Eddypecks 1988 Golf GTI - One in Ten Million

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
eddypeck

Eddypecks 1988 Golf GTI - One in Ten Million

#1 Post by eddypeck » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:06 pm

And here's my latest.

Bought a couple of months ago and patiently waiting its turn for some attention.

Last on the road in 2007, it's a limited edition campaign model, launched in the summer of 1988 to celebrate the production of 10 million VW Golfs.

16500 were made, with 8000 staying in Germany and the rest went for export. As far as I've been able to find out, the UK ones were all GTIs and were available in a choice of only 3 metallic colours. With less than a 1000 of each colour available.

There were 3 and 5 door variants, and 8v and 16v engine choices, so if for example this was an equal split (which I'm sure it wasn't) then there was potentially only ever 250 in each combination.
1986 VW Golf GTi, 1988 VW Golf GTi, 1993 BMW e30 318i Touring Lux

jpsh120

Re: Eddypecks 1988 Golf GTI - One in Ten Million

#2 Post by jpsh120 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Looks like another good purchase, I'm surprised how good these cars still look some 30+ years since launch.

As I mentioned on another post, I had 2 Mk2's and quite fancy getting another one before the values go mad!
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

eddypeck

Re: Eddypecks 1988 Golf GTI - One in Ten Million

#3 Post by eddypeck » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:03 pm

jpsh120 wrote:Looks like another good purchase, I'm surprised how good these cars still look some 30+ years since launch.

As I mentioned on another post, I had 2 Mk2's and quite fancy getting another one before the values go mad!
I've watched the prices climb over the past few years. My other one I've had for just over 2 years now, I was looking for one that ticked all my boxes for about 2 years before I found it (as I was after a specific colour, year and spec.). It got to a point that when I saw it I had to just decide it's now or never and take the plunge. Which I'd say was the right decision as even since I've only seen 2 others for sale that would have fulfilled my requirements.

This new (obviously not new, just new to me) one was a bit of an amazing find, it always helps when a seller puts very little effort into the advert or just simply doesn't know what he's selling. The other thing for me is the reg plate. My surname is JAY so I just had to have it.

I'd say if you want one then sooner rather than later, You'll be lucky to find one running with an MOT for less than £1000 now. And what was £1500 a couple of years back is easily £2500-3000 now. There are still gems out there, just few and far between.
1986 VW Golf GTi, 1988 VW Golf GTi, 1993 BMW e30 318i Touring Lux