Going East - getting a UAZ 469 back on the road

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: Going East - getting a UAZ 469 back on the road

#81 Post by JPB » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:56 pm

I shall get some measurements for you just as soon as I can. Feel free to give me a nudge by PM if I haven't posted the information in this thread within the next day or two.
:)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

RangerNeil

#82 Post by RangerNeil » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:53 pm

JPB wrote:I shall get some measurements for you just as soon as I can. Feel free to give me a nudge by PM if I haven't posted the information in this thread within the next day or two.
:)
Will do :-)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

JPB

#83 Post by JPB » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Oops! Memory fault flagged, solution: Tea, strong, lots! I measured the lampholder's hole in the back of a Smith Speedo that's for a 1972 (and possibly earlier, but not much later as the style changed in the first few months of 1973) Reliant Scimitar GTE and the diameter is 16mm :oops: , but what I couldn't find was a lamp holder that fits into the hole because that could, given a mm or two for the thickness of the holder, take the hole for the envelope to go through down to around 11mm but before I've found a holder that fits the instrument I can't be certain. These instruments are new, in Smith's trademark grey and red boxes and didn't come with the holder to fit the hole, which was shipped to the dealership stores with a bit of yellow Sellotape-style stuff over it.
I'm certain that there's a Reliant "Economy Range" (Robin, 1973 through 10/1976, kitten, 1975 through 10/1976) version of that speedo here somewhere though, and equally certain that it has its lamp holder and a bulb with it. Find that, and I'll have your definitive answer. It has to be here somewhere, the house only has one floor with a mere seven rooms in total, a loft above and a cellar below so anything that's not radio spares or domestic audio gear usually sticks out like a spare sheep at the village dance.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

RangerNeil

#84 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks John. Got to agree with your solution - with the added addition of garibaldi biscuits! :D :D
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

JPB

#85 Post by JPB » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:45 am

Garibaldi sandwich! Eating two parallel pairs of the Garibaldi with a chocolate digestive between, washed down with a large mug of Rington's Extra Fresh so strong that the spoon stands upright....

....has failed to find these darned things as yet. :oops:
J

GHT

#86 Post by GHT » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:37 pm

JPB wrote:Garibaldi!
Is that some Take That singer without his syrup?

RangerNeil

#87 Post by RangerNeil » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:45 am

GHT wrote:
You phillistine sir!! Every civilised person knows Garibaldi's are the king of biscuits! Even in Biscuits, Fruit AB form from the army!! :D :D
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

GHT

#88 Post by GHT » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:29 am

RangerNeil wrote:
GHT wrote:
You phillistine sir!!
Phil Listine? He's the bloke on: "For The Love of Cars," isn't he? Not me guv.

RangerNeil

#89 Post by RangerNeil » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:34 pm

Managed to get another, correct sized speedo from Russia - the one I had I finally got bul holders to fit, only to find it was too big for the dash opening. I know, I know, should have checked that first but it was sold as a UAZ469 speedo - I am thinking more Gaz 66 now. Anyway - I digress. Got the new speedo and fitted it just in time for the War and Peace Revival show the other week. On the way down everything was running very nicely - accurate speedo, no screaming noises and I was cruising along happily at 70 Kph. Just got to J5 on the M20 when there was a god-awful bang from under the vehicle followed by the sound of something banging on the road. Pulled onto the hard shoulder PDQ followed by the OH who saw the bits fly off - and who in turn was followed by a police car who only saw a big fan of mud shoot into the air ahead of her. Close inspection underneath revealed the handbrake drum had exploded into several parts and dropped the nose of the prop shaft onto the road.

So I had to be recovered home by the RAC and that ended the UAZ's appearance at the show. Just waiting now for a price for the parts from a UK supplier who was at the show and said he had the drum and pro in stick
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#90 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:05 pm

Removed the prop shaft today in preparation for the new-ish one to be delivered together a new hand brake drum. First of the 4 bolts on the rear U/J was a total bitch to undo, luckily the other 3 came off relatively easily. Both the screws that hold the drum on came out easily and the two sheared off bolts yeilded to the attentions of an Ez-Out. Just need the new parts to fit next week now. :)

Closer inspection revealed I may have had a luckier escape than I thought. When the prop came loose it walloped the main fuel line as it was flailing around before dropping to the road. I was very fortunate it bent it but did not split it. Had that happened the firework display of sparks coming from the nose of the prop on the road might have led to a rather large "boom" under the drivers seat !! :shock:
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469