'Zeb' - (Not a Classic) Bloggy!

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Paul240480

Re: 'Zeb' - (Not a Classic) Bloggy!

#201 Post by Paul240480 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:25 pm

JPB wrote:
set value 3500€ (I'm paying £1500 8-) )
:shock:

Is that not a wee bit, erm, naughty? Just as well that representatives of the motor insurance industry never, ever read classic car fora isn't it. :lol:

Hehe, well I told Elodie (insurance lady) the price I was paying, after she asked why I was going back to UK again to buy a car. She was gob-smacked at the price. Her other half works in the Volvo garage at St Nazaire, so she knows that it'd be +\- 6500€ for one the same here (in fact some UK Indies have them up at £6k) . I left her to do the quote and she put the 3500€ value on it. :D

Paul240480

#202 Post by Paul240480 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:56 pm

So the job list seems to go on. You may recall a few pages back me trying to replace split cv joint boots and busting my tools ...... My Mec did it for me in the end.

Well today reversing on full-ish lock..... Click,click,click. bums! Seems those cvs have had enough. Parts for Volvo do the outer joints at £51 a side where as Volvo only sell the whole shaft at considerably more......

rich.

#203 Post by rich. » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:51 pm

how are you getting on registering the new toy??

Paul240480

#204 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:46 am

rich. wrote:how are you getting on registering the new toy??
Hi Rich, sorry for delay seems I am not getting email notifications of replies again.....

The new toy has been christened The Welshmobile!

As you will see, re-registering is complete. That went very well. Controle Technique passed with no advisories. Didn,t need to replace headlamps, which was very unexpected....... Also the tester told me that a Certificate of Conformity was not required for this as Rubrique K est Completée (Section K on log book) Volvo France told me that was rubbish and 'no way' will it get registered minus the CofC.... for which they wanted 145 euros! Well I decided to give it go without & cot my carte-grise (log-book) with no question..... I informed, out of courtesy the lady at Volvo homologation....... who told me I had been 'lucky', lol.

However it's not all been plain sailing. Just before crimbo, the day I had the plates fitted. In St Nazaire, just loaded up with prezzies for daughter. Pulled away and BANG, like someone had hit the underside with a lump hammer. Handbrake shoes had delaminated, locked up the hub, the the BANG, was the stop being snapped off.

This normally means a new hub at anything up to 1000 quids worth after parts, labour and tracking! I found some clever sausage has made a 'stop repair kit' . Mine was not to busted up so a kit and new shoes and springs and recovering the handbrake cable, which had shot up inside the outer sheath when the acuater snapped sorted that........ Then the heater blower gave out. That turned out to be the rheostat, which was a job involving contortionism done mainly in the passenger foorwell.

Been back on the road about 2 weeks since those snags..... Good job I kept Tank, as that meant we both had transport whilst TW was laid up!

Would start a blog here, but was 'pushing it' age wise with the 850......

Paul240480

#205 Post by Paul240480 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:08 am

Zeb has not been used since noticing the tear in that boot. I contacted the suppliers of the 'stretchy boots' my mobile mec fitted for me. I knew they would no longer be in guarantee, being over 2 years an 20k miles. Just emailed for their thoughts really. Well, they apologised for 'early failure' and a new one is in the post! Great service.

However, having seen my mec' struggle big-time I have ordered a Bailcast split boot, tempted to try that but will clean up the joint to see how 'poorly' it is. If it is possible to tell........ Then go from there. Lucky that the 'new' toy is behaving & my 'back up' 'Tank' (240) has 'saved the day'. So pleased I kept 'him'.

So moving on. I decided to inspect the handbrake shoes on Zeb at the weekend. A known fail point on these, like in the pic of the V70 above. I replaced all the rear brakes sometime back after the shoes delaminated, but had been getting a bit of brake squeal after releasing the handbrake. As per it was the off-side that was 'sticking' a tad. Just needed a clean up to free things, good old brake cleaner.

But, whilst the wheel on that side was off, I noticed a BIG split in the tread on its inner side!

I knew the fronts were getting worn, but looks like I need 4 now! Mind the rears were Event ones, fitted in 2009 in Jersey. They have done nearly 60+ k and tread wise are still very good, so can't really grumble.

Fronts are Kumho Ecsta and have done well over 20k. These do 'eat' fronts.

Going online for the new rubber (again) Considering Maxxis 'all-season' tyres this time from Oponeo online shop.

Paul240480

#206 Post by Paul240480 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:23 pm

Well, both the stretch-a-boot freebie and the Bailcast 'sticky-boot' arrived.

I did go with the sticky-boot.

You can make out the glued join in the pic.

I wiped out as much of the old grease as poss. I used some spray brake cleaner on it too, no idea if that was a good idea or not. But since re-packing it with the fresh grease and securing the boot I've not had any noise from the joint. Hard lock forwards and reverse, all quiet...... time will tell.

I have received my 4 new tyres from Oponeo. I did go for the Maxxis 'All-Season' ones. Should be getting fitted next Monday, all being well.

Finally the handbrake is rock solid and not sticking at all :thumbs:

Paul240480

#207 Post by Paul240480 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:50 pm

All has been well in 'Zeb World'. Decided an oil and filter change was due, so cracked on with that today.

I did notice that the lower (engine) tie-bar looked 'past its best'.

You can see the crack in the rubber in the next one:

I've ordered a replacement from Mister-Auto over here, which for once was cheaper than one from a UK site. Due to 22 quid delivery charge. Lemforder, tho' not OE.

Paul240480

#208 Post by Paul240480 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:23 pm

..... and today I fitted that tie-bar. Very easy!
^^^Just used the socket to release the back most bolts, then went onto ratchet spanner, as the wrench ends up pushing into those two pipes as the bolt undoes...... as I found!!!!

Paul240480

#209 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:36 pm

A well overdue update!!!!!!

Firstly sorry for the loss of the pics, Photobucket 'threw a wobbler' and lost ALL of my photos :twisted: . Their support was hopeless :roll: .

Secondly, ZEB has gone to pastures 'new'. Sold over here to an English chap as a load lugger cos he doesn't like getting his XF dirty :lol: . I paid 850 quid in 09', got 850 euros so quite happy with that :thumbs:

Thirdly, I've got a replacement....... Must start another 'bloggy' :?

gazza82

#210 Post by gazza82 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Paul240480 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:36 pm
Firstly sorry for the loss of the pics, Photobucket 'threw a wobbler' and lost ALL of my photos :twisted: . Their support was hopeless :roll:
You aren't alone .. PB encouraged everyone to use them then held them to ransom with their overnight request for $$$s .. and were surprised when they got the feedback they did on social media .. imgur are still hosting for free .. but for how long?
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck