jase's little red garage find midget

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
sheehan879

jase's little red garage find midget

#1 Post by sheehan879 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:22 am

Hi guys, this is my little red midget that was found in a garage where it has been sitting for the last 15 years.

Work will start soon.

rich.

Re: jase's little red garage find midget

#2 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:25 am

good luck mate, plenty of pics please! :D

sheehan879

#3 Post by sheehan879 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:03 am

Under all that dirt the paint is in pretty good nick.

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:12 am

Excellent, very similar to mine, except a year or two older (mine's a RWA 1275).

Post back if there's anything you need to know about getting it going etc. - I did a full nut-and-bolt and back-to-bare-metal restoration on mine a few years back.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:20 am

have you joined a club yet? i can recommend this one..
http://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/

sheehan879

#6 Post by sheehan879 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Yes I have already joined the MG owners club. I am hoping I can give the fluids a good flush through and not need to do much to it to get it going. It was said it was in perfect working order when it was laid up.

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 pm

you might get lucky but all the rubbers etc may have perished. check out your brake pipes too.. i dont want to see you in a hedge :D

MG Mal

#8 Post by MG Mal » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:56 pm

A series lump known for "sticking" in the bores after long hibernation.

Before turning over under power, pour some "hot oil" down the bores via the plug holes, and after five mins turn over by hand.
Not only will it un-gum the rings it will clean the bores and help loosen any sludgey deposits in the sump.

Follow through with standard flushing procedure and top up with quality oil, then she'll be good to go.

sheehan879

#9 Post by sheehan879 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:29 am

Thank for the advice, I removed most of the engine ancillaries today and was suprised how clean everything was. The head is the next thing to come of, I will be sending it away to convert it to unleaded.

GHT

#10 Post by GHT » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:49 pm

rich. wrote:Check out your brake pipes too.. i dont want to see you in a hedge :D
From experience, I can tell you that this is essential. You need to examine your brake pipes whilst they are under pressure, any expansion can be a sign that a pipe has perished. The result is that brake fluid will leak between the brakes and the drums, or discs, if it's a tad more modern. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you do get a warning if a pipe is leaking. When you apply the brake it feels like you are trying to stop on a slippery surface. That's when the fluid has made it's way into the brake. If you are planning to have an MOT, brake pipes, their condition and operating quality, are part of the MOT. But don't let me put you off, that's a gem of a Midget that you have there. I hope that you have many happy hours of motoring in it.