Rover P6 3500 repaint

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
jpsh120

Re: Rover P6 3500 repaint

#11 Post by jpsh120 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:18 am

Very nice, that colour suits the car well :thumbs:

I have to smile at your quote relating to the car's mileage - "quite low at 21,600".

For a 42 year old car I think it is fair to say it's low :lol:
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

SirTainleyBarking

#12 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:05 pm

9.89 miles per week. Hell even I walk more than that :lol:
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

Grumpy Northener

Rover P6 3500

#13 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sun May 03, 2015 9:28 am

So for various reasons (All will become clear shortly) I find myself between 'Modern' modes of transport - I don't have the Hilux anymore but I do have a new vehicle on order which is due at the end of this month - in the interim I have pressed the Rover into service - it needs to do a 250 mile round trip each week (started last week) until the new modern arrives - Everything was fine until mid week when it developed the odd cough & splutter when it was missing - On inspection I could not find anything obvious - all the ignition parts are pretty new (within the last 1,500 miles -although they maybe several years old) - Returning home Friday - all was well until the miss started and gradually got worse which resulted in the engine dying on the M4 and in the roadworks :o although I managed to get the car out the lanes and on to a slip road to a maintenance compound - no sooner had I put the bonnet up that the free roadworks recovery truck turned up - insisted that the car went onto the truck immediately and that the car got dropped at the next services (Chieveley) - so once at the services I had the bonnet up - my thoughts of fuel vaporisation were dismissed - I checked for a spark at the points which was ok and tried again but it still would not start - everything else was in order - I checked again with the distributor cap off - and not sure what made me do it has the engine bay was quite warm and everything was bone dry but I sprayed WD 40 around the inside of the cap and around the points - put the cap back on - turned the key and the car sprung into life - It did not miss a beat for the remaining 15 miles home. My thoughts were that the distributor cap had a non visible crack that with high temperatures under the bonnet was opening up and allowing tracking of the spark.

I replaced the cap, points, condenser & rotor arm yesterday and then went for a run - all appears to be well and the car goes really well without any hint of the previous fault which is good on both parts that the problem is resolved and that I don't have to worry about hiring a car for Tuesday to get me where I need to be :D
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

arceye

#14 Post by arceye » Sun May 03, 2015 10:49 am

That car is absolutely *ecking beautiful :drool:

I love these but I would like a 2200 TC as I had one just before I got married in '92

Every day use is great though your tale reminds me how with all my cars in the eighties / early nineties ( 70's vehicles in the main) I always carried emery paper, WD40, and a few tools, I'm never late anywhere as I also learnt to set off at least 20 mins early just in case a sudden stop and tinker was required. This seemed to happen at least once a week whatever I was driving :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#15 Post by Grumpy Northener » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:11 am

So just a quick update on the Rover which has seen sterling service - and I have crept a few miles on to it - now just over 23,000 from new - but much to my shame it has been relegated to outside so I can utilise the workshop for the business - I have also had to use it for short trips to collect customers cars (which I really don't want to do - but it creates a lot of interest) - to address this I have just in the last few days purchased a second (modern) vehicle for the business to act has my estimating / vehicle collection runabout and I am actively looking for undercover storage for the classic fleet.

Just on the last trip with the Rover I detected a slight misfire which only occurs at 2,600 RPM so I need to investigate that and the car could do with a oil & filter change - so I need to find time to spend a couple of hours on it at some stage.
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles