Going East - getting a UAZ 469 back on the road

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
RangerNeil

Re: Going East - getting a UAZ 469 back on the road

#101 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:42 pm

TerryG wrote:Is that a bullet hole?!?!
No - just a couple of little dings sustained in transit. :)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

RangerNeil

#102 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:18 pm

I went to start replacing the doors today. The two new doors shells are primed and painted, on the insides so I thought it would be a fairly simple job to swap them over.

Cue demonic laugher!!!!

Opted to start with the passenger front door. First thing I note is there is only one bolt in the bottom hinge. OK - that's got to be a broken bolt and once the other three were out and the check strap undone lo and behold it was indeed a broken bolt. Opted to leave that for the time being/ Also the torn metal at the leading edge of where the top hinge bolts thinking that I'd get the doors on first and then sort these issues out when I do the externals.
Go to offer up the new door - and half the top hinge is bloody missing!!! After a few moments of turning the air a vivid shade of blue I thought - OK lets drift the pin out and use the old hinge section instead. Got to be common. Hah!! Over an hour later I come to the conclusion than none of the pins are going to come out easily. I am assuming they get knocked out downwards because on the bottom of each pin is a grease nipple.

So I wound up out of time and having to put the old door back on again. Decidedly unamused!!

Door painted internally and ready to fit.

Bottom hinge

Top hinge - spot the difference
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#103 Post by RangerNeil » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Life is seldom simple or so the saying goes, UAZ seem to have taken this to heart and almost made it a motto of the company!
Started fitting the new doors the other day - the two drivers side doors were shipped more or less complete, only the screws holding the handles on appeared to be missing. So - drivers door first. It was easy enough unbolting the old door and it's top piece . Bolting the new one on single handed less so as the pull handle is missing on the new door, The door release catch sits where it would be on the old doors. So it tends to swing about making it extremely difficult to align the holes in the hinges with the screw plates in the door pillar. Managed to get it on at last then having worked out how the latch part works bolted one of these on in place of the old. First issue came in that the new plates are meant to be held on by countersunk screws not hex head bolts. making it necessary to remove the top bolt for the latch to attempt to close. New doors have the rubber seals on the outer edges and it is a BITCH to get it to close onto the latch plate. And when I did do it the plate pivoted on the bottom bolt so right now the door is held shut be a rope across to the passenger grab handle I need to order some countersunk head bolts - I think M6 threads to hold these latch plates securely.

Image[/URL]

Next problem came with the door tops. Laid the rubber infills I had made for the old doors in place - and the outer bolt holes for the door tops seem to be some 12mm closer in to the centre bolts holes that the old ones. I had to enlarge the bolt clearance's in the rubber strip inwards to compensate. With the door top bolted on the next issue became all too apparent. The new style door tops do not have the rubber seal strip around the edges the old ones do So it does not seal onto the fabric roof or - worse - the upright of the roof frame between the doors. Fortunately I had ordered a set of 4 replacement rubbers and the little rivets that secure them so I think I will have to modify the new sliding glass door tops to suit having these rubber seals fitted. I have yet to see how an old door top lines up with the bolt holes on a new door bottom - if they do not match as I think they will not then I might have to get replacement door tops for the rear doors too.

Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

TerryG

#104 Post by TerryG » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:00 pm

How many swear words did you use that day? I think i'd have used the door as a Frisbee!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

RangerNeil

#105 Post by RangerNeil » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:20 pm

TerryG wrote:How many swear words did you use that day? I think i'd have used the door as a Frisbee!
Came pretty damned close a couple of times - but its taken 2 YEARS to get them delivered so.... :)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

vulgalour

#106 Post by vulgalour » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:42 pm

UAZ an adherent to the FFS Garage school of design there then. At least you're not letting it beat you!

RangerNeil

#107 Post by RangerNeil » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:56 pm

vulgalour wrote:UAZ an adherent to the FFS Garage school of design there then. At least you're not letting it beat you!
Not yet!! Although there are times when, mid job I step back and think maybe a few good whacks with tool, adjusting, fine, 20 lb might work better for me!!
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#108 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Another long delay in updates...... However here goes:

Finally got the handbrake sorted - had to replace the entire assembly in the end - back plate, shoes and drum,. Which in turn involved removing the drive flange from the output shaft of the gear box. Once I had all the parts it took maybe 2 hours and now- touch wood - all seems OK on that front.

I had a long hiatus due to working on the Militant accompanied by the usual lack of funds (being out of work is a real fun killer!! :( ) but finally had to get stuck back in to get the UAZ down to the War and Peace Revival show this year. First major issue - that I know of - was the new door. It would not close properly and I spent a few hours trying to work out why - then - whilst idly swing it shut and watching it bounce back I had a Eureka moment! The old doors never had the rubber seal on the outer edges. So I took a closer look at the leading edge and, sure enough , the rubber was hitting the inner wing face! Next question was why and it dawned on me that maybe there should be spacers under the hinges.. The missing strip on the old doors would have made the lack moot so I started packing washer under the hinges. 2 washers or about 1.5 mm let the door actually catch - but still tight. Enough to use for a week though so now the show is over I need to strip the door off again and add a third washer to see if the lets it close as intended. Right now it will not open on the outer handle as the inner release is a piece of formed metal that is bending under the pressure to release it. So I have to leave the window unlatched to reach in and pop it open on the inner release. Once I have this working I can measure the actuel thickness of the hinges used as spacers and make up a piece of metal to go under each hinge- 8 in total will be required. Then I need to get the rubber seals fitted onto the door tops to stop the water pouring in. I have the sealing strips and "rivets" ready to fit them - the tops just need to have the holes drilled and then resealed with paint.

The other problem revealed itself on the Saturday I was due to leave. Day before it had run perfectly - this day it refused to start. I assumed it was suffering from a run-back of fuel from the pump to the carb so I popped the bonnet and started working the manual prime lever. Couple of pumps and my hand suddenly got very cold - closer inspection revealed it to be covered in fuel... Watching the hoses as I pumped I saw that the hose from the pump to the inline filter which was spiral bound had de laminated and was squirting fuel out like the Trevi fountain..... And the hose from the filter to the carb looked like it was about to join it. So bang went my trip that day and I had to shoot down to Pirtek in Thurrock to get replacements made up. Currently its running on fuel compatible hose but I need to go back and get the remade in actual fuel quality hose - the guy at Pirtek reckoned they would last a couple of months or so using the compatible quality hose. It got me out of trouble though so I am happy. Even happier that the whole time I was down at the show it stayed in 2 wheel drive - those "extreme mud" tyres on the rear lived up to their name. :)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#109 Post by RangerNeil » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Went down to Military Odyssey in the UAZ over the weekend - trip down was uneventful, cruising along at 60 KPH (could have got up to 70 kph but over 60 kph the steering gets a mind of its own). Trip back was likewise - until I got to the Dartford crossing - which was its usual SNAFU from the A2 to the tunnel. We were crawling along in extreme heat and as I entered the tunnel bore the UAZ started mis-firing. Rest of the trip through the tunnel was spent bottling it in case it broke down totally - not helped by an "SK" plated 40 tonner in front of me that stopped dead every time anyone in front of him touched the brakes and remained stationary for a minute or so. I was thinking it might be low fuel as the trip down took 3 attempts to get onto the M25 - ended up at the A127 having first tried the Thurrock services then the A13 both of which were total log jams.
Any ways the old bus got me out of the bore and the evil money grabbing clasp of the tunnel operators and up to the shell garage by the Circus Tavern. Refuelled there expecting the problem to stop but it persisted and started getting worse. Top speed was reduced to 45 kph and by the time I was about a mile from home it had gotten worse to the point where it was spitting back through the carb and there was strong smell of fuel. Fire extinguisher was place ready to hand!!
But it got me into the drive albeit unhappily.
This morning had to swap the cars around to get the daughters Micra out - parked the UAZ the other side of the road and left the engine running whilst I got the Micra out - walked back to the UAZ to put it on the drive and as I got there - the engine cut out and would not restart. I wound up cranking the old girl back down the road on the starter - and just as I got level with the drive the engine caught and we went whizzing back - towards a new BMW.... :shock: Luckily I caught it in time to avoid...
Drove up into the drive and parked in front of the garage, switched off - and back to the no starting. I don't think its fuel as the pump seems to be working OK - I am tending towards having the distributor apart and checking all the ignition side out. Another job added to the list!!
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

Zelandeth

#110 Post by Zelandeth » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Not something silly like a loose rotor arm is it?

Sounds like you've got a spark if it's spitting back through the carb and such nonsense. After checking the really obvious, try another condenser before wasting too much time...I took to just keeping a couple of spares on hand in one of my Skodas as they seemed to have an appetite for them that I never did get to the bottom of.

Or possibly a vacuum leak causing an excessively lean mixture? Somewhat compensated for when you first started up due to the choke being on?
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.