1964 Lancia Flavia Coupé

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: 1964 Lancia Flavia Coupé

#11 Post by JPB » Fri May 01, 2015 9:47 am

helping with the clutch change on a Corsa
:thumbs:

Now that's a really easy gig! Quickest clutch job ever, even easier than a Maxi or a Saab 99. Twenty six minutes in and out (including the obligatory tea break), no need to separate engine & 'box and the car can remain on its wheels but sadly, most definitely a single crewed operation so you'd either have done the whole thing or been the audience. You haven't missed much by swerving that one.
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

sierra3dr

#12 Post by sierra3dr » Mon May 04, 2015 9:21 am

Nice to see a Flavia,a change from the mainstream Classics

vulgalour

#13 Post by vulgalour » Fri May 08, 2015 6:06 pm

I'll have an update this weekend. Based some dents out, and some rust, and if the weather is good this weekend I'll be getting the Lancia outside to finish the de-fillering job on the front corners.

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Fri May 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Excellent stuff! Photographic imagery please, much of it. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

vulgalour

#15 Post by vulgalour » Sat May 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Mike and I got to the unit this weekend and we had a few hours of dry skies so I could crack on with more defillering. This is very much an outdoor job, I've made a right mess of the place doing the first stage indoors. First thing was to finish off that front wing I'd got most of the way through. I need to drop the front bumper to finish off the job fully. It's not too bad overall, the arch is at least in good order, but I'm under no illusion that there's a lot of work to put this right properly, there will be as little filler going back in as possible.

Started on the bubbles on the front door. I was hoping this would just be rust needing a repair but no, it's more filler and a tacked on repair that is undoubtedly running the whole length of the door and hiding more bodges. The other door is going to be just the same. This is hidden from the other side of the door skin by the soundproofing so I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to discover when I've dug out the rest and removed the repair.

Got underway on the other front wing and was pleasantly surprised that there was, on the whole, much less filler and a better quality of repair work. It's more that the weld is proud of the panel than the step between the pieces is too severe on this side.

Still, it hadn't stopped them trowelling enough filler in to try and eliminate the shape of the wheel arch flare so that has taken a while to dig out.

The mangled rear wing did get some dressing out on the worst of the dents. This needs a lot of work, ideally I could do with cutting it off, smoothing it out on an English Wheel, repairing the missing bits and welding it back on. That's not true, ideally I could do with a replacement rear wing but that's not really an option, so I have to do it the difficult way.

Some filler on this back corner is inevitable, though that repair has to be cut out and replaced properly, the profile of it currently is an absolute mess.

All of the bashing around on this panel dislodged a good amount of debris and revealed more repair work needed in the boot. Nice flat piece to let in at least, cutting it out for repair might give me better access for repairing the rear wing.

By the time I'd finished digging all this filler out the light was starting to go. Swept up, gave the car a proper dusting off and put it away for the day. I may get some more done tomorrow, we'll have to see.

You can see the Corsa in the background. It's getting more than a clutch change, it needs an oil seal replacing that facilitates the removal of the engine and gearbox... it's well underway now.

kingjoseph

#16 Post by kingjoseph » Tue May 26, 2015 12:37 pm

vulgalour wrote:I found one picture of the interior as was.

I also found a couple of pictures of the carpets/mats and seats.

The interior is going to be a lot of work, it needs completely redoing. Originally it was the colour of Morning Coffee biscuits. The front seat foams have dessicated. The carpets were given to a trimmer to make new ones who then discarded the originals and didn't provide replacements. The rear seat bench was given to a trimmer who only redid the base in red leather, and not brilliantly, so needs redoing in places. The parcel shelf and door cards need remaking and retrimming. The headlining was literally torn out of the car (by someone who no longer has anything to do with JMP) so I need to remake a new one from what's left. The dashboard foam has dessicated and the vinyl covering is fragile so that needs redoing, ideally in the original thermo-vac method of vinyl over foam. The dash veneer was broken by the same person that ruined the headlining.

But other than that, the interior is complete and not missing any of the difficult to find rare bits, as far as I know.

Get in touch with Richard at Leather Repair Company before you start on the inside, he is an absolute legend and will halp in anyway he can, even if you are doing it yourself he will offer all the advice he can.

http://www.leatherrepaircompany.com/

vulgalour

#17 Post by vulgalour » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Link noted for future reference, if I do end up doing the interior help and advice is always welcome on those jobs I've not tackled before. Forgot to put the other update here from a few days ago, so here it is in all its compact size.

12th August
Was at a loose end for half an hour or so today and had nothing I could do on the other cars so got a teensy bit of time in on this one for the first time in forever. Decided to make a start removing one of the wheel arches that are an over-sized panel put in from the back. I've not removed panels that have been fitted this way before and at first I tried to cut through the outer layer by the weld, this was difficult and fiddly and didn't feel right so instead I got the flapwheel out and patiently worked through the weld until a seam was visible. Usually you get a little bloom of blue just before the seam appears. Then carefully prise it apart as you go.

This method is actually very quick and, I hope, least damaging to the panels. It doesn't generate a lot of heat apart from right on the seam and since I'll need to cut back beyond that to effect a good repair anyway it shouldn't be a problem. As I've been unpicking the seam the original wing has been springing back to a more correct profile, loosing that valley that was creating the need to apply so much filler. I stopped when I hit the filler I'd not yet removed on this side. I'm going to concentrate on repairing one area at a time and the new repair will be butt welded rather than overlapped. This is a very time and labour intensive job, just as well there's no plan to make a profit on this car.

The scale of the job will only be apparent once I've completely unpicked this and discovered just how big the repair panel really is. I have to salvage as much as I can.