Going East - getting a UAZ 469 back on the road

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
TerryG

Re: Going East - getting a UAZ 469 back on the road

#31 Post by TerryG » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Do you want to drive it around killing hybrids?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

RangerNeil

#32 Post by RangerNeil » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:45 am

Tempting, very tempting!! Can do that in the OT though :-)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

JPB

#33 Post by JPB » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:21 am

RangerNeil wrote:Noo - what I REALLY need is one of these!..
Catching air - and travelling quickly enough to make it happen - in a heavy thing like that is pretty impressive. :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

RangerNeil

#34 Post by RangerNeil » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:58 am

JPB wrote:
RangerNeil wrote:Noo - what I REALLY need is one of these!..
Catching air - and travelling quickly enough to make it happen - in a heavy thing like that is pretty impressive. :lol:
Done it a couple of times in the OT..... Getting up isn't a problem - landing is!!! :D :D
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

rich.

#35 Post by rich. » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:17 pm

i flew a tractor once.. i smacked my head on the roof & was dazed for a while.. landing a tank must be painful. as for hybrids i quite like them :oops:

JPB

#36 Post by JPB » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:51 pm

rich. wrote:i flew a tractor once..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich, please may I quote that freely, all over the interwebs? For some reason these words made tea come out of my eye sockets as a result of the energetic laughter it provoked in me. (And in the sis-in-law beast, but she's easily tickled so doesn't count).
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#37 Post by rich. » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:53 pm

with my blessing john :lol: i didnt fly very far but it was far from a textbook landing

RangerNeil

#38 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:13 pm

Progress contines albeit slowly..... At least on the registration side. Sent he letter back to DVLA confirming their chassis number was now stamped on the chassis - and got sent a V55/5 in return so I had to find an approved club to write me an authenication letter and send that back together with the completed form, my photocard driving license and a utility bill. Now to wait and see what comes next. Already missing 1 event because of the 8 month time scale in getting a V5.
but on the vehicle itself things are better. Been a bit stuffed for working because of the weather and as you may remember not only do I have the UAZ to sort but also a Series 3 FFR Landie with its engine in bit.... However progress has been made. I had a spare, new, centre instrument cluster in the cpares box so i spent a day removing the old one and fitting the new one. So now the oil pressure and water temperature gauges are also working woth the ammeter but not the fuel gauge - at least not properly. Flicking the selector switch foes not give a true readfing - this YouTube clup illistrates the problem:

https://youtu.be/MfS1HS5uHLE

- one tank has 10 litres in it the other 20 litres and the tank capcities are 39 litres each so I should in theory be seeing readings of 1/4 and 1/2 a tank. I think the senders are probaly also shot so I have new ones on order from Poland.

After this I obtained a new fuel tap to replace the frozen one - changing it is a two person job which came as a bit of a culture shock after dealing with landrover ones - and an even bigger shock to the wife as she was press-ganged into helping as #2 :D The bolts that secure the tap to the floor pan go throught the flange of the tap and have nuts and washers the other side so after unscreweing the 3 unions the wife had to hold a spanner on the bolthead whilst i undid the nuts and removed the old tap from under neath. Another shock was just how far into the body of the tap the unions went - it was a difficult job to remove as the steel pipes had very litle "give" in them. But eventually I got it out and the new one hooked up and the wife was pressed back into service as the securing bolts were done up.

Note- trying to explain why there are 4 holes not just 3 and that shoving a bolt through the 4th (drain) hole doesn't work to a wife is a fraught experience!! Anyways - end result is I now have a fuel tank slector tap that actually moves without needing brute force and excessive leverage

https://youtu.be/bYx5mg71x00
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#39 Post by RangerNeil » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:08 am

Not so good news right now :(

A friend offered to drive to a show last Sunday on trade plates for me - but when we tried to start it the starter had gone "lazy" - I could spin it faster on the starting handle than the starter would turn it over. So I have to replace or repair that. I am not surprised TBH as it was pervioulsy used as an offroad hack and spent a lot of time in deep waters.
What IS really annoying is the local E.M. youth contingent have poured brake fluid into the load bed so I have a big repaint job to do. A neighbour told me a few days prior to Sunday she had seen them hanging around the back of it but nothing seem to be disturbed other than the cardboard number plates I had made to get to the testing station had been knicked (good luck to them with those - they are now flagged as revoked following problems with not havng the chassis plate or a chassis number so I've had to fill in a V55/5 to get a new age related number).
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#40 Post by RangerNeil » Fri May 01, 2015 10:59 pm

Bit more UAZ work today - had to take a break from the Landie as a bolt sheared in the thermostat housing and I was waiting for a set of EZ-Outs and reverse spiral drils to arrive to remove it. So - as the new fuel senders had arrived from Poland I set about removing the access panel in the vehicle floor. ON the passenger side 3 bolts came out OK but with #4 the captive nut had broken free and is just spinning. The lip on the aperture effectively stops a spanner gripping it so it looks like the fuel tank will have to be dropped to get at the spinning nut. I managed to get the panel up far enough to be able to brush all the mud and crap out and give the sender and pickup a blast of WD40.

Acess panel on the drivers side came off easier - probably becaue the bolt that spun on the passenger side was missing there!! Anwyays - with the panel off and the mud and crud brushed away the sender and pick up were liberally coated with WD40 too and left to soak a while.

After a while I managed to get 2 of the 6 cross-head screws out, 2 partly out and 2 will not budge so more WE40 was applied and left overnight.

Also had a look at getting the starter off - bottom bolt looks easy enough as one would expect but the top bolt has the access obscured by the body of the starter so getting a socket on it looks impossible as does getting a spanner on it due to lack of room. One day a job will be simple on these beasties !! :D :D :D
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469