The misadventures of a fatbloke and 13/60 Herald named Poppy

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Fatbloke

Re: The misadventures of a fatbloke and 13/60 Herald named P

#241 Post by Fatbloke » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:19 am

arceye wrote:And so you should, it IS a nice car :D but is the smug smile any different to the one that must be plastered on your face whenever you drive it :?:
Thanks Arceye.

And no, not much different just a bit more smug. :D
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

mach1rob

#242 Post by mach1rob » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:04 pm

Oh I DO hope you jumped out, faced Aston man and went...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdNYhmohCzk

Fatbloke

#243 Post by Fatbloke » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:33 pm

:lol: I wish I'd thought of that Rob.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

Fatbloke

#244 Post by Fatbloke » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:52 am

Hi All,

Just to let you know I'm still alive and have done absolutely no work to poppy whatsoever but been driving around and having lots of fun! :D

Here's proof you can get 4 adults in a Herald and she is still the family fun vehicle of choice..
P1020619a.jpg
P1020619a.jpg (115.55 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
I do have a list for the winter however:-

Finish of the interior restoration by fitting the steering column switch cowls and stickers and fit the new plastic bezel to the window winder and new dash top ashtray. all of which I've been buying over the summer.

Repair the hood header rail and replace a bit of the frame above the drivers window.

Replace the split plastic quarter window in the hood with new clear vinyl again already purchased. (Bit nervous about this one!)

And maybe flush out the heater matrix and repaint the box as well as replace all the rubber coolant pipes.

Wish me luck and I shall keep you appraised.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

blades

#245 Post by blades » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Nice one Mike, good to see you our and about enjoying the car

Nick

Fatbloke

#246 Post by Fatbloke » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:59 am

I had myself a bit of tinkering over the weekend and made some headway with the irritating little things that always get left out because they don't effect driving enjoyment so here is my winter to do list and progerss so far.

Finish of the interior restoration by fitting the steering column switch cowls and stickers and fit the new plastic bezel to the window winder and new dash top ashtray. all of which I've been buying over the summer. DONE! :) except the transfers...Will get mrs fb to do these for me when I'm brave enough to ask! I also managed to hide the hanging purple wire into the steering column wire trunking where it should be. It had been left exposed after fitting new horn slipring and I hadn't worked out how to undo the clamp.

Repair the hood header rail and replace a bit of the frame above the drivers window. still not been brave enough to take out header rail but will replace the bit of frame at the same time when I find my courage.

Replace the split plastic quarter window in the hood with new clear vinyl again already purchased. (Bit nervous about this one!) Had a go at this but failed miserably at cutting the replacement clear vinyl to the correct size. After 3 attempts I am close but not close enough so gave up and stuck it on with duct tape for now as I'd cut the old window out completely and I plan to drive up to Coventry on the 7/11/15 for a facebook group meet. It has already come unstuck so will have to try again. :oops:

And maybe flush out the heater matrix and repaint the box as well as replace all the rubber coolant pipes. Not yet.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

JPB

Fate tempted..

#247 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:16 pm

As a general rule which I just invented found on the internet, coolant hoses will last forever unless the owner of the car states in public forum that they intend to replace said hoses at some arbitrary time in the future. I made the mistake of saying such a thing to a bunch of people who were talking to me about my most recent Dolomite, this conversation taking place at a car show some forty miles from home.
At least the driver of the recovery vehicle that picked up my leaking car after the first seven of these forty miles had a seemingly endless repertoire of Dolomite-related cooling system failure urban myths with which he kept me amused on the rest of the way home, I'd have been really bored if he'd been less willing to share his largely unfounded prejudice!
:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Fatbloke

#248 Post by Fatbloke » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks John. I am aware of that general rule and have made sure that I have already purchased the replacements ready for when the weather becomes to bad for top down driving and carry them in my boot "just in case" :lol: I also carry a 5 l bottle of water. :lol:
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

Toledo Man

#249 Post by Toledo Man » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:52 pm

John, I had such a problem on my Dolomite 1300. I'd ordered a set of hoses from T.D. Fitchett. One of my heater hoses split the day before the new hoses came in the post.

Mike, I'm at the same stage with my Dolomite 1850. I've got the major stuff done so I'm chasing all the minor niggles that I've lived with such as the broken strap for the washer bottle, the damaged radio aerial and the poor speaker setup from my radio/cassette. It makes me wonder why I haven't dealt with them sooner.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)

Fatbloke

#250 Post by Fatbloke » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:44 am

Who said I had the major stuff done?? :oops: Paintwork is getting a bit "tired" (desperate) but I'm calling it a rolling resto which means as long as I do a bit here and there I can kid myself that it's getting along... :oops:

I've never done "body work" so am very nervous of this. My plan is to "have a go" at the boot lid, which is by far the worst, with rattle cans, if that goes well I will try other panels in order of desperation. :)

Basically, i'm bodging as best I can with things like bodywork and hood until my girls finish Uni and I might have the money to do a strip down and rebuild...well I can dream can't I??
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald