Mini Mayfair Fix Up

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
mach1rob

Re: Mini Mayfair Fix Up

#41 Post by mach1rob » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Bugger damn blast :( I feel your pain, I'd be totally gutted if that had happened to me. At least you now have brakes, and hopefully, very soon a nice new MOT. It does look rather tasty all fitted up, almost to the point I even thought Mini hmmmmmmm Dolly replacement lol

arceye

#42 Post by arceye » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Go on Rob, You know you want one ;)

I took a photo just a little while ago tonight but my internet refuses to upload in the evenings :(

It was of.......

A nice shiny new MOT certificate, issued at 19:11 tonight by the boys boss doing a late turn :D

So, Road Tax in the morning, then I shall be mobile again at long last, fingers crossed it will only need little bits of fettling / fine tuning when the real testing begins with use.

tractorman

#43 Post by tractorman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Nice one! I'm sure there are a lot of football metaphors that could be used here, but I hate football!

Now you'll have to get used to a bad back and sitting with your knees either side of the steering wheel (unless you're a short git like me!). Then there's the endless polishing and preening to make a show car out of it!

arceye

#44 Post by arceye » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm short enough for a mini no bother, 5 foot six and a bit has its advantages, just wish I'd stop getting nearly as wide as tall :oops: , and the wife gripes about her curved spine all the time anyway, you never know it may do her some good :lol:

Washing and polishing has never been my thing, but I'm going to try to make the effort to swill her off once a week, might help keep the rust at bay, and I do want to improve on the paintwork done so far. However, show car she won't be, a daily driver this one at least for the foreseeable future.

Next main job though is to waxoyl her in every nook and cranny to try and protect her through the winter, I've resisted the job up to now as I know the tester doesn't like lots of fresh gunge underneath and I didn't want his advisory for underside of vehicle covered in black underseal. So it was a nice coating of stonechip for his first time seeing her, he won't complain at future tests so long as the rustproofing has had time to dry :lol:

TerryG

#45 Post by TerryG » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:08 pm

I'm 6'1 and I fit in a mini.
Congrats on the MOT pass. You don't have to wait until tomorrow to tax it. Now you don't need a disc just pop on to direct.gov and tax it on line :)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Fatbloke

#46 Post by Fatbloke » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:25 am

I'm 5'10" and when I used to drive my wife's minis I was playing 1st team rugby and was 19stone solid and I fitted in comfortably. Although people did laugh when they saw me...but not as much as the day when I had the entire front 5 in it!! That was a cosy trip.

Congrats on the MOT arceye.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

arceye

#47 Post by arceye » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:57 pm

Cheers chaps,
Taxed now, I did it the old fashioned way but at least the post office was quiet, I'll try it online next time.

We only went to town for shopping, but it was a nice little run, she carried the shopping no bother which was good considering we hadn't done a "proper" shop in about two months, so was fairly loaded up.

I reckon the tracking is a little out so will get that done, but other than that she performs well. We will stick local until she is tried and tested fully and I can keep an eye on fluid use etc.

So piccies as she stands today, she probably won't change much til spring as I really need a break from it apart from the general tinkering / repairs that are needed as we go.

I actually quite like the white bonnet, but will be painting it at some point

And "Blacky" the Collie x Flat Coat Retriever giving it the once over for quality control

Fatbloke

#48 Post by Fatbloke » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:15 pm

Looks fantastic.Great job!
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

rich.

#49 Post by rich. » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:37 pm

nice!! :D

JPB

#50 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:45 pm

Yes, what they said! That looks absolutely spot on. :thumbs: Nice canine, is that a flat coated retriever? Poor doggy will take ages to inflate the tyre that way.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: