what should i get....

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
vulgalour

Re: what should i get....

#11 Post by vulgalour » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Find out what it is about the MG B GT that appeals to you and work from there. Everything can be got for them and while they will rot every bit of metal you're likely to need and some you're not are all available off the shelf. They really are the easiest classic to keep on the road.

If, however, you're after something older because it's more affordable then it pays to look at not just the 70s offerings but everything up to and well into the 90s, all of which are eligible for classic policy. Even the Vauxhall Corsa I recently acquired will go on a classic policy! You don't get much more practical or easy to work on than that either.

Work out what you want, then see what fits the bill. Then investigate parts supply to see if it's viable. It's entirely right to buy this one with your head rather than your heart, it should give you hands-on experience of just what's involved in running a classic regularly.

I've noticed recently that there is increasing support for Rootes group cars, things like Hillman Hunters and Minxes. Cheap to acquire, easy to run and with a wealth of parts-bin action makes for generally trouble free motoring. They also come in all the shapes and sizes a young family might want and have performance offerings.

kstrutt1

#12 Post by kstrutt1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:08 pm

How about a lotus excel, sporty but the rear seat is reasonable , mostly toyota parts so pretty reliable a well.

tineca

#13 Post by tineca » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Nice mk1 cavalier 4 door on ebay. Been stood and engine seized. Theses have child seat anchor points as I fitted one 22 years ago!

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:25 pm

If rear belt fitting is the main criterion, then all Volvos from the start of 140 production definitely have captives and quite possibly earlier 120s had them too but I've yet to own one of these so can't say for sure.
Dolomite shells have all of the captives, same is true of the FWD version of that shell (1500 with one carb) but I'm not sure about the 1300.
Allegros have them, and all Maestros/Montegos, so there's a good selection and it's no great hardship fitting captives in other cars. I had them in one of my Oxford VIs and in the A60, just a case of whipping the fuel tank out to reach the rear bulkhead and the underside of the shelf for welding spreaders in and the welds don't even need to be that good since the bolts keep the anchors secure once the kit has been installed.

A GM CiH engine - ex MK1 Cavalier - seen earlier:

J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

ampwhu

#15 Post by ampwhu » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:33 pm

I'd second a rover p6.

cant beat that v8 grumble :mrgreen: