Lanchester Ld 10

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Minxy

Lanchester Ld 10

#1 Post by Minxy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:24 pm

So it arrived today - my new toy

Its a Lanchester Ld10. Officially registered in 1951 although the chassis number is a very early one - about 1946. It would appear the chassis was in the ownership of the Lanchester works and the body was fitted at the end of production but no one knows why. It has a Wilson pre-select gearbox :? The body from the firewall back is ally. The last owner had it for 37 years and it spent the last ten in a barn. It had a wash a new battery and fresh fuel so it runs. It will need new tyres and more recommissioning before it goes on the road then in the mid term a decision on whether/or how much to restore it.
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

rich.

Re: Lanchester Ld 10

#2 Post by rich. » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:51 pm

im in love... column change :drool: :drool:

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:26 pm

rich. wrote:im in love... column change :drool: :drool:
Technically, that's the preselector, the actual change is made with the gearchange pedal, confusingly found where the clutch would be on a conventional manual. Preselectors are brilliant and simple to drive: Select first then prod the pedal to move off and, as soon as you're moving, preselect the next gear and use the gearchange pedal when you want to engage that gear. For descending very steep hills, select reverse, which gives maximum engine braking. Dad's family owned several cars with preselector gearboxes and the associated Wilson fluid flywheel (the latter very similar to a more modern torque converter in its appearance), I first drove a car with a preselector (a Daimler) when I was eleven years of age and the technique is remarkably intuitive.

I absolutely love the patina of that car. IMHO, restoring the age out of it would be a great shame because it all appears well preserved in a way that no restored car can hope to match for its appeal. She's a beautiful old thing, enjoy!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:45 pm

That's fantastic, I'm super jealous. Please give us LOTS of updates on your progress with this will you? Can't wait to see more, brilliant car!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Penguin45

#5 Post by Penguin45 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:45 am

Lovely. Enjoy.

P45.

TerryG

#6 Post by TerryG » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:44 am

Nobody has mentioned the best bits, pod headlamps and suicide doors!
That is a rather cool looking toy.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

arceye

#7 Post by arceye » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:56 am

Assuming it is as good as it looks (and it looks bloody lovely) I vote you do as little as possible beyond the basic mechanics.

It looks to be a lovely time mellowed motor, don't mind admitting to drooling a little bit over those pics. :drool:

Well bought methinks :thumbs:

SirTainleyBarking

#8 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:42 pm

New set of rubber, new fluids and any bits that have time expired, then some hide food and a half pound or so of wax and a microfibre cloth.

Thats all that needs to be rather schplendid.

nothing worse than restoring it so deep that it looks like a shiny trailer queen

If that was a box of bits held together by rust then yeah go for factory fresh, but it doesn't need it. A bit of light fettling is all
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

vulgalour

#9 Post by vulgalour » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:31 pm

That's really rather lovely, change as little as possible.

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:11 am

i drove a lorry with a preselector box..it was lovely :D