ProtonSAVVY Drivers Window Winder rebuild (Daewoo content!!)

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
alfaSleep

ProtonSAVVY Drivers Window Winder rebuild (Daewoo content!!)

#1 Post by alfaSleep » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi All...

My Drivers side window winder was judd-judding when winding up and the glass would drop an inch!

My local Motorhog had one of these...

:shock:

..... I only want the bloody cranking cog ;)

This is the drivers side rear door Mech. Got to be the least used in any car and the glass weighs nothing... shudd B a guddun.

I had to drill out the peened over locating holes, into the main bracketry

... and see how the spring 'drags' on the large alloy bearing, tight inside the tin housing & the cog is free located to 'wiggle' on the actual winder shaft.... neat!

The drive shaft/hand crank winder is NOT connected directly to the cog. The 'bearing' is actually a large alloy boss which is running inside a coiled spring/inside the tin housing....

I see the reason here... the enemy of a 'wound up' window is any sort of unscrewing(down wind) by the cog/hand knob. By using the springs natural 'sticking', in the housing, there is a natural inertia - and that ensures the window stays put!!

Impressed by the thought & execution :thumbs:

Doorcard off, 6x 10mm bolts hold the mech...

The glass is located with nylon clips...

... and you need to align the lift arm to get the 'hidden' one out!

The original Drive Cog is poor quality and the teeth have simply worn out... However on the Matiz these are very well produced.

The Matiz gear assembly is exactly the same size/fit as Proton - just swap the whole lot BUT keeping the Savvy Winder Shaft.

Reassembly is straightforward.... with some special points to remember!
One of the screws used to put it back together is under the gear quadrant so must be flush/countersunk type.

When all the pieces were put together, back onto the Winder Mount, I found I needed to slip a 1MM washer under each hole - to shim up - where the bolts went through.

SO... that's that :mrgreen:

I now have:- the tin cover/drag spring/cog from Daewoo and just the Spindle Winder off Savvy (keeping the factory winder handle).
Working better than when I got the car brand new........

alfaSleep
'the french will always be there when they need you'...Monty ;<)

JPB

Re: ProtonSAVVY Drivers Window Winder rebuild (Daewoo conten

#2 Post by JPB » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:52 am

Were you at Halfords on Silverlink yesterday? There was one of these wee Protons in the car park and you don't see so many, just wondered. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:23 pm

mmmmmm proton :drool:

alfaSleep

#4 Post by alfaSleep » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:51 am

JPB wrote:Were you at Halfords on Silverlink yesterday? There was one of these wee Protons in the car park and you don't see so many, just wondered. :)
If it looked like this at the back....

..... but I don't shop in Halfrauds, M8

alfaSleep
Last edited by alfaSleep on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:26 am

The one I spotted was silver, that car park also serves SCS and Starbucks so the owner of the Proton might have been there to buy a new settee or an overpriced cup of Maxwell House. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

alfaSleep

#6 Post by alfaSleep » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:59 pm

... ahhh! That silver one is staff, furniture shop my guess. Been around there for a while ;)

alfaSleep