Series 3 Landie FFR

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
RangerNeil

Re: Series 3 Landie FFR

#71 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:52 am

Cap on there is a 9 lb one currently. I have a new OEM 10 lb one on order ad will see how that goes. Good point on the filler neck - I will check that today - thanks :)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

RangerNeil

#72 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Last of the overdue reports :-)

The Series 3 had - until very recently been behaving itself. However its due for its MOT - expired in July so I checked it over and everything worked - except the screen washers..... An hour or so's work got the passenger one working but the drivers side would not have it at all. Tried blowing through with an airline, tried squirting Coca Cola in to the line and nozzle and leaving it - nothing. So went to remove it - got the dash top off only to find by a masterpiece of design its hidden by the demister vent on the drivers side. and the only way to get the demister vent off on a Series 3 is basically strip out the instrument panel.
So - taking a command decision that it was likely to be BER I cut the body off as close as possible to the scuttle and then drilled the core out. I was right about it being BER thankfully. Got two of the later plastic nozzles on order that are due tomorrow. It will be a short job to fit those, replace the dash top and then get an MoT booked.

I am thinking that next year it will be due for a repaint - the IRR green doesn't stand up to sunlight very well, fading and flaking badly.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#73 Post by RangerNeil » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:24 pm

So - new HD washer pump and defender type washer jets are now fitted and working. You need to look really closely to tell they aren't Series ones.
Yesterday I took it down for an MoT and she passed with nor problems - very sympathetic tester to older vehicles so I'll be taking all my vehicles down there in future.

Went to tax it today - and found the V11 renewal had expired and I could not find the new, Red, V5. I had the front room upside down twice. but still no sign of it.
So it was on the phone to the DVLA this morning to order a replacement one (£25.00). I was quite impressed with the service - once you got past the "press 1 for..." business. Young lady I spoke to sorted the replacement V5 promptly and efficiently. Then I asked if I could renew the tax... I think it must be a standard spiel she had to go through about how there'd been a gap between the tax due date of July and now and did I realise I could be liable to a fine of X times the annual VED as a penalty. Then I think she read the screen and saw the Historic class (£0.00 VED) and just burst into laughter. Minute or so later I am all legal again.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#74 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Went up to Peterborough for the LRO show last weekend - trip up was great, until I arrived when a funny knocking sound started in the engine bay. Funnily enough it never repeated itself all weekend but on the way home it was not running right. lack of power on inclines and whilst it pulled OK in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, 4th was a problem with a heavy vibration felt until up past 40 mph.

Whipped out the plugs today - they al looked good for running on unleaded but the compression test revealed the issue:
#1 cyl: 100 psi
#2 cyl: 50 psi
#3 cyl: 45 psi
#4 cyl: 100 psi

So - back on is the horrible job of changing the head gasket. Not a fun job on a Series Landrover.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469