Following on from the 1.6L Montego Saloon Thread....

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: Following on from the 1.6L Montego Saloon Thread....

#31 Post by JPB » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:34 pm

Well done, that's really jumping in at the deep end and for that, your bravery is to be respected. Of course, it could be a much less weird unit than the confounded AL4, I still don't know, but if it's anything else at all - apart from a Honda-style CVT and we know it's not that - you'll breeze through it and that (increasingly attractive and not because I've had a beer but because they really were a stylish old bus) estate will soon be in full health and ready for its next 28/29 years. I must be growing old because old cars are looking younger with every passing year. When I was a kid, a 28 year old car looked old. :oops: ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

MG Mal

#32 Post by MG Mal » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Well, she is now at a standard I am willing to accept in regards to going to a new home.

As stated before, no paintwork is being done, but she is looking (and no doubt if she could "feeling" much better)

"Just back from final garage visit"

After a darn good wash and wax, finished off with the power mop, then a quick rinse to remove any remaining "dust" from polishing.

Even the roof came up better than expected

Front finished off with new grill badge.

MG Mal

#33 Post by MG Mal » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Well after the massively embarrassing way the car let us down last weekend, when the first buyer came to collect the car. (which meant him having to leave without him), "Tough of the Track" now has a new owner and a new name.

"Hal" The 1.6 HL Auto Estate's final Chapter in My Hands.

Well the HL Auto Estate has now "Left the Building".
Now Christened "HAL" The new "Replacement" Owner has set off home with "slight trepidation" knowing it's a long time since it did any more than a few miles at a time. he is well equipped with two spare alloys and tyre's, spare oil (even though I have just changed it for fresh) and spare coolant. The rad fan has had to be bridged for now, but he's happy with that. And he has his AA card "Just in case". Goodbye "Hal", good to know you will be around for another few years!.

Mal.

Mitsuru

#34 Post by Mitsuru » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:07 pm

So what did the car sell for?
And where was it heading roughly?
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Oldcarnut

#35 Post by Oldcarnut » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:06 pm

Reading the Montego article in the mag brought back some memories of when we owned one of these cars back in the day.Some of the issues I think I can remember we had such as the bad front wheel bearing, tyres cost 70 quid each,replacement of the ECU black box.Some issue with the auto choke I think also.The brother made a dent in the front wing where he kicked it in frustration because of some issue :lol:

The car left us down one evening while going to a funeral and were left stranded,luckily we had another car at home belonging to the brother i.e Renault 9 (also featured in the mag).I cant remember the other faults off hand.

Despite all the grief she caused, I liked her back then, very comfortable.She was a 1.6l, blue, 1986 model IIRC.

MG Mal

#36 Post by MG Mal » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Mitsuru: The car has gone north to a "former" Montego owner who fancied owning another after several years without.
The Automatic transmission suited his needs as it meant his wife could also drive the car if and when needed.

I understand that remaining works will continue at a similar pace when time and finances allow.

I sold the car for what it owed, minus initial transportation cost's and the value of any spares that came from my own stockpile.

Had I included a fair price for initial transport and my spares, the final costing would have been around 1100.00

To be honest I don't see that as a lot of money for a very "Practical, Collectable car", especially as very few of these early Montego estates survive today.

Oldcarnut:

Early Wheel bearings where of the "Split type" (one each side of the hub) which where prone to fail earlier than expected, they soon changed to a "Solid" one piece type that is still used in such cars as the MGF and TF.

Carb issues where usually down to the ORFCO valve (Over Run Fuel cut Off) which on most surviving cars have it disconnected in the "open" position.

ECU's where made by the prince of darkness and the soldered joints tended to fail due to adverse changes in temperature, but can "with a careful eye" be resoldered.

Modern fuels can play havoc with the autochoke seals, as unleaded tends to make them swell, but new "Viton" seals are available for penny's and solve the issue.

And Finally...
All in all once the new owner has sorted any running in issues, and of course rectified paint work, she (or should I now say "He") will be good for many years to come.

("Hal" hadn't properly been run for almost ten years, and even then it was for around 500 miles per year average, and since 2008 barely run at all. )

Oldcarnut

#37 Post by Oldcarnut » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Of course back in the nineties, parts were not so easy for us to get hold of.No ebay for us etc.Items that seemed impossible to obtain back then maybe was not to be the case if you knew where to look.So, things looked to be worse than they actually were.Still, nice motor all the same.