Series 3 Landie FFR

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
tractorman

Re: Series 3 Landie FFR

#31 Post by tractorman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:33 am

I wonder if tubes for tractor (front) tyres would be thicker? My big tractor has 7.50 x 16 front wheels and weighs about 2 1/2 - 3 tons (and has a fore loader that will lift about a ton) and doesn't have problems. OK, it's a little slower on the road and the tyre's sidewalls are rather rigid, but the tubes do seem thicker than many that the usual "Quick Fit" places sell.

Another possibility, if the rivets are wearing the tubes, is to put a rubber band around the well of the rim - make a strip a little wider than the well and "weld" the ends together with your preferred tyre cement and they should stop the rivets rubbing the tube.

It may be cheaper than buying new wheels and tyres!

kstrutt1

#32 Post by kstrutt1 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:57 pm

I had to go to defender rims on my series for the same reason, in fact i am sure there are a pair in the loft still, you can have them if you like, collection from chelmsford or dunton.
kevin

tractorman

#33 Post by tractorman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:36 am

It could be the tyres that are causing the problem. I have just remembered my Minx had tubes fitted when I bought it and I had several punctures before the boss of the garage happened to pass by and ask why the duck I had tubes fitted when the tyres were tubeless. He said that the insides of tubeless tyres tend to be rougher as they aren't designed for tubes. Took the tube out and the tyre wasn't punctured - the air had been coming out around the valve and I didn't have any more punctures after that.

I noticed that my Landy has tubeless tyres (and there are larger valves available for the older wheels), so perhaps that might solve the problem at a reasonable cost! Incidentally, I noticed the tubeless valves when I was blowing the tyre up after using the Easy-bleed (at lower than normal tyre pressure). The valve has split and needs replacing - I found the larger valves on eBay and may have to replace more than one: I haven't checked the others yet!

JPB

#34 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:56 am

tractorman wrote:It could be the tyres that are causing the problem. I have just remembered my Minx had tubes fitted when I bought it and I had several punctures before the boss of the garage happened to pass by and ask why the duck I had tubes fitted when the tyres were tubeless. He said that the insides of tubeless tyres tend to be rougher as they aren't designed for tubes. Took the tube out and the tyre wasn't punctured - the air had been coming out around the valve and I didn't have any more punctures after that.

I noticed that my Landy has tubeless tyres (and there are larger valves available for the older wheels), so perhaps that might solve the problem at a reasonable cost! Incidentally, I noticed the tubeless valves when I was blowing the tyre up after using the Easy-bleed (at lower than normal tyre pressure). The valve has split and needs replacing - I found the larger valves on eBay and may have to replace more than one: I haven't checked the others yet!
I used to have exactly that same issue with Renault 12s. I had new Michelin MXs fitted to my blue one and the fitter used tubes simply because they were already there from the car's outgoing (tube type, smooth on the inside, ancient and only just worn out at 40,000 miles) Michelin ZXs, but strangely, there was no technical reason not to use tubless tyres on the car's wheels, without the tubes as per the tyres' intended use. Another thing that I've seen sometimes, which can cause problems with tubes even when fitted to the tube type tyres, is that some fitters don't make sure that the valve comes through its hole in perfect orientation, so the stem of the valve then sticks out at a slight angle and can chafe against the rim with consequences fatal to the tube. I wouldn't mind but as long as the tube is partially inflated before the tyre has been blasted into its final location, then it's possible to manipulate the tube to make sure that all is straight.
Tyres with tubes are so rarely seen these days that it's hardly surprising to realise that we have whole generations of tyre fitters who are totally unaware of such basic things. I'm guessing that the typical young fitter won't have tubes in the 245/30%/18" rubber on his/her Vauxhall Corsa?
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

suffolkpete

#35 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:26 pm

JPB wrote: I used to have exactly that same issue with Renault 12s. I had new Michelin MXs fitted to my blue one and the fitter used tubes simply because they were already there from the car's outgoing (tube type, smooth on the inside, ancient and only just worn out at 40,000 miles) Michelin ZXs, but strangely, there was no technical reason not to use tubeless tyres on the car's wheels, without the tubes as per the tyres' intended use. ;)
I'll take your word for that, but it seemed to be quite common practice to fit tubed tyres to French cars. Mrs Pete's Pug 104 had tubes all round and I've seen them on Citroen GSs. I didn't mind, I could repair punctures myself. I discovered while doing this that the word for inner tube is the same as that for bedroom in French Spanish and Italian, could be a recipe for confusion :D
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

RangerNeil

#36 Post by RangerNeil » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:01 pm

Thanks for the info guys!!

End solution for me is I have found a set of 5 tubeless Defender rims and I will lay up the Series rims until I can find a set of Deestones or similar.
I am lucky in that my local tyre place is old school - a little 4 man unit in a parade of shops and I've been going there for years. So they know the dodges with tubes - the only thing they didn't do. really, is use sh*t loads of talc because they didn't have any in stock.

I'm picking up the tubeless rims - - a set of 5 with good tyres on for £300 in a week or so's time.

And when the weather finally breaks for the better I need to have the front wheels off to look at the brakes - get them sorted ready for it's MoT in April.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

rich.

#37 Post by rich. » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:20 pm

suffolkpete wrote:
JPB wrote: I used to have exactly that same issue with Renault 12s. I had new Michelin MXs fitted to my blue one and the fitter used tubes simply because they were already there from the car's outgoing (tube type, smooth on the inside, ancient and only just worn out at 40,000 miles) Michelin ZXs, but strangely, there was no technical reason not to use tubeless tyres on the car's wheels, without the tubes as per the tyres' intended use. ;)
I'll take your word for that, but it seemed to be quite common practice to fit tubed tyres to French cars. Mrs Pete's Pug 104 had tubes all round and I've seen them on Citroen GSs. I didn't mind, I could repair punctures myself. I discovered while doing this that the word for inner tube is the same as that for bedroom in French Spanish and Italian, could be a recipe for confusion :D
chambre a air.. :D

JPB

#38 Post by JPB » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:42 pm

:? Bonnet de douche, Rodders, bonnet de douche! :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#39 Post by rich. » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:06 am

:lol: i googled it :lol:

RangerNeil

#40 Post by RangerNeil » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:47 pm

All ran well up till the trip to the NEC last October. Mechanically it was still all well but as I drove into hall B for the show I got a puncture in the O/S/R. Swapped it for the spare only to find on the Friday morning that the O/S/F had gone down. Couldn't find any local tyre place prepared to repair punctures in inner tubes so it cost £90 to call out a commercial mobile unit. On the way home the O/S/R rear went again so I put the spare on - only for that to go about 30 minutes later. Cue RAC recovery unit home again..... First guy had only minutes left on the tacho so he dropped me in a services. next guy had been given the wrong info by control and arrived expecting a civilian 88" model. Somewhat shorter and lighter than a Military 109" FFR..... Long shot was he decided to load it and see what happened. it rode OK around the car park although cornering was a bowel loosening experience. :D Got home OK though and I've sourced a set of Defender tubeless rims as I am getting a bit tired of inner tubes going.

The other issue that popped up was on the approach to the halls the red warnng light for the brakes popped on and off. I checked the brake reservoir during the show and the fluid levels had dropped slightly so topped the reservoir up.. Since then the weather ha been crap , not really allowing me to get the wheels off and have a look. Today was warm and dry so I jacked the front end up and the first thing noticed was staining on the N/S/F hub. Got the wheel off and the problem was obvious. Now the problem is none of the pat number in the ISPL are matching up with anything on offer by Craddocks or paddocks!!!

Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3