Austin A30 Seven

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
arceye

Re: Austin A30 Seven

#51 Post by arceye » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:07 am

Good luck with the Ford :) its definitely not the time of year for an open air resto but spring will be here soon or so I keep telling myself.

-7 degrees here the last few nights, even in the garage its too bloody cold with the door open for ventilation.

Any chance of a thread on these boards on the 100e ? :D

arceye

#52 Post by arceye » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:54 pm

I think apart from the front wings that is all the welding done now, had to repair the door skins then I got busy sanding and filling, still lots to do but the outside is now one colour (well, apart from the wings) it will certainly tidy it up enough for now and let me get on with the rest of the work needed.

Still the inside and boot, engine bay areas to paint along with undersealing etc, but it makes me feel a little that I'm getting somewhere, I can see the day coming at least now that I get to start on the oily bits and electrics.

kevin

#53 Post by kevin » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:14 pm

That's coming along nicely

Kev

JPB

#54 Post by JPB » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:50 pm

^^^ :thumbs: ! The standard of finish looks excellent, another of these most engaging wee cars lives on thanks to you. That, as an achievement, is right up there with saving a drowning puppy.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

blades

#55 Post by blades » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:17 pm

Arceye

You are doing a great job, I'm looking forward to seeing the Austin finished

Nick

arceye

#56 Post by arceye » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Cheers Chaps,

In truth the paint finish could be better in places, its just not quite flat enough in parts but that's down to a few cold spots stopping the paint from flowing quite as well as it should. A little more thinners would possibly have got round it but then the paint going on would have been thinner than I wanted it and prone to runs. Despite using a heater and warming the paint a little it was not quite enough to get round it, but I'm happy enough for now, and I can always revisit it in the future when the weather warms up a little if I feel I must.

Anyway, I repaired the front Passenger side wing today,

New metal on the bottom at rear of arch

Then I knocked the bodge out of the front section

and a little fresh metal went in

So that done I've loosely bolted it up to check fit and get it ready for a filler skim to the repaired areas and sanding etc.

Just the drivers side wing to repair and I think the welding marathon will be over, I might even buy a bottle to celebrate.

SirTainleyBarking

#57 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:47 pm

gas bottle or beer bottle? :lol:
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

TerryG

#58 Post by TerryG » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:32 pm

I think a mini has sunk in to the ground just in front of your A30 ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#59 Post by JPB » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:19 pm

TerryG wrote:I think a mini has sunk in to the ground just in front of your A30 ;)
I'm thinking that mini will be on the road and MOTd by this time next month.. :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

arceye

#60 Post by arceye » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:47 am

:lol:

This why you should never throw anything away, that particular mini came in kit form, one rotten and butchered mini minus engine, one solidish shell minus front end, and lots of loose parts, we kept a few bits but no one wanted the shell so I recycled it into steel stock. The roof edges had just the right curvature to ease the process of a few austin panel repairs.

As for bottles, the one I'm planning will have some gas in amongst it, but it won't be for welding with. I would get whisky, cos I like that, but these days I've noticed it gives me palpitations so I'll be being all girly and partaking in a glass or two of prosecco with the good lady :oops: