Eddypecks 1986 Golf GTI

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
rich.

Re: Eddypecks 1986 Golf GTI

#11 Post by rich. » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:42 pm

yes its a lovely golf.. now tell us more about the lovely ms hamilton :lol:

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:05 pm

She was clearly some sort of robot from the future, why else would her ears need to be oiled to prevent their squeaking? :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

eddypeck

#13 Post by eddypeck » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:33 pm

Thought it was time for a quick update. I didn't get the car back in time for the Owners Club Annual Meet unfortunately, but I have had it back for about a month now.

The end result after having the whole fuel injection system reconditioned and getting it set up properly on a rolling road is a car that's now performing better than when it left the factory. A recorded 120bhp, better than the listed 112bhp factory figures.

And I made it to my first show this year:
1986 VW Golf GTi, 1988 VW Golf GTi, 1993 BMW e30 318i Touring Lux

tractorman

#14 Post by tractorman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm not surprised that the car is "over performing" as they were known to take 70K miles or so to get properly bedded in and VW wouldn't wait that long to test the power output!

I always preferred the Mk2 GTi to the Mk1, 3 and 4. The Mk1 looked prettier, but the Mk2 had the niggling problems sorted - so braking and handling were much better. I think the Mk5 managed to get back to the "fun car" that the earlier ones were - my (Bluemotion) Mk5 is much more a driver's car than my Mk4 was and certainly enjoys being chucked around. It has GTi suspension (to make it more aerodynamic rather than to improve handling). It probably tells lies when emissions are tested too!

My Mk2 didn't look as tidy as yours though - even though it was only about eleven when I sold it!

kstrutt1

#15 Post by kstrutt1 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:07 pm

eddypeck wrote:Thought it was time for a quick update. I didn't get the car back in time for the Owners Club Annual Meet unfortunately, but I have had it back for about a month now.

The end result after having the whole fuel injection system reconditioned and getting it set up properly on a rolling road is a car that's now performing better than when it left the factory.
There are about 11 million other vw's doing the same now. :D

eddypeck

#16 Post by eddypeck » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:51 pm

Well I pretty much forgot all about this post. It's been a long journey since I first started and the car now looks like this:

I picked up best daily at the Mk2 Owners Club meet earlier in the year

And out today, I've managed to get a little snippet in Classic Car Weekly (Weds 19-10-2016)

That's me with the green t-shirt on.

JPB

#17 Post by JPB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Well done for getting your car and yourself into a motoring publication. I have a very bright green T-shirt which features a picture of the Venezuelan Goat Sucker, El Chupacabra, but don't wear it often enough.

On the lovely MK2 though: Where do you get these Mr Benn things to go where a VED disc would once have been found? I have a car that desperately needs one of those.
Best daily is such a good idea as it allows ordinary folk, who maybe don't spend every day polishing their tyres and aligning all of the flats on their wheel nuts, to be given something that reflects the fact that cars were built to be driven.
:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

eddypeck

#18 Post by eddypeck » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:10 pm

The Mr Ben thing was a talk disc holder I bought from a sticker stand at Bristol Volksfest, so that's the picture on the back. When it was no longer required to have a tax disc I was a little disappointed. So I photocopied the back, laminated if and cut it out as a tax disc size circle just so I could carry on using it :P

Yes, I agree best daily is a good category and usually brings a diverse selection, I'd rather drive the car than clean it, although now I have brought it to a certain standard it is rewarding to see it gleam. I was unbelievable surprised to win :shock: but over the moon with it.

I chucked it around the track at Curbourgh too...

ImageGolf Mk2 OC at Curborough Sprint by Rob Barton, on Flickr