'Zeb' - (Not a Classic) Bloggy!

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Luxobarge

Re: 'Zeb' - (Not a Classic) Bloggy!

#131 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't use it on gravel, it needs a decent flat surface plus gravel would probably allow it to move around a bit, whcih will give inaccurate readings.

You could put some slabs or a large sheet of wood on top of the gravel and use it on that though.

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#132 Post by JPB » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:46 pm

One slab/ pair of slabs for each side though, as one wheel raised in a vehicle with strut suspension will - although maintaining camber and track width - effectively shorten the rack and decrease actual toe-in compared to that read at the gauge**. Yes, the effect will be minimal if you only raise it by, say, an Inch or so but better to make certain that the wheels are at the same level before doing the measurement. ;)

**Assuming that the rack is on the bulkhead side of the front hubs, if it's in front, then you'll increase toe in.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Paul240480

#133 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Okay, job done. After seeing it done, I really should be a bit more confident :oops: . As Luxo said it was quite straight forward. Chris does'nt do the tracking.....yet . He is looking into getting a 'kit' but a tyre fitting machine 'popped up' at a bargain, so he is saving for a balancing machine to go with it to add to his list of 'services'.

So I need to make an appointment at Euromaster in nearby Redon. They did my 240 after some work I did & I was quite impressed as they did a 4-wheel alignment do-dar :D . Gave a 'print-out' & offered a free 're-check' at 1500km max.

Oh, it took Chris just over the hour. 35€ + 5€ for fuel, not gonna grump at that :!:

Paul240480

#134 Post by Paul240480 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:16 am

...................and tracking done too. Didn't go to Euromaster as intended. They wouldn't answer phone, or reply to email so found a contact page online and the reply was. "get yourself up there and make an appointment then" Classic French attitude to 'customer care'. Told 'em I'd go elsewhere. Found a place who gave me courtesy car foc, to get me home for the couple of hours they had Zeb' for. :D

Paul240480

#135 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:33 pm

They say things happen in '3's' :roll:

1) The other day whilst swmbo was un-expectedly taking daughters dog to vets (snapped a dew claw clean off) a tractor threw a stone up & it put a neat crack in the windscreen :roll: So had to arrange an insurance replacement. Zeb' is at the fitters as I type, picking 'him' up tomorrow.

2) Then, despite having replaced handbrake shoes, rear discs and pads in April 2010 the handbrake is playing up again. It just holds on a forwards facing on a slope, but if rear on, it rolls away. A common fault on these where the handbrake shoe linings come away from the shoe itself :( . Even if OE items are used they do fail. I fitted Bendix shoes in 2010, I have yet to investigate to see what exactly has happened this time.

3) Then yesterday swmbo leaving for work mid afternoon, shot back across our parking area totally forgetting that 'Mick the Builder' had his Landrover Defender TD5 parked up on the far side........ yep went straight onto the end of the Defenders bumper..... have you seen those things? Almost like hitting the 'H' end of an RSJ :!:
Defender 1 Zeb' 0 :roll: Yep no damage to Defender. Zeb' has a smashed lower rear light, the plastic trim bit below the lower light is trashed & the lower lip of the boot door on the 'corner' has been bent inwards 90 degrees :roll:

Paul240480

#136 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Well, I hope you all had a good Crimble & New Year and that things are 'back to normal' :D

Zeb has his new windscreen :D

For the rear light....Image
(Bodged temp repair on light lens & first go at 'un-bending' tailgate and a smidge of 'not yet sanded' filler'!)

I found on parts for Volvo that lower section of tail light was £40. So not too pricey.
But then I saw a post on the Volvo forum of a gent breaking his V70. The lights and the plastic trim directly below the lower clusters were still available.... after a short time a delivered price of £80 for the lot was agreed, this included for both sides, the upper & lower light clusters, bulbs and holders and the collared fixing nuts, which are handy to have as spares, as it is all too easy to lose some down into the 'black hole' that is cunningly there!
I have fitted both of the 'new' lower clusters as the opposite one had faded big time & both 'new' ones are good and shiney. They came from a red V70 so those trims on both sides, for now are red.

