mk2 uno turbo stalllllllled

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
jimmyq

mk2 uno turbo stalllllllled

#1 Post by jimmyq » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:00 pm

hi all i hope you can inject some motivation into me,i rescued a mk2 uno turbo from boyracer patch up jobs, I have stripped it back done a lot of engine work and endless bodywork as you can imagine on a 90's fiat, what I ask is how can I motivate myself to finish it? has anybody else hit that wall?

kevin

Re: mk2 uno turbo stalllllllled

#2 Post by kevin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:15 pm

best way ive found is to do half an hour each night, small steps soon add up

Good luck

Kev

jimmyq

#3 Post by jimmyq » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:30 pm

cheers kev, its like at the minute I can find anything to do rather then the final push

tractorman

#4 Post by tractorman » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:57 pm

There are times when I think work on the Landy has stalled - and I am doing something to it or for it nearly every day! Sometimes it's better to walk away and leave it for a couple of weeks or months. Perhaps you could use the free time to go to a few shows and see some finished cars (not necessarily Fiats!) and get some inspiration. I have to admit, the nearest I get to that at the moment is Car SOS and Wheeler Dealers on TV and it shows in my fleet's lack of progress.

My big tractor was bought six (?) years ago as I thought I had nearly finished the Fergy that I originally bought to see if I had the time and space for restoring something decent. The Fergy took an extra year and was eventually sold three years ago. The "little" tractor has been a rolling resto for eleven years and I haven't done anything other than fit some "check chains" in the last couple of years. The big tractor has only had essential servicing and necessary mods done so I could fit the digger, keep dry in the cab and so on. Neither tractor has moved far this year - though I did take the big one out for a three mile drive a month or two ago (before I took the tub off the Landy). That was to warm it up so I could do a SECOND oil change (in six or seven years!).

I bought the Landy as a roadworthy vehicle (MOT runs out in eight days) and hadn't expected to have to do much to it. My resto thread suggests my expectations were somewhat unrealistic and the budget has been exceeded by a few pounds if I tell lies, or a couple of thousand if I am honest!

I've just checked my spreadsheet and, on the 30th of this month, I'll have had the big tractor for seven years - perhaps that shows my lack of motivation for the restoration job!!

TerryG

#5 Post by TerryG » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:57 pm

From my point of view there are 2 big milestones. Paint and engine running. If you have the engine built up, get it fired up. If the body is done, put some colour on it. if the body isn't done try painting a part that is, a door, bonnet, tailgate, etc. When something looks like a "car" I always want to get outside and wave some spanners over it.

Oh, and congratulations on saving a fun little car :) you will have to post some pics.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

megadethmaniac

#6 Post by megadethmaniac » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:55 am

90`s Turbo, so a mk 2 then?

Come on get some pics up.. We may even be able to suggest a better way on one of those bigger jobs you are stalling on!

Had a 60 s Elegaza myself, Mad motor

mach1rob

#7 Post by mach1rob » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:51 pm

I think all projects get to the CBA stage, so step away for a few days/weeks, do something else, then return with a renewed enthusiasm for it. Just don't leave it too long, or it could end up another abandoned resto project gracing the pages of evilbay.

Going to a few shows also helps renew interest, tends to get you fired up to get your own car there to show off :)