Series 3 Landie FFR

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
RangerNeil

Re: Series 3 Landie FFR

#41 Post by RangerNeil » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:48 pm

New parts now all here. Can't help thinking the packaging for the two new flexi-hoses was a touch of the over-kill though!! :D
If the weather holds then tomorrow will be fitting day. :D

Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

RangerNeil

#42 Post by RangerNeil » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:48 pm

Made a start on the passenger side today- managed to get the old cruddy shoes off (not sure whether to bin them or get them cleaned and relined!), bot the cylinder securing nuts loosened and on of the 3 rigid unions undone. The other two are too badly rounded as is the bleed screw so I've ordered new rigid lines from Paddocks - for both sides - and when they arrive I will cut the old ones off. The old flexi-hose has also been replaced and the drum cleaned out using WD40 and brake cleaner. Then rain stopped play so the drum was just slipped back into place and the wheel put back with just two nuts. If it's dry again tomorrow I will strip the drivers side down also and then just wait for the rigid lines to arrive.

Question for other Series owners - how are your cylinders oriented?? Mine are at the 12 o'clock and 6'o'clock position on the back plate - but the parts manual shows them at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. Oddly - the part diagram makes more sense as the rigid feed to the second cylinder on mine is hard against the bottom of the steering knuckle and cannot be removed with the cylinder in position,
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#43 Post by RangerNeil » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:23 pm

And the work goes on....
Had to shoot out this morning to pick up 5 Defender rims (tubeless) with nearly new tyres on to get around the puncture situation + a replacement tyre for the one that got fooked on the motorway coming home from the NEC. So I didn't get to start work till got 13:30.
Anyways - got the front jacked up again and the drivers side wheel off then started to remove the hub. First two screws came out fine - screw #3 would not budge - must have spent nearly an hour trying to shift it Tried an impact driver but that didn't work. Tried the screw driver in the slot and giving the handle an almighty whack. That didn't work, Tried punching it around. That didn't work at which point due to a lack of sleep and other factors the fuse blew and I lost my rag.... Grabbed a drill and some bits and started drilling the screw out thinking I could suffer the loss of 1 out of 3 screws,. I had just worked up to a 6.5mm when the drill stuck, As I twisted the check in reverse to free it I noticed the screw move too - so out came the screw driver again and the screw came out easy as anything. I can only assume the heat and vibration of the drills had done the trick. New screw on order - screw itself £0.16, Postage £5.00. Go figure.... This is the way the screw ended up:

[Image

With the drum off the shoes cam off fairly quickly although as yet I am not sure how the hell I am going to put the return springs back on when I reassemble the system. All the cylinder retaining nuts came off fairly easily as did two of the three rigid line connectors. Third would not budge with an open jaw spanner so I cut the line as I have new ones on order and slipped a ring spanner over - that freed it that so in a short space of time the cylinders were out too. I just need to clean up the back plates and make sure the snail cams are free to move and the drivers side is ready to reassemble. I also replaced the flexi hose so that is ready to be connected to the rigid lines when they arrive.

Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

JPB

#44 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:57 pm

RangerNeil wrote: I am not sure how the hell I am going to put the return springs back on when I reassemble the system
Before you put the shoes on the backplates, that's the how and the when in one hit! ;) Then use something like a moderately lengthy screwdriver as the lever to lift the ends of the shoes into their respective slots. That's the stress-free way and once the ends of the shoes are located, then fit the beehive springs, again a job for a moonlighting screwdriver that fancies a change from its day job.
:)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

RangerNeil

#45 Post by RangerNeil » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:22 pm

Rain stopped the play today.... :(

I was planning on getting the wheel cylinders out of the passenger side, cleaning both back plates up and making sure the snail cams were all working OK. Instead it rained and rained. I managed in the one break we had to get the replacement wheels out of the back of the RangeRover and transferred through into the back garden for painting.
Next dry spell will see them getting a coat of NATO green paint so they can dry thoroughly before being fitted.

After the rain started again I was feeling a bit peeved and suddenly remembered I needed to rebuild the heater blower. Readers will recall that on the 5th Feb I posted the pictures of the reworked RHD blower casing so I got that out together with the donor unit - a brand new LHD unit. I drilled out the rivets on the resistor unit and unscrewed the fan and control pack from the LDH one and fitted these into the the RHD, riveting the resistor and cardboard cover back into place as before. This is now ready to be fitted to the vehicle. - spare will have to come off the bonnet and and the bonnet propped up in the vertical to give the access but at long last I will have a heater blower to at least try and demist the screen.
Assuming of course I am not jinxed and the LHD fan doesn't suck the air out of the cab and blow it out of the wing vent!!

Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#46 Post by RangerNeil » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:25 pm

JPB wrote:
RangerNeil wrote: I am not sure how the hell I am going to put the return springs back on when I reassemble the system
Before you put the shoes on the backplates, that's the how and the when in one hit! ;) Then use something like a moderately lengthy screwdriver as the lever to lift the ends of the shoes into their respective slots. That's the stress-free way and once the ends of the shoes are located, then fit the beehive springs, again a job for a moonlighting screwdriver that fancies a change from its day job.
:)
"Beehive springs"??? The only springs on mine - both sides were the two return springs, one for each shoe..... Up until the passenger side wheel cylinders sprung a leak all was good.
What are beehive springs and where do they go??
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

JPB

#47 Post by JPB » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:00 am

They're a type of hold down spring which sits in a hole in the blade section of each shoe, their inboard ends hook into pins that are fitted through the backplate from behind. IIRC, LRs only have these at the rear..
Once I spotted the words "snail cams" I realised that you are of course talking about the front brakes. Sorry, my confused head seems to be fitted today..

:oops: :oops: :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

RangerNeil

#48 Post by RangerNeil » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 pm

JPB wrote:They're a type of hold down spring which sits in a hole in the blade section of each shoe, their inboard ends hook into pins that are fitted through the backplate from behind. IIRC, LRs only have these at the rear..
Once I spotted the words "snail cams" I realised that you are of course talking about the front brakes. Sorry, my confused head seems to be fitted today..

:oops: :oops: :oops:
No probs - that's me most days :-)

So - we had lovely hot weather today :D
So I managed to get the two wheel cylinder out on the passenger side (the two that were fooked to begin with). I had to but the rigid lines to the top cylinder to get a ring spanner on the unions. Luckily the one that comes out at an angle did - reluctantly - unscrew. The other one would not but at least I could pull the cylinder out. On the bottom one the rigid union had undone but the bleed nipple was stuck solid. In the end I had to use a supa-wrench on it - which quite nicely sheared it off level with the cylinder. so that one came out too. Once they were out and the rigid line linking them removed I cleaned all the crap off the back plate so it is ready for reassembly. Snail cams got another dose of WD40 but I think tomorrow a good squirt of 3in1 is called for as one at least is a bitch to move.

I had just packed all the tools away as I could go no further without the new rigid lines when the parcel delivery guy turned up with a box from Paddocks. Opened it after I had eaten lunch - and its the new rigid lines!

Tomorrow I will be rebuilding the brakes which will just leave the issue of bleeding to resolve. Anyone hearing load screams of pain in the Dagenham are will know I am having problems with the return springs!! :D :D
This afternoon I spent giving the 5 tubeless rims their first coat of NATO green on the inner faces. Looking good if I do say so myself.

Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#49 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:52 pm

Day started out nice so I cracked on with the brakes - this time in re-assembly mode. And as might be expected it wasn't as simple as it should have been. First off none of the part numbers on the cylinders matched up with the ones shown in the ISPL It took 3 attempts at positioning them to get them right.. Then the pre-formed connecting pipe that links the two cylinders was found to be the wrong profile (Britpart - need I say more...) and both sides had to be reworked to clear the bottom of the front suspension/knuckle. Even now I am not sure they aren't going to rub as the bend radius was just not tight enough or close enough to the union.

The link from the flexi-hose to the top cylinder was supplied un-formed so it took a little bit of careful hand bending to try to match the profile of the old ones. But in time all the cylinders were in place with the lines connected and bleed nipples fitted.

The actual fitting of the shoes was a lot less fraught than anticipated - although I did manage to acquire a chronic back ache from heaving on a long screwdriver to get the fixed ends to slot in against the return springs. Compared to the UAZ they were easy though :) And the drums slipped back one first time - no need for fine adjusting the shoes with a hammer :)

I'd just got them one when the weather changed and the rain started again - and hasn't stopped since. So right now the Landie is still up on the jacks and needs the brakes bled and adjusted until either the daughter Mk1 or the boyfriend Mk IV is free to help me. On the topic of adjusting them - there is one more problem. The front adjuster on the drivers side has frozen solid. Looks like it has done this in the past as the hex-head is starting to round off - right now it is soaked in 3in1 oil to try and free it up. Finger crossed.

Unfortunately the rain put paid to any chance of finishing off painting the new wheels.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

kevin

#50 Post by kevin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:12 am

Good work!
Having worked a lot on my Series 2 Lightweight (used to do lots of greenlaning in it so very muddy etc) I found that on re-assembly of the brakes inc the threads of the bleed nipples etc, a little dab of copper grease always kept the mechs working even when immersed in all sorts of goo and made the subsequent strip down and re-assembly a whole lot easier.

Kevin