refitted. Actual IP is still just laid in as I need to sort out why the fuel gauge does not read at all and the temp gauge goes erratic as she warms up.

The horn has been removed and stripped down - and found to be as dead as a dodo and beyond my skills to repair. However an MoD issue 24v Lucas Allette horn was found on eBay and bought - this is supplied and fitted/tested, Front bumper had been cleaned up and coated in Bonda primer as have the front wheel arches. These turned out to be heavily filled and not possible to repair with sheet steel unless they are moved and basically torn to pieces - so the rust holes have been patched with fibre glass and skimmed with filler until time and - most importantly - money permits a proper repair.

Doorskins have been replace and just need refitting. Got a slight issue with the replacement winder mechanisms - the old ones are dead flat, the new ones have a cranked end and that is hitting the door crossbar where the mechanisms mount to., I need to either get them straightened or get the actuating rams swapped over - that would be another job for an engineering firm.

Lastly the air brakes were found to still be leaking air after the replacement of the rear distribution valve. The source was identified as being the foot brake valve so that was removed - biggest nightmare job ever as to get at it wound up wedged between the road wheel and the chassis rail. Once out I tried to strip it down for repair but one of the studs was severely rusted in its hole in the top cap. So once more it was replaced - this time on an exchange basis (£290 worth..) for a new one. This was fitted last weekend and did indeed solve the initial problem. Unfortunately another problem had been acquired somehow in that the system would not charge past 60 psi and as soon as the engine dropped to idle that bled off quickly. It wound up with three of us hunting for air leaks on all the unions in the system. One of the guys decided to follow the line back along the chassis rail - and found another valve that was not on the system diagram. Interestingly it was marked with a one way arrow so - in the best possible tradition of British Army Engineering - he clouted it with a hammer. End of problem!!
System promptly charged back up to 120 psi and held there even at idle then when turned off it took 30 minutes to drop from 120 to 110 psi. So the brakes are now back in commission. Another job ticked off the list.

Next time I am over the work list includes getting the engine cut-off to work properly. It should die when the throttle pedal is lifted and it tries to but you can't lift the pedal high enough so a little adjustment is needed at the pump end. Other than this there is the fuel and temp gauges to sort and the wipers to look at in the cab. They didn't work right at 60 psi so may at 120 psi. If they don't I need to work out why and fix that then she is ready for road testing as far as the cab and controls go. On the outside I just need to drop the spare wheel and check the operation of that - and its pressure and then it can actually be road tested.

Ohh yes - a 1m long breaker bar and the appropriate size socket for the wheel nuts is on the shopping list. :)
Last edited by RangerNeil on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

Luxobarge

#42 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:58 am

Many thanks for the update. This is always an interesting read, as the problems you have to deal with aren't the normal ones a typical car restoration throws up.

Sympathies on the Photobucket issue, it's affected many of us. They're not getting my money, that's for sure.

Keep the updates coming and well done - really good progress! :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

RangerNeil

#43 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Luxobarge wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:58 am
Many thanks for the update. This is always an interesting read, as the problems you have to deal with aren't the normal ones a typical car restoration throws up.

Sympathies on the Photobucket issue, it's affected many of us. They're not getting my money, that's for sure.

Keep the updates coming and well done - really good progress! :D
Many thanks :) Apart from the fact the brakes are air and not hydraulic most of the issues are akin to a cars - just on a MUCH larger scale :)
E.G - a cars master cylinder probably weighs 1 kg, maybe 2 Kg. The foot brake valve on this old girl is closer to 20 Kg :)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#44 Post by RangerNeil » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:00 pm

Another half a days work - had to wait in because the daughter Mk 1 had her driving test at 09:00 - she passed! So now she can learn to drive real vehicles!! :twisted:
But still progress. I was bugged by those winders not working so took them out again. The cranked arms were definitely catching so with the help of a chap from the racing shed opposite we got the arms straightened out. I think if I were using the long arms of the originals it would not be a problem however changing the arms over would be a nightmare and a cut and shut welding job was out due to a lock of a welder. So any way - I refitted the winder with the straightened arms and they work a lot better. Going down is no longer a problem. Coming up one has to thump the glass with a fist to get over the "hump" as it were.
Basically the bottom channels for the windows have "blown" due to corrosion and need total replacing - which was out of my ability at the moment.
Inner door skins are now on - I got some stainless steel screws same size as the originals but they are VERY loose in the holes so I am thinking I will replace them with pop rivets - or the next size up screw.

Don't look too bad though.... I had to give the insides of the doors a touch up of DBG from where the winders were fitted so I used the remains to do the front vice to get a feel for the colour externally fitted.

Apologies again for the lack of pictures - still trying to sort out a reliable alternative to Photobucket after their crazy policy changes.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469