Austin A35 Project

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
rich.

Re: Austin A35 Project

#11 Post by rich. » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:46 am

didnt the mag do an a35/40 with fuel injection once? if i remember correctly it went rather well...

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:10 am

I seem to remember an A40 Farina that fits the description, Rich. Either we both had the same dream or it actually happened :lol: but the original carb on an A30/A35/MK1 A40 isn't all bad and if it dies, then a cute little SU from a Minor (or a larger, more effective HIF type SU from a "modern" car) can be fitted as an alternative. As can a suitably jetted Weber 32 or 34 ICH from a Fiesta or Land Rover and the Weber looks much more like the original, since it's a downdraught device that fits on an original inlet manifold.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

gazza82

#13 Post by gazza82 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 am

My A35 has an SU from a 998 Riley Elf ... the down-draft Zenith was a pain to keep tuned.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Luxobarge

#14 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:52 am

All good stuff.

As an owner of a reasonably well tweaked A-series in my Midget, I'd just say that I'd recommend bearing in mind that sticking a huge carb (or carbs) on one of these engines can give great ultimate power when on song, but can make driveability at low revs quite bad, because the air speed past the jets can get quite low and give poor carburation unless you're giving the engine the beans all the time.

For that reason on mine I did all the stage-3 head, fast road cam, multi-branch exhaust etc. stuff but left the carbs as standard 1.25" twin SUs, and not only does it go like stink but it's really flexible and pleasant to drive slowly and at low revs - in fact it has a great torquey feel to it.

Just saying, like.... beware of some of the side effects of big carbs.

Look forward to seeing and hearing more about this though, sounds like a great project!

Cheers all :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

kevin

#15 Post by kevin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Wise words indeed luxo, in a previous life of racing classic triumph motorcycles I built a very trick motor including the suggested large carb. Bloody thing wouldn't run right if at all start. Once started it went really well if you totally ragged it. Swapped the carb for a standard 650cc item and it was transformed.
Very nice project all the same, look forward to the videos of it running

Kev

rich.

#16 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:20 pm

JPB wrote:I seem to remember an A40 Farina that fits the description, Rich. Either we both had the same dream or it actually happened :lol:
im not mad then? has anyone else tried this?

gazza82

#17 Post by gazza82 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:09 pm

One of my A35 owner colleagues is considering it .. possibly using the Mini SPI or MPI as the starting point. He's built his primarily as a hill-climb car but his project still very much 'work-in-progress' and he's looking for improvements all the time. Thinking about a DCOE as an interim phase if he can find the right shape of inlet.

Another stuck with a single HIF44 carb but just for good measure fitted a turbo .. Saab unit I believe after he tried a few Metro ones .. 140bhp from a 1275cc engine .. via a Ford Type 9 gearbox. Gives a few beemer drivers the willies when he comes flying up on their tails! :D

JPB

#18 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:20 pm

gazza82 wrote:....Another stuck with a single HIF44 carb but just for good measure fitted a turbo .. Saab unit I believe after he tried a few Metro ones .. 140bhp from a 1275cc engine .. via a Ford Type 9 gearbox. Gives a few beemer drivers the willies when he comes flying up on their tails! :D
:shock: Please tell me he strapped at least the centre main before unleashing this device! Respect very much due though, for sticking with an A series.
8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

gazza82

#19 Post by gazza82 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:48 pm

He has ... don't worry this gentleman is a proper engineer .. if it wasn't done properly, he didn't do it!!

He can vary the boost from inside the car ... so when he needs a bit more .. :-) I've been in it and I can definitely say next time, I'll wear the brown trousers!! ;)

rich.

#20 Post by rich. » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:18 pm

i would be interested to see the setup on that one..