So all is well in Zeb world then........ Well :evil: no. I popped out earlier today and the power steering was making a 'groaning' noise when ever the wheel was turned. Must be time for a fluid change I thought to myself.
Back home a quick fluid level check and :o well below minimum! no signs of a leak from the reservoir or pump. So a look underneath and the fluid is all over the off-side of the wishbone. I whipped the wheel off & it appears to be leaking right where the steering column enter the rack. I am hoping it is just a hose that has perished..... Mobile mec' is dropping by tomorrow..........

The handbrake is back in working order, just needed a bit of a clean up & re-adjusting :D . I was pleased to see that the Bendix shoes were holding out :D

JPB

#137 Post by JPB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Paul240480 wrote:.....it appears to be leaking right where the steering column enter the rack.
I'd have money on that being nothing more complex or costly than the oil seal immediately above the pinion bearing, required on PAS equipped cars as the fluid isn't only the hydraulic medium, but also the pinion lubricant and, because it under system pressure - unlike the gear oil or grease in an unassisted rack - it needs that lip seal.

Fingers crossed but hurry & sort it or they'll never come uncrossed again. ;)

I can't remember whether the bearing housing is pinned to the pinion tube on these or is cast into the tube, if the former, it's simply a case of removing the bearing housing and popping the old seal out and the new in. If the latter, prepare for a slightly larger bill. Either way; it's a simple enough fix for anyone who ever had a gearchange seal to do in an older mini. 8-)

One pedantic observation if I may: isn't the left the offside in a LHD country? :D Yeah, on way to cloakroom... :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Paul240480

#138 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:54 pm

JPB wrote:
Paul240480 wrote:.....it appears to be leaking right where the steering column enter the rack.
One pedantic observation if I may: isn't the left the offside in a LHD country? :D Yeah, on way to cloakroom... :oops:
Hehe, tis indeed, but as Zeb is RHD 'old habits die hard' :roll:

Fingers crossed for the 'easy option' ;)

Paul240480

#139 Post by Paul240480 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:55 pm

Right it is not leaking from the column to rack connection. Appears to be from inside the rubber bellows, weeping out of the offside of it.

Gave it blast with my jet washer today to allow me to see for sure. Will look again tomorrow in daylight .

I registered with 1st parts website and Salvo (who get great reports) in Derby have 2nd hand rack for £100 delivered with 3 months warranty. Tempted.

Have also seen this stuf of the bay of fleas: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Steerin ... 51a5b1e228

Have been in touch with a chap with an 850 who has had 14 months of sucsess with this gunk.

So I think I'm gonna give that a go, as the Frenchy MOT is due in March. Thinking it'll get me that far at least , then depending on the outcome of the test I can decide how much to invest on 'ole Zeb. :D

Paul240480

#140 Post by Paul240480 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:41 pm

.....following on with the leaky rack issue. I found this stuff: Image
If the leak is via a joint, then this stuff is supposed to sort it. A chap on the Volvo forum has had some in his for 14 months and all is well. Another has just used the Wynns version with 'so far so good' result.

I sucked my old fluid out today & have put in a 50/50 mix (I bought the bigger 'Truck size' so can add more if needed and also have some 'spare' if the 240 decides to 'throw his toys out'). :D

Whilst tinkering and as swmbo said that Zeb' has been turning over for longer than norm' before firing, I decided to have a clean up of the Dizzy/Rotor & plug check. I also replaced the HT leads with a set I bought some time ago. The old ones were Bougicord (OE) , my new ones are after market :oops: ..... Anyhow, the Bougicords did not appear to be arcing when I had a quick look in the dark, but the leads were very stiff,very little flexibility left, so probably about due. I have no idea when or if ever they had been changed...... they have done 50k since I've owned Zeb'

I was pleased with the state of the cap, this is a Parts for Volvo job' and after 20k it is like this:
The rotor was a little cruddy, but a quick clean soon bought back a 'shine'.
Fingers crossed for the rack ;)