Mini Mayfair Fix Up

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
arceye

Mini Mayfair Fix Up

#1 Post by arceye » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:39 am

Ok Chaps, bit different from the Riley but I have a thing for minis, so couldn't resist this little chap when offered in PX against a Transit I'd fixed up.

She had been at ours for a couple of months already, originally an automatic she was found to have gearbox issues as well as the obvious lack of a front end, so its previous owner sourced a decent manual engine and box, my lad removed the engine and started changing the pedal box, that is however as far as she got before she ended up my hands.

The good news is that she is complete apart from the obvious missing front, a lot of bits have already been removed but are there so that side of things shouldn't be too bad.

Despite the looks of things she isn't too bad for a mini bodyshell wise, though there is of course welding to be done, and no doubt the list of repairs will grow. I've already decided I need to do the sills despite the only rot in those areas being to the door steps, that is because the door steps have started to rust due to someone having at some point filled the original sills with expanding foam, somewhere after that someone has fitted new sills, but neglected to remove the originals and expanding foam.....

Ah well, at least I can be good and fit the proper sills while I'm there rather than the more common and frowned on over sills she currently has.

I've made a start at some stuff anyway, so will bring this up to date later.

for now, here she is where the Riley used to live.

arceye

Re: Mini Mayfair Fix Up

#2 Post by arceye » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:55 am

I decided to tackle the drivers side front pillar area and screen scuttle first as that was one of the more obvious grot spots.

A little prodding and cutting later

and after a couple of localised repairs to the a post innards a repair panel went on, this was too short so some more steel was added to the top to reach the windscreen surround, followed by a corner scuttle repair panel and closing / splash panel to the scuttles underside.

I still need to clean up some of the wheel arch panels welds, but a nice easy and satisfying start.

Fatbloke

#3 Post by Fatbloke » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:59 am

Good luck with that. I'm looking forward to reading more. Always had a soft spot for Minis.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

arceye

#4 Post by arceye » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Cheers Mike.

Anyway, nearly up to date now. I got a bit distracted at this point, I was enjoying all the available space in the garage, loads of room to work compared to with the Riley and so I was just thinking how nice it was.

That was until I found my lad had squeezed another mini beside me :roll: just to ensure I didn't get too comfy. His first car, a mini that we had fixed up for him, had gone to some young lad who chopped into everything both good and bad in the hopes of making a trackday car before leaving the poor little thing under a torn tarpaulin to rot nicely for over 12 months. It is absolutely wrecked, and what work has been done in the way of new panels needs doing properly.

So my lad, in despair at seeing his first car like this paid a good chunk over the odds to get it back to try to save, it may make an appearence on here yet but the boy will have to sign up himself. I'll help him where I can but fear he has more than his work cut out.

Anyway, back on track, and why I got distracted further, my lack of front end took a twist, in that I aquired from the boys mini for a few pounds

This

Neither of us is that keen on fibreglass fronts, but it was too good for one of us not to use so I though what the heck, it saves me a few quid and won't rust.

Rather than fit it as a flip front though which I'm very much not into, my plan is to keep the inner wings as far as possible and fit it with a few stainless steel bolts and captive nuts so it is more traditional but still removable with a little work when needed. I'm hoping to then fit the bonnet to an old bonnet frame and so keep the bonnet hinged in the traditional manner for day to day access.

I think it will work, with just minimal trimming to the front of the inner wings and the front panel removed it fits quite well.

Bracing bars will keep the front of the subframe anchored nicely.

So, with everything trial fitted I think I can utilise the fibreglass front without interfering too much with the original design.

So that's where I am for now, distraction over I will get back on with sorting the car.

TerryG

#5 Post by TerryG » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Everyone loves minis. it's the law!
As you will have a little bit more space at the front, are you going to fit a metro radiator rather than the standard one? That was one thing that always annoyed me with mine, the silly positioning of the standard item was never up to the job in London traffic.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

arceye

#6 Post by arceye » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:49 pm

To be honest I haven't thought that far ahead Terry, but I will probably stick with the standard set up as it shouldn't be too troublesome on our rather quiet roads and with the relatively cool climate up here.

Unlike the little 850 uprated to a stage 3 1275 I once owned, that used to boil up and jet water into the cabin (fixed with a hose from the radiator overflow, well it wasn't actually fixed but it ceased to scold passenger) when you stopped for more than a minute or two :oops: I have however always wanted another that nippy, it was like a rocket.

Anyway, something to think about that, I also have to decide whether to keep the little 998 engine standard or warm it up a little, but hey ho, a bit to do before then.

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:58 pm

My overheating was caused by me being a teenager with a heavy foot and a MG 1275/1293/turbo depending on which incarnation of engine as I started with one then went up and up (with the standard radiator).
I will always love minis but (largely due to teenage stupidity / feeling of invincibility) when you prang one it really hurts so I tend to go for cars with more between my kneed and an accident these days.
GNY328K is long dead now but if I found it in a scrap yard somewhere I would bring it home without hesitation.

Toledo Man

#8 Post by Toledo Man » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Have you thought about using spire clips instead of captive nuts for your fibreglass front end?

I remember Mike Brewer (yes, he of Wheeler Dealers fame) once saying "everyone should have a Mini at some point in their lives. I had a 1978 Mini 850 back in 1993 so I've been there, etc. The most fun you can have on 4 wheels.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)

tractorman

#9 Post by tractorman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:15 pm

TerryG wrote:Everyone loves minis. it's the law!
Hmm, I must be overdue a visit from Plod then! I fear arceye's latest has brought back some bad memoires of my Wolseley Hornet - and Father's two Mini Travellers! I suspect the Hornet was actually worse than arceye's Mini - apart from being a 1965 version (sliding windows and long gear lever etc). I still have one of the sliding windows (the back one), it's handy as a flat plate when I'm making models for the railway!

However, I will be watching the thread with interest - so long as no F**d blue paint is used!!

TerryG

#10 Post by TerryG » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:12 pm

If you haven't driven a mini in good order, you need to hire one or find a friend then take if for a whizz around a country road. at 30mph you can have more fun and end up with a bigger smile than with a Ferrari on a race track.
Even the 998 is a giggle but the 1275 is (in my opinion) just right. I have had a go in a 2.5 Vauxhall powered one and it is just silly.