Volvo S40

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
rich.

Re: Volvo S40

#11 Post by rich. » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:34 pm

have you tried belgian beer? aparently its better than their cars :lol: :lol:

Richard Moss

#12 Post by Richard Moss » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:53 pm

V/S40 are Dutch built, are they not? Up to 2004, anyway

The engine bolts sound like the one on the Honda engines Rover fitted. The only way I could shift the crank pulley bolt on an 827 was to wedge the breaker bar against the ground and turn the engine over on the starter motor

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:35 pm

:oops: Belgium/the DAF plant in Holland, whichever, it's all about which square the cow poohs in.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#14 Post by TerryG » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Richard Moss wrote:The only way I could shift the crank pulley bolt on an 827 was to wedge the breaker bar against the ground and turn the engine over on the starter motor
That is because some people tighten the crank pulley bolt by wedging a spanner between the crank and the block then putting a 6ft bar on the bolt and jumping on it. I really hope I don't have to change my oil pump any time soon............
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Richard Moss

#15 Post by Richard Moss » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:58 am

TerryG wrote:That is because some people tighten the crank pulley bolt by wedging a spanner between the crank and the block then putting a 6ft bar on the bolt and jumping on it. I really hope I don't have to change my oil pump any time soon............
In the case of the Honda-engined Rovers, that's how they came from the factory (C27 V6 and D16 I4 alike). It's not just the crank pulleys, either, it's all the engine related bolts - plus they were odd sizes like 12mm and 14mm

rich.

#16 Post by rich. » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:26 pm

found a tidy lhd one on autotrader...can you reccomend them? :lol:

SirTainleyBarking

#17 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:08 pm

UKJeeper wrote:I know i'm teaching you to suck eggs, but when i found myself snapping breaker bars on my YJ front wheel hub nuts, i eventually had a mate bring his Air impact wrench over and run it until the hub nut surrendered.
Thats how I suspect Ovlov dealers do the job. Hit it with a rattle gun. I've got one of the leccy ones that hooks onto the battery. Not sure if it would be man enough to do the job in place of a proper air powered one
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

Richard Moss

#18 Post by Richard Moss » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:39 am

I broke my electric one doing the crank pulley on an 827. I also broke my (old) breaker bar but the new Halfords* one I bought as a replacement was man enough for the job.

* actually it may have been machine mart ......

tractorman

#19 Post by tractorman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:34 am

Perhaps a case for 3/4" drive sockets?

About forty years ago at the David Brown agency where I worked, a fitter was using a 1/2" Snap-On breaker bar with a 1 1/16" AF socket to remove a back wheel nut on a tractor when the end broke off. Snap-On had a replacement there the next morning and didn't seem concerned that the fitter used a six-foot scaffold pipe and two apprentices to try to get the nut off! 3/4 drive socket stuff was stupidly expensive in those days - even I have four or five 3/4" sockets and breaker bar now - eBay has changed things somewhat!

I broke my Halfords 1/2" breaker bar (a 18" or so one) trying to remove a similarly large wheel nut from my trailer and they gave me a new one - they didn't mind about the abuse as it was guaranteed for life. I bought the 3/4" drive stuff after that: it's OK having a warranty, but when the item breaks and the machine is blocking the drive - or needed straight away, it is a PITA!

Richard Moss

#20 Post by Richard Moss » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:55 am

I now have a 3/4" drive socket set. It makes short work of Jeep hub nuts!