Going East - getting a UAZ 469 back on the road

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
RangerNeil

Re: Going East - getting a UAZ 469 back on the road

#111 Post by RangerNeil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:11 pm

Had the plugs out today - as you can see from the image below they were filthy. Numbers 1 and 2 were thick soot, numbers 3 and 4 were not so bad.
Small plugs Aug 2017.jpg
Small plugs Aug 2017.jpg (97.16 KiB) Viewed 23363 times
Broke out the WS40 and a rag - gave them all a good blast and a scrub to clean them up. Checked the gaps - all set at 0.6mm so refitted number 2 trough 4 and laid number 1 on the head with lead attached. Got the OH to spin her over and saw a nic spark so refitted number 1 too. Started her up and she fired first time although there is still a slight miss you can here in the video so I think the plugs either need a better cleaning or replacing. Obviously UAZ's do not like sitting in traffic in hot weather for over an hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F4Fi05d5Lg
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

Mitsuru

#113 Post by Mitsuru » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:02 pm

I came across this & thought of you
https://youtu.be/gPXbsWEs5IA
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

RangerNeil

#114 Post by RangerNeil » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:13 pm

As show season is up us I thought it was time to get the old girl running again. Had the in-line fine filter apart and cleaned all the gunge out of that so it is ready to go then went to pump the fuel back up - it always drains down to the pump if left more than a week or two. Started pumping the manual prime lever - and heard a drippin accompanied by a strong smell of petrol. Closer examination revealed the rubber section linking the line from the tank to the pump had seemingly fallen victim to the ethanol issue - fuel was widdling out. Removed the lline to ret it replaced - just in time to remember that the oulet was lower than the tank - cue frantic efforts to cap the line fitting off to stop the tank emptying itself into the container I had put under to catch drips (not floods). Doh...... Luckily a wad of cling film over and into the union followed by the cap of a spray can being pushed onto it stopped the leak. New pipe being made tomorrow.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3