'98 Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0 V6

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
rich.

Re: '98 Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0 V6

#11 Post by rich. » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:34 pm

i fancied those in my younger days, can you fit 3 small kids on the back seat?

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:50 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool:
That is rather gorgeous! Come on, Peugeot, look at this little beauty, you can make nice cars if you try..
rich. wrote:i fancied those in my younger days, can you fit 3 small kids on the back seat?
:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Smartboy

#13 Post by Smartboy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:24 am

Ha - that's one of the reasons it got laid-up. We had our 1st baby almost 5 years ago and didn't fancy leaning over to pop them in a baby seat in the back. Huge boot though, so plenty of room for prams and child ancillaries.

There are only 2 bucket seats in the rear. The centre section is raised and pretty firm and don't think there is a 3rd seatbelt in the centre.

Had our 2nd baby a year ago and now have some kid-friendly cars to cart them around in, so I want to get the coupe back on the road so I can use it as my comfortable commuter.

They were a pretty rare sight on the roads 10 years ago when I was using it lots and can't remember seeing one recently.

It sounded surprisingly good too for a Peugeot. Performance was that of a relaxed, unstressed coupe good for cruising - certainly not something to throw around twisty B roads, especially with the auto-box that I have in mine.
I remember I used to get around 25mpg-ish which I thought was pretty good.

The electric folding mirrors didn't always do what they were told. You could set them to fold in when you turned the key off but sometimes they didn't and then sometimes when they unfolded, they didn't stop at 90 degrees, folding all the way forward to 180 degrees! I 'fixed' that by turning off the auto-fold and keeping them out all the time!

Front bumper was delicate and got 2 hairline cracks from other people bumping into it when they parked up in front of me when I lived on a busy road in the centre of town.

Auto rain-sensing wipers very occasionally had a brain-burp too, going from intermittent to hyper-wiper and back to intermittent if there were one or two drops of rain about.

Rear window seal had gone which resulted in water in the spare wheel well. 'Fixed' that with some clear silicone bathroom sealant, so I need to get that properly sorted (I guess by asking Autogalass to come and re-fit the screen for me).

Despite giving it lots of care and attention, the paintwork suffered on the roof. The lacquer failed and the paint has badly faded. I'd like to give it a full respray and get it looking top-notch once again (although that might be stretching my spending budget with Mrs Smartboy)!

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:45 am

Smartboy wrote:Huge boot though, so plenty of room for a child...
There we are, I fixed that for you! :twisted: ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#15 Post by rich. » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:19 am

JPB wrote:
Smartboy wrote:Huge boot though, so plenty of room for a wife...
There we are, I fixed that for you! :twisted: ;)
there! i fixed that for you :lol:

rich.

#16 Post by rich. » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:14 pm

meanwhile i find myself looking at these cars for sale there are even 2.2 diesels available.. i like the 3 litre petrol as you have... whats fuel consumption & insurance like?

Smartboy

#17 Post by Smartboy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:16 am

I never really paid much attention to fuel consumption to be honest. I think it was somewhere close to 25mpg when I was using it as my daily driver (mix of motorway and crawling through rush-hour traffic).

Insurance - that changed a fair bit as I got older, had no claims, moved house a few times etc.
Seem to recall it was about £350 a year for Mrs Smartboy and myself, fully comp, protected no-claims, 12k annual mileage, parked on private drive when we put it into retirement.

rich.

#18 Post by rich. » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:59 pm

cheers mate, i worked for a wealthy chap who owned one from new when the coupe was first released.. when he was going out for an evening he would take his other car (a morris marina) probably to impress the ladies & avoid the w####s who had ruined his last new car :evil:
have you got yours on the road yet?

Smartboy

#19 Post by Smartboy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:22 am

Ha - nope!

To me, this will be a 12-month project at least :roll: !

2 small kids and a hectic day-job... if I can tick one thing off the list per month, then I think I'm doing well!

rich.

#20 Post by rich. » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:40 pm

you have my sympathies mate.. ive got 3 kids, 6, 4, & 23 months.. couple that with renovating this place trying to run a small business it gets a bit complicated...