My 90's classic ephemera

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
rich.

Re: My 90's classic ephemera

#11 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:23 pm

can we have a pic of the back bumper? ive not seen an early mondeo without the back held together with gaffer tape for years!

yes i am that sad :oops:

s1105117

#12 Post by s1105117 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:35 pm

hehe as requested :)
Attachments
20151201_134236-1.jpg
20151201_134236-1.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

rich.

#13 Post by rich. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:37 am

:drool: :drool:

TerryG

#14 Post by TerryG » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:27 pm

I'm amazed there is a 90s red car that is still red! I thought all 80/90s red cars seem to turn pink the first time sunlight hits them.

It's nice to see that you are caring for something a bit less common :)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

s1105117

#15 Post by s1105117 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:10 am

little update on the old red lorry :) she has covered a comfortable, efficient and nice 3k of miles recently here and there, and apart from a blown radiator core (she had the good grace to let this go on my drive after a 100 or so mile round trip) she has been superb. new rad fitted, easy job in theory until one bolt wont budge.... car pushed to nearby garage for a spot of heat... heavy :) she has also been treated to some new discs and pads, pads were ok but discs were meh and have been described as pitted on two mots.. so off to the shop! was greeted with ""would sir like the cheap Chinese discs for the old car?" hmmmm no i dont think i would like to skimp on my brakes actually, proper ford discs from Germany? yep :) and only 20 a pop more than their cheaper associates :) heater still stuck on hot, though have scavenged all needed bits from the local yard at a cost of £3, though as I work on my cars outside gonna wait for a wee bit more warmth i think :) other than that new power steering belt and fluid, wee service and away we go! however thought she smelled a tad hot today, and the fan was less in less than stellar nick.... hmmmmm, we shall see!

s1105117

#16 Post by s1105117 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:10 am

little update on the old red lorry :) she has covered a comfortable, efficient and nice 3k of miles recently here and there, and apart from a blown radiator core (she had the good grace to let this go on my drive after a 100 or so mile round trip) she has been superb. new rad fitted, easy job in theory until one bolt wont budge.... car pushed to nearby garage for a spot of heat... heavy :) she has also been treated to some new discs and pads, pads were ok but discs were meh and have been described as pitted on two mots.. so off to the shop! was greeted with ""would sir like the cheap Chinese discs for the old car?" hmmmm no i dont think i would like to skimp on my brakes actually, proper ford discs from Germany? yep :) and only 20 a pop more than their cheaper associates :) heater still stuck on hot, though have scavenged all needed bits from the local yard at a cost of £3, though as I work on my cars outside gonna wait for a wee bit more warmth i think :) other than that new power steering belt and fluid, wee service and away we go! however thought she smelled a tad hot today, and the fan was less in less than stellar nick.... hmmmmm, we shall see!

s1105117

#17 Post by s1105117 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:46 am

i should also perhaps aknowledge that i did title this thread including the word 'ephemera', indicating a plural of cars from the 1990's.

the mondeo is a keeper imo, and is currently being accompanied by the long term fleet presence of my aged but trusty 1994 Vauxhall Corsa B 1.5td. a car i doubt will ever achieve any status at all, and mine is 40mm lower than should be (improves handling and comfort as original springs were very hmmmm) on 15 inch (genuine period vauxhall!) alloys (yep, i know) and posses three different interior styles! (a very 90's blue astra drivers seat to aid comfort for all 6foot 3 of me with an iffy back :P) this car however (like the mondeo) holds some memories and is a truly faithful old thing, was £250 some years ago and is used for everything so owes me sod all :) besides it just goes on and on and on, and easily 55mpg. i think from time to time is she necessary, usually before the mot, but why get rid she is just fine! (i will admit, that in a moment of sheer determination i spent some ten hours welding in new metal a year or so ago)

the fleet also consists of my partners 90's car,(she actually only really likes modern cars the best, however our budget fits into my prefered car category!) and last year this was an ealry 90's civic (has to be automatic) picked up from a local trader with 12 months mot. now being a fool i didnt examine this properly for a year! with life etc in the way, i had noticed some filler when the missus got it but she was happy with it so left it for a rainy day.... anyway, took it off road a wee while before its mot (second child was born so missus wouldnt be driving it) now at this point i should add that (on another forum :o ) i have ranted about this for some time. this car was a death trap, took all the skirts etc these cars have to check the structure behind. there was not structure. the whole sill, from end to bottom of the B post was gone on both sides, filled with a sock, some filler, some tin foil, lots and lots (really lots) of rust and a whole load of newspaper, which interestingly was dated the day before the things last mot! suffice to say i was livid, the east-end bit of my up-bringing nearly leading me round to visit said dealer for a... 'conversation'... instead i tought maybe not for someone training to be a solicitor, so i instead grumpily pulled at the rear bumper, and it pretty much fell off! hidden behind more foil and filler it was screwed (with a wood screw!) into yet more filler... so, help scrap-man!

this has now been replaced with a car my missus has been very excitedly keen on, yep you guessed it an early (1997) long wheel base toyota rav4! she hasnt driven this yet as i am yet to get it sorted, having someone do the fair amount of welding for me... once i have removed the exhaust from it position on a propshaft, and replaced the egg shaped wheel i wasted money having a new tyre put on, mend the exhaust and get its emissions down to less than that of a small aeroplane (lambda, new cat already in...) should be good to go! as a country farm boy (Devon, my other bit of up-bringing!) I have already driven it, and i like it! in a short wheel based landy kinda way, besides it is nice to be able to bump over raised gravel filled bits without noticing when some plonker blocks you in... :)

the corsa and mondeo are cars i have memories off as a kid, and i do like them. perhaps a cortina/viscount/triumph may fit in somewhere?!