Mini Mayfair Fix Up

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
TerryG

Re: Mini Mayfair Fix Up

#51 Post by TerryG » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Looking good :) Now the mini is done, what's happening with the traveller in the background?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

arceye

#52 Post by arceye » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks Chaps, the doogie is a flat coat x collie John, lovely lad unless you are outside the gate and not family, but once you manage to get in he will lick you to death. Was a rescue, he first came over from Orkney as a pup then was chained outside and I think abused over in Wick, then we got him as a rescue at about six months old. He's seven years now and doing great other than a little boundary aggression (which is improving slowly year on year) and not liking policemen over much. Heart of gold really and possibly the softest of our dogs once anyone is through the gate. I think he is just letting a little excess air out of the tyre, and probably considering "washing" the wheel.

Terry, the traveller is a sore point, it is a sort of mercy job, it belonged to a lady who was only in her early to mid sixties, we are a little pally with her family and she and her husband were a large part of why the Riley arrived with me.

Anyway, earlier this year her husband died, out of the blue and only 63, and she was in poor health, the traveller which she loved was out of MOT and like a lamb to the slaughter I said I would patch it up for her. Well the day I actually cut into it for the first time she went and died herself, just a few weeks after her hubby.

So, a bit awkward really, one of her sons asked if I'd be willing to carry on with it, so what can you say having already chopped one sill out.... well, I agreed (probably foolishly as it was only ever a favor job really). The trouble is the more I chop into it the more I find it is made of biscuit tins and the like, held together with pop rivets and bitumen underseal.

Anyway, I've been waiting on the price of some welding gas and a couple of parts for it turning up for a couple of months now, I've said I will do it, and so I shall, slowly, but the basic costs need to be covered so at this rate it may be here some time yet. I just hope the bugger doesn't sell it straight on when it finally gets done, there is only so much of a fool one can be made to look you know.

I'm regretting getting involved now if you can't already tell, and to top it off I've just been put on doctors orders to look after myself as my lung capacity, or the flow out of them or whatever it is they measure is apparently down to just one percent above a COPD diagnosis after years of welding / burning and smokes, I'm supposed to be avoiding the welding etc and stop the fags (not doing well on either count) as the damage already done will apparently be progressive without making things worse by carrying on like a fool regardless.

So, yeah, I'm even turning away paying welding jobs now, promising the wife I won't be doing that sort of work except slowly on my own projects ( I cough all bloody night as soon as I pick up the welder or grinder and I'm only bloody 45) but I somehow seem stuck with that bloody traveller.

Ah well, there is another mini in the background that looks like it may be falling into my hands, but that one will take years, if I'm up to it...

So, yeah, emm, we don't mention the traveller :lol: it kind of gets me ranting a bit

3xpendable

#53 Post by 3xpendable » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:48 am

Looks wonderful Arceye :)
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

arceye

#54 Post by arceye » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:18 am

Cheers Welshie :